An Old School Catholic Message Board

What next?

Fides_et_Ratio

Fides_et_Ratio

Okay, so many of you know that my associate pastor and I don't get along well... at all. He's well known in the diocese (so I've learned) for his odd liturgical abuses. I wrote him a letter (after attempting to speak with him after a daily Mass) regarding his liturgical abuses and that I was offended by them, he called me and we argued some more. I talked to my pastor (SEVERAL times) we even e-mailed while I was in Europe. Nothing was happening, so I wrote a letter to the bishop in late March, he "replied" early April saying he would address the issue in "due time". There was a meeting for all the priests in the diocese in May on proper liturgical celebrations, etc. But still nothing has happened with this priest. Now, even our liturgical music director (and she and I don't always agree!) has recorded some of his homilies that were of question and plans to send the tape in to the bishop. However, I have a feeling she'll get the same result.

He just doesn't care. Period.

And if it wasn't hard enough just disagreeing over liturgical abuses, he treats me like it's all a joke! Usually he'll ignore me, but when he decides not to he always talks down to me like I'm in elementary school and plasters this fake grin on his face that I kid you not becomes a REAL occasion of sin for me... I tried to ignore it, but other people are catching on and keep asking me why I let him talk like that to me and I just shug and say that he's a priest (which is the ONLY thing that keeps me from wiping that grin off his face).

Anyway, should I write the bishop again? Write the CDF in Rome?

Mateo el Feo

I would recommend that you pick up a copy of the following book:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/089283840X/qid=1120006272/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-0252797-4749531?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"]Father, Forgive Me for I Am Frustrated: Growing in Your Faith Even When It Isn't Easy Being Catholic[/url] by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ.

At the end of the book, there are a variety of national organizations that may be able to help you in effecting positive change in your parish.

Priest are not freelancers who can invent their own mass. Their job is to be faithful to the GIRM; and Catholics have a right to expect priests avoid liturgical abuses, not to mention fidelity to the faith & morals teachings of the Church. Anything less is a scandal to the faithful.

Prayers for you, your priests, and your bishop.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i would try to set up in in person meeting with the bishop or write him a letter and say if he will not deal with the issue you will go over his head if you catch my drift...

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 28 2005, 09:33 PM']i would try to set up in in person meeting with the bishop or write him a letter and say if he will not deal with the issue you will go over his head if you catch my drift...
[right][snapback]626857[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not going to threaten the bishop. Not my job, nor my place.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

by no means threaten the bishop simply say that the issue is bieng ignored and that if he dosen't have the time to deal with go to someone else.

Guest Eremite

If nothing happens, then you'll just have to wipe the dust from your feet and move on.

Priests will answer to God for their actions. You carried out your charitable duty of fraternal correction (cf. Ezekiel 33).

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jun 28 2005, 09:56 PM']JMJ
6/28 - St. Iranaeus of Lyons

Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew.
[right][snapback]626886[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What do you mean?

I'm willing to go as far as it takes to get rid of this guy. He's past rehabilitation. I'd consider it a miracle if he changed his ways... the past parishes he's been at have been counting down the days to get him off their hands, and the previous bishop's response was just to move him to another parish because "it wasn't working out". Now we have a new bishop, one supposedly far more orthodox and engaging than the previous. I'd really like him to step up and deal with the issue of this priest.

if you'd consider it a miracle then ask for one.

Don't criticize priests overly much. There are ways to point it out in charity. If that hasn't worked (it doesn't sound like it) talk to the bishop (tried that). Get other parishoners to do the same things. Teach them the proper way.

Don't alienate the priest though. He is still a priest.

Thy Geekdom Come

Pray for the priest and the bishop and the diocese.

In the meantime...obedience and faith. ;)

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 28 2005, 11:03 PM']In the meantime...obedience and faith. ;)
[right][snapback]627005[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
or avoidance and complaints. :lol:

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jun 28 2005, 07:16 PM']What do you mean?

I'm willing to go as far as it takes to get rid of this guy. He's past rehabilitation. I'd consider it a miracle if he changed his ways... the past parishes he's been at have been counting down the days to get him off their hands, and the previous bishop's response was just to move him to another parish because "it wasn't working out". Now we have a new bishop, one supposedly far more orthodox and engaging than the previous. I'd really like him to step up and deal with the issue of this priest.
[right][snapback]626925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If the abuses are mainly liturgical in nature, you should probably write to the Congregation for Divine Worship, because it has competence in all matters liturgical.

[quote]In an altogether particular manner, let everyone do all that is in their power to ensure that the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist will be protected from any and every irreverence or distortion and that all abuses be thoroughly corrected. This is a most serious duty incumbent upon each and every one, and all are bound to carry it out without any favouritism.

Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff. It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity. [Congregation for Divine Worship, [u]Redemptionis Sacramentum[/u], nos. 183-184][/quote]

if his homilies really are bad (heretical), either obtain a copy of those tapes or write the transcript of them and include that in your letter to the CDF

Fides_et_Ratio

Anyone have the address for the CDF?

Next time I'm at the church I'll talk to the music director and see if I can have a copy of the tapes to include with my letter.