An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is the incense made out of?

mulls

mulls,
Although there are many different types of incense, the most common and recognizable smell that Catholic churches use is frankincense and myrrh (two of three gifts presented to the infant Jesus). It's hard to find in most stores, but specialty stores should carry it. Don't buy the sticks or pyramids. Get the real frankincense. It kinda looks like crack, and you burn it by putting it on top of specially made incense burning charcoal.

[url="http://www.autom.com/category.jsp?path=-1|304477|304489|312089&id=17489"]Click here for incense and charcoal[/url]

i am sorry dUSt, but you opened yourself up for this- why do you know what crack looks like?
:P ;)

are there some kinds of incesnse that are different from that?

Edited by iggy

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 26 2005, 11:46 PM']mulls,
Although there are many different types of incense, the most common and recognizable smell that Catholic churches use is frankincense and myrrh (two of three gifts presented to the infant Jesus). It's hard to find in most stores, but specialty stores should carry it. Don't buy the sticks or pyramids. Get the real frankincense. It kinda looks like crack, and you burn it by putting it on top of specially made incense burning charcoal.

[url="http://www.autom.com/category.jsp?path=-1|304477|304489|312089&id=17489"]Click here for incense and charcoal[/url]
[right][snapback]624937[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He's correct peeps. Frankincense and myrrh "look like crack" because they are actually resins - that is, dried sap - from evergreen trees that grow naturally in the Middle East.

I also have a bit of Church incense that I bought at a Catholic supply store here in Houston that has the essential oils of Frankincense and myrrh, and one burns it on the round burning charcoals (sold where all good incense is sold) that is not the actual resin, but convienently infused within wood chips (akin to sawdust). This incense is nice around Christmas. But the resins are more authentic.

As far as dUSt (or myself for that matter) "knowing" what crack looks like, well.... I watch CSI. I don't know his excuse! :P

Brother Adam

Now if only I had $50 extra dollars sitting around. I still have to go for .20 cent stick incense :P

Kilroy the Ninja

You can burn the charcoal in a ceramic ash tray ($1 @ dollar store), the charcoal disks themselves are maybe $2.50 a pack (if that) and enough resin to have for several uses should not cost more than $5-$8 total. Less than that if you you get the essential oil infused stuff. Total outlay to enjoy should be less than $15, and likely less than $10.

I can usually get a nice size bag of frankincense for about $5. We have a vendor come to my job about twice a year who sells African goods, and he always has a nice supply of frankincense.

homeschoolmom

Guy in trench coat peers out from alley...

"Pssst, buddy... you wanna buy some frankincense...?"

hot stuff... does oregano look like crack? this stuff is supposed to look... like... crack? you know what, nevermind. leave the men coming out of allies selling stuff out of their jackets that looks like crack alone.

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:47 AM']hot stuff... does oregano look like crack?  this stuff is supposed to look... like... crack?  you know what, nevermind.  leave the men coming out of allies selling stuff out of their jackets that looks like crack alone.
[right][snapback]625177[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh sure NOW you tell me..

Where were you $30 bucks ago? Now my house smells like I work at the Olive Garden. <_<

there are worse things your house could smell like... hehe

no, must resist temptation to gross everyone out for no apparent reason! aaaughh