An Old School Catholic Message Board

which is more important?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Faith or Relegion which is more important?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

someone asked me this i didn't know how to reply so i thought i'd ask y'all...

[color=purple]That's an interesting question. It's not like the faith vs. works conundrum...although it could almost be...because if you're saying "religion" is more important, you're saying the exterior works of going to church, not eating meat on Fridays, etc. are more important than believing. But you can't really say faith either because faith without works is meaningless. Can't they coexist? :wacko: That's not a fair question! :angry: hehehe...:P[/color]

Guest Eremite

The word "religion" comes from the Latin "religare", meaning to bind. Christians cannot have faith without something to have faith in. This "something" is the religare, the religion, the faith delivered "once for all" to the Saints (Jude 3). "Faith" is a verb and a noun. We have faith, and we have THE faith, which makes up our religion.

I have always understood religion as meaning, man's relationship to God.

I dont see how you can have one without the other.
Even to claim that you are not religious, in itself means you are part of 'a' religion.

and be careful...
that question that was posed to you sounds strangely familiar.
Please trust me on that.

I think he's asking for faith vs. works. Ask him to clarify what he means by religion and faith.

If he does mean "believing" vs. "doing stuff", tell him a believer will consequently because of his belief do stuff, and point him to James 2:14-26 for a good explanation.

The works show that there is faith present. If there are no works, there is no faith present, because faith produces works. That's just what it does. If you believe in God and try to follow Him, James gives the example that you will help your neighbor in need. You will act on your faith. But just because there are works does not necessarily mean there is faith also. They could be empty works. But if there is faith, there will be works too. Faith without works is dead.

its not a faith VS. Works thing it is a faith Vs. Relegious practices. so he was asking whats more important your faith or your relegion? i said both i have faith in my relegion.

Thy Geekdom Come

We have faith in our religion. Without faith, there could not be a religion. Without religion, faith would be empty.

Religion is faith to its fullest. When we have faith, it naturally takes the form of religion.

faith is what we believe. works is acting out what we believe. Faith and works build on each other. As we pray, As we believe, so we live. We act on our beliefs, and our actions influence our beliefs.

Fidei Defensor

Do you mean "organized" religion, as some call it. They believe in Jesus, but are "anti religion"..hmm

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jul 3 2005, 12:10 AM']Do you mean "organized" religion, as some call it. They believe in Jesus, but are "anti religion"..hmm
[right][snapback]630395[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Of course, Jesus very clearly came to found a Church. He Himself says so...therefore, they're goofy.