An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blessed And Sacred Hearts

mulls

I hear phatmassers often referring to the 'sacred heart of Jesus' or the 'immaculate heart of Mary.' Correct me if I reversed or screwed these up somehow. But could you explain what is meant by this, and what are the significance of the 'hearts'? Thanks.

sean

Good Friday

May you always know the love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Sean.

From New Advent:

"Devotion to the Sacred Heart is but a special form of devotion to Jesus... The worship, although paid to the Heart of Jesus, extends further than the Heart of flesh, being directed to the love of which this Heart is the living and expressive symbol. On this point the devotion requires no justification, as it is to the Person of Jesus that it is directed; but to the Person as inseparable from His Divinity." To read the entire New Advent article, go here: Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Also from New Advent:

"Just as devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is only a form of devotion to the adorable person of Jesus, so also is devotion to the Holy Heart of Mary but a special form of devotion to Mary. In order that, properly speaking, there may be devotion to the Heart of Mary, the attention and homage of the faithful must be directed to the physical heart itself. However, this in itself is not sufficient; the faithful must read therein all that the human heart of Mary suggests, all of which it is the expressive symbol and the living reminder: Mary's interior life, her joys and sorrows, her virtues and hidden perfections, and, above all, her virginal love for her God, her maternal love for her Divine Son, and her motherly and compassionate love for her sinful and miserable children here below." To read the entire New Advent article, go here: Devotion to the Heart of Mary

In other words, when we adore the Sacred Heart of Jesus and honor the Immaculate Heart of Mary, we are actually also adoring and honoring what those hearts represent -- their love.

Usually, you will see the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary represented by icons that look like the following:

ihm.jpg

sacredheart.jpg

If after reading the New Advent articles you have any questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them.