An Old School Catholic Message Board

This question is LONG overdue

phatcatholic

phatcatholic

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jun 28 2005, 06:54 AM']The only thing that has changed in my Church is that the choir have decided to sing during the Sign of Peace.  I read somewhere that you're not supposed to do this, but I don't want to say anything until I know for certain.  Anyone here know???[right][snapback]626075[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]is it the Lamb of God that they are singing? if so, this would be incorrect. my understanding is that the Lamb of God is sung while the priest is breaking the consecrated bread for all to share. since this breaking of the bread is to occur after the sign of peace, the singing of the lamb of God during the sign of peace would be incorrect.

from the GIRM, #82-83:[list][i]The Rite of Peace[/i]

[b]82. [/b]The Rite of Peace follows, by which the Church asks for peace and unity for herself and for the whole human family, and the faithful express to each other their ecclesial communion and mutual charity before communicating in the Sacrament.

As for the sign of peace to be given, the manner is to be established by Conferences of Bishops in accordance with the culture and customs of the peoples. It is, however, appropriate that each person offer the sign of peace only to those who are nearest and in a sober manner.

[i]The Fraction[/i]

[b]83. [/b]The priest breaks the Eucharistic Bread, assisted, if the case calls for it, by the deacon or a concelebrant. Christ's gesture of breaking bread at the Last Supper, which gave the entire Eucharistic Action its name in apostolic times, signifies that the many faithful are made one body (1 Cor 10:17) by receiving Communion from the one Bread of Life which is Christ, who died and rose for the salvation of the world. The fraction or breaking of bread is begun after the sign of peace and is carried out with proper reverence, though it should not be unnecessarily prolonged, nor should it be accorded undue importance. This rite is reserved to the priest and the deacon.

The priest breaks the Bread and puts a piece of the host into the chalice to signify the unity of the Body and Blood of the Lord in the work of salvation, namely, of the living and glorious Body of Jesus Christ. The supplication Agnus Dei, is, as a rule, sung by the choir or cantor with the congregation responding; or it is, at least, recited aloud. This invocation accompanies the fraction and, for this reason, may be repeated as many times as necessary until the rite has reached its conclusion, the last time ending with the words dona nobis pacem (grant us peace).
[/list]i hope that helps

pax christi,
phatcatholic

Noel's angel

It isn't the Lamb of God, it is a hymn called 'Prayer for Peace' that we sing.
I haven't been joining in with this hymn because I wasn't sure, but now I will. Thank you!

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jul 5 2005, 06:37 AM']Thanks :)

It isn't the Lamb of God, it is a hymn called 'Prayer for Peace' that we sing.
I haven't been joining in with this hymn because I wasn't sure, but now I will.  Thank you!
[right][snapback]632022[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The sign of peace really shouldn't take all that long, so I can't imagine being able to sing a song during it.

phatcatholic

yea, for real................there's really no point in singing a song either. every song in the mass has a purpose, but i'm at a loss for what the purpose of this song would be, or what the song would hope to achieve that the sign of peace itself does not achieve. even tho there are no documents that speak against it (i could be wrong), i wouldn't sing it if i were you.

Noel's angel

I know, its quite a short little thing- we only usually sing one or two verses which are:

Peace before us, peace behind us, peace under our feet. Peace within us, peace over us, let all around us be peace.

(repeat with 'love')

I think I'll stick with not singing it, just to make sure then

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jul 5 2005, 06:55 AM']I know, its quite a short little thing- we only usually sing one or two verses which are:

Peace before us, peace behind us, peace under our feet.  Peace within us, peace over us, let all around us be peace.

(repeat with 'love')

I think I'll stick with not singing it, just to make sure then
[right][snapback]632036[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I've never heard of this practice. I don't believe that there is any song required during the sign of peace. The only thing that is required is the verse of the priest (The peace of the Lord be always with you) and the response of the congregation (And with your spirit), and then the exchange of the sign itself among the members of the congregation.

Noel's angel

I know, that's what makes me think its dodgy, but since I can't find any document which says it is wrong, then I can't really say anything

phatcatholic

i don't sing the contemporary folk songs we are prone to hear at mass anyway. that song sounds like one of them.

btw, that reminds me of another question i have always had: should i sing these ridiculous songs by david haas and marty haugen, or what? i don't think they're fit for the mass, but if the message is sound, should i sing them anyway? would i be worshipping the Lord inadequately by singing them or not by singing them? (a case could be made either way, i'm afraid)

what do you all think? let me know

pax christi,
phatcatholic

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jul 5 2005, 07:11 AM']I know, that's what makes me think its dodgy, but since I can't find any document which says it is wrong, then I can't really say anything
[right][snapback]632051[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The burden of proof lies with them, not you. They have to show that what they are doing conforms to the rubrics.

I mean think about it: I doubt sincerely that the Congregation for Divine Worship has ever issued a document saying that the lay faithful are not allowed to bring automatic weapons into Church during the Mass, but that certainly does not mean that you have a right to bring them.

Noel's angel

lol, that is very true. They should have a reason for why the want to sing this hymn and how it is going to add to the Mass. I'll have a word