An Old School Catholic Message Board

Silent Retreat with Jesuits?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

This sounds very interesting... Has anyone gone on a silent retreat before? I'd love to hear anything...

Thy Geekdom Come

The seminarians at Conception have three day silent retreats opening and closing Lent. They're very good for spiritual growth and reflection. :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I think I am going to try to go to this one offered from July 18-24th... It is only about 30 minutes from my home. It really sounds like something to deepen my spiritual life and time to read some spiritual works like the Little Flowers of Saint Francis. I know I cannot make it all 7 days, but I could try 2 or 3 days. This is exciting :) I just asked mom if I could go and she said it depended on if I was needed to work at that time or not.
I'm excited either way :)

Here's some of the info for the retreat:
[quote]Taste what stillness has to offer. Hear God’s voice in your life, work, and relationships. This silent, individually-directed retreat is for those young adults, married or single, seeking to deepen their relationship with God. This can be a time for rest, thanksgiving, healing, reconciliation, or laying the foundations of your life. During the solitary and contemplative time you can journal, be artistic, read, walk the 80 acre grounds, listen to music or your own thoughts, and rest in your private room.

While on retreat you will:

* Spend much of the day in silent contemplation
    * Meet one-on-one with a trained spiritual director
    * Follow the path of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
    * Have the opportunity for Mass, reconciliation and prayer
    * Spiritual Directors include:

Fr. Mark Andrews, SJ
          Mr. Matt Couture
          Ms. Lea Dacanay
          Mr. Al Gustafson
          Mr. Radmar Jao, SJ

Requested contribution depends upon the amount of time spent at Bellarmine Retreat House.
Options include: Day only $45; One night $75; Two nights $140; Three nights $205; Four nights $270; Five nights $335; Six nights $400. Donations for spiritual direction are also welcomed.

No one will be refused due to finances, please pay what you can afford. Scholarships, if requested by July 11, are available. Refund requests received by July 11 will be honored less $10 processing fee.[/quote]

Thy Geekdom Come

Cool stuff...I say go for it...and I also think you should try whatever you feel God will give you the strength for.

Iggy did an hour of silence a day for Lent...first it was hard, but then she said it got easier.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 2 2005, 09:24 PM']Iggy did an hour of silence a day for Lent...first it was hard, but then she said it got easier.
[right][snapback]630327[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I must not have been around when that happened. :rolleyes:

JMJ
7/3 - Fourteenth Sunday (St. Thomas)

Yeah, we went on an eight-day silent retreat here at IPF in Omaha earlier this summer. It was phenomenal.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I just realized that most of the spiritual directors are lay people... wow that's something hard to miss...

Lounge Daddy

i did - 10 years ago
it was a great point of strength in my spiritual life

also - it went by much to quickly, more so than any week long vacation ;)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, now I just have to make sure that I am not needed at the time to work and then I will be all set! And then next weekend I don't want to be home because I know lots of people are going to Stuebenville, so instead, I want to go to the Monastery :)

JMJ
7/4 - St. Elizabeth of Portugal (Independence Day)[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jul 3 2005, 12:43 PM']I just realized that most of the spiritual directors are lay people...  wow that's something hard to miss...
[right][snapback]630671[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's not uncommon for laymen and laywomen to be spiritual directors on Ignatian retreats. Many people prefer laity to clergy.

mariology21

It sounds like a great opportunity! I've never been on a silent retreat but would love to go some day!

~Jen