An Old School Catholic Message Board

How did you come up with your screen name?

Old_Joe

So, I've always wondered what's the story behind some of your screen names. In my case, and others I'm sure, I got it from my Confirmation Saint, Joseph of Cupertino. It was his nickname towards the end of his life. I think it denotes affection, wisdom, that sort of thing. What about everyone else?

Noel's angel

I was good friends with a priest called Noel and he used to call me his angel and then he died and I joined the phorum a few months later and I thought it would be a good tribute/reminder of us.

Fidei Defensor

Mine means defender of the faith.. and yep, i like to do that. Just not on the debate table here.. it scares me.

IcePrincessKRS

haha Hasn't there been a thread about this before?

My SN is a nickname I got when I was in college, after 3 different people called me Ice Princess (in relation to different things), unaware that someone else had already called me that, it just kind of stuck, particularly since the last person who gave me the name is my husband. lol KRS are my initials.

St. Francis de Sales speaks in his [i]Introduction to the Devout Life[/i] to "Philothea", a representative woman who wishes to live a holy life while still in the world. It means lover of God.

Edited by philothea

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 25 2005, 02:14 PM']St. Francis de Sales speaks in his [i]Introduction to the Devout Life[/i] to "Philothea", a representative woman who wishes to live a holy life while still in the world.  It means lover of God.
[right][snapback]623245[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is that Latin? I know in Greek "lover of God" would be Theophilus. Luke addresses his Gospel and the Acts of Apostles to a person of that name.

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jun 25 2005, 02:26 PM']Is that Latin?  I know in Greek "lover of God" would be Theophilus.  Luke addresses his Gospel and the Acts of Apostles to a person of that name.
[right][snapback]623279[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I am not sure. I thought Theophilus was beloved of God, but I haven't studied Greek in ages.

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 25 2005, 02:10 PM']mine is a nickname based off of the mispronounciation of my last name
[right][snapback]623229[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

haha my nickname at work is TAZ hehe

'cause nobody can pronounce my last name

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

mine means

outside the church there is no salvation

thats basically it
its offical dogma

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 25 2005, 02:41 PM']mine means

outside the church there is no salvation

thats basically it
its offical dogma
[right][snapback]623332[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

sweet, i never knew that- now you ever [i]cooler[/i] (and you thought it couldn't happen)

mine is a nickname that my friend gave me based off another nickname, but she wanted it to be "HER" nickname for me. 8706 is when i was born and when i'll graduate

Pic-chick
Pic=two things actually. It is short for piccolo and pictures. I play the piccolo and I love to take pictures.

chick=I am a girl. Chick means girl.

My sn is picchickolo (piccolo and then chick stuck in it.)

Meg