An Old School Catholic Message Board

NRSV bible translation

Maccabeus

Im somewhat troubled, I use the RSV bible, but for fun when I read some of the NRSV I noticed that its readability is way better, and the typography is better organized its easier to find things etc, But than again the vatican rejected it for liturgy purposes, But than again the Catholic schools around here use the NRSV, for study etc. Other than the fact, that the translators added (sisters, she etc) at least it says it the bottom of the page about the change, other than that is there anything seriously wrong with it, that one should completly get rid of it (question mark)

:tiphat:

Here in Canada, we use the NRSV for the Liturgy. I think it is a good Bible. It is a Prostant translation. It is based on the NIV (the new KJV, as in popularity) and only the verses that were from the Vulgate were used I.E. Jn. 3.16 and others. It translates Lk. 1.28 very bad as "Greeting, O favored One."

Canada uses the NRSV [i]Catholic Edition[/i].

It's a top-notch translation in my view, quite literal and scholarly, and suitable for both devotional reading and serious study. The drawback is that it uses inclusive language -- a major, major problem for many, many Catholics apparently -- but honestly, it has never hindered my enjoyment of the translation.

The Vatican rescinded permission for use of the NRSV Bible in the liturgy back in mid 1990s, but because the Canadian bishops had already printed Lectionaries using that translation, they were allowed to continue using it. When the CCCB prints new Lectionaries in the next couple of years they will have to use a different translation.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:53 AM']I like the Ignatius Bible, which uses the Catholic edition of the RSV.
[right][snapback]625152[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I got that exact same one, Dark blue hard covercover? :D
Something I also noticed about the NRSV even thou many claim its top notch translation, It gives me little bit of insecurity about what other changes they might have done and not informed us etc.

bottom line= The translation has to earn my trust, while the RSV came with trust just like a new t-shirt with a label.

I'm also thinking of studing both at the very exact same time, compare verse for verse.

:wave:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

in the NRSV in luke it dosen't say hail mary full of grace so when i try to show protestants in the bible that it does say that they are like o no look it dosen't thats just want catholics have been saying for a thousands of years so you think its in the bible. its not catholic

phatcatholic

personally, i would burn every inclusive-language translation i could get my hands on....................but that's just me

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jun 27 2005, 08:23 PM']personally, i would burn every inclusive-language translation i could get my hands on....................but that's just me
[right][snapback]625748[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen, brother!!!!

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i just cheched the RSV it says hail mary the lord is with you but not full of grace..... this is not good.....

please- i have seen a bible with an author- as in a guy says he wrote it, but that is the sad part- he did. it is very strange and in "today's language" with Jesus "hanging out" with people, etc. strange. :unsure:

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 27 2005, 07:25 PM']i just cheched the RSV it says hail mary the lord is with you but not full of grace..... this is not good.....
[right][snapback]625820[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You have to use the RSV-CE (Catholic Edition) and not just the RSV.

:)