An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harry Potter

Dudette

avemarisstella

Yay for Papa!

I weakened when the films came out thinking, "I'm old enough to keep my faith intact..." Now, I see that that was a classic case of arrogant 'I have a pope in my belly' thinking.

Here's O'Brien's great essay on the topic:
[url="http://www.lifesite.net/features/harrypotter/obrienpotter.html"]http://www.lifesite.net/features/harrypott...rienpotter.html[/url] (from Catholic World Report)

Yay!

I read the first "Harry Potter" book that came out and watched a couple of the movies.

I know many people think there's nothing wrong with it , though I'd have to defer to the Pope's judgment.

It is, after all, a function of his office to warn us about spiritual dangers.

I'd have to say, it is most likely true in any case.

Firstly, the whole series is mostly about witchcraft and the occult, which have been repeatedly condemned by the Church as diabolical.

Secondly, it is, in my opinion, a very escapist and almost Manichean or Gnostic storyline.

Obviously, people will say it's just harmless entertainment. But the reality is that what we read and what we watch influences the way we think and perceive reality.

That's why propaganda can so easily sway public opinion.

So, we have to be careful about that, even when there is no official word from the Holy See.

[quote name='Tony' date='Jul 13 2005, 03:41 AM'][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=35235"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=35235[/url]
[right][snapback]641733[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks Tony, you got to it before I did...haha.

Go Pope! ^_^

Guest Eremite

It's not really the Pope vs. Harry Potter.

It's Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger vs. Harry Potter.

Should the Holy Father choose to address Harry Potter formally, as Supreme Pontiff, that will be his preogative. But I highly doubt he will.

I haven't read the books personally, but I have also had concerns, based on the topic material.

Ultimately, it is up to parents to decide what is appropriate or inappropriate for their children.

Brother Adam

As an adult I will continue to be informed about the books and the wife will continue to read them and enjoy them for their entertainment value until the day comes that they are placed on the forbidden book list

[quote name='Philippe' date='Jul 13 2005, 02:11 AM']its fiction like anything else. How can this be bad if its read in the right context
[right][snapback]641739[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is not just like fiction because it contains spells from the occult.

Harry Potter with Spells from the Occult = bad

Fiction with out Spells from the Occult = not bad.

HEY PEOPLE THE OCCULT IS BAD AND REALLY EXSISTS!

Edited by Theoketos

I'm reading the next book. The books are fiction and I'm adult enough to realize that.

I like the Harry Potter series.

Guest Eremite

Just because a book is fiction doesn't mean anything it says is a-ok.

Trashy "love" novels are fiction. The characters aren't REALLY committing adultery. But that doesn't mean they're just fine to read.

I understand your point.

But the books are not forbidden (as of yet). They in no way corrupt me or my faith. I can't speak for those who may be more impressionable, but that is not the case for me.

Ultimately, I will decide what is appropriate for me to read.

Kilroy the Ninja

I think the Pope's (and yes, I seriously doubt he has changed his opinion about the books upon becoming Pontifex Maximus) main concern here was for [i]children[/i] reading these books.

As a parent, if the Pope has reservations about something for my child, who am I to [i]choose[/i] against his reservations?

Perhaps when and if my child is a well-formed teen. (There are far worse literary monsters lurking out there though I agree).

How sad though that there are so many people out there who "know better" than our Papa - or think they do.

What a comment on the state of the body of the Church.

Guest Eremite

[quote]But the books are not forbidden (as of yet). [/quote]

Well, no books are forbidden. And I don't expect the Index to be making a reappearance any time soon (which is probably a good thing).

how many times have we debated this topic ? lol this topic gets debated more than the Immaculate Conception and Assumption lol

Kilroy the Ninja

I placed it here in open mic simply for edification - I didn't realize there had already been a thread about it (sorry for the duplication).

I suppose it could get moved to Debate.....