An Old School Catholic Message Board

Official What Orders are You Considering Thread!

the_rev

ForHimAlone

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jul 5 2005, 08:27 AM']Their site is really cool, and what lovely habits! I think they're very pretty. Why do they get up at 3:40? Is it part of their spirit of penance or something? In the Order I am joining, each sister rises in the middle of the night twice a week for an hour of Adoration... I don't know about you, but getting up like that is very hard for me. God bless :)
[right][snapback]632017[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They rise at 3:40 A.M. so that they can prepare for Matins at 4:00 A.M. It's funny... during my visit I kept saying that maybe this will be where God wants me if He wakes me up in time for Matins. The last morning I woke up at 3:30 A.M! Those truly are the best hours of the day sometimes.

son_of_angels

I was thinking of the FSSP or the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (more likely the Institute, as the FSSP harbors quite a few extremists), but I think I might be open to the diocesan priesthood or the Franciscan Friars of the Eternal Word.

Edited by son_of_angels

Totus Tuus

[quote name='ForHimAlone' date='Jul 5 2005, 02:30 PM']They rise at 3:40 A.M. so that they can prepare for Matins at 4:00 A.M.  It's funny... during my visit I kept saying that maybe this will be where God wants me if He wakes me up in time for Matins.  The last morning I woke up at 3:30 A.M!  Those truly are the best hours of the day sometimes.
[right][snapback]632339[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I totally agree. For a short while I woke up at 4:30 a.m. each morning to start school (I'm home-schooled), and there is really something supernatural about the unearthly hours of the morning... such a closeness to God, or something.

ForHimAlone

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jul 5 2005, 05:46 PM']I totally agree. For a short while I woke up at 4:30 a.m. each morning to start school (I'm home-schooled), and there is really something supernatural about the unearthly hours of the morning... such a closeness to God, or something.
[right][snapback]632488[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Agreed! Never can there be found more stillness and tranquility than in the hours before the "stir of the day" begins. It's a time of silence and intimate prayer, I think.

mariology21

For over a year I was discerning whether I was called to the Religious Life. For quite some time I believed that's what God was saying. About six months ago I very very very seriously thought that I was called the Carmelites. But the more I pray the more I've realized that God is calling me to be a wife and a mother (of a VERY large family He has been telling me these past few weeks!!)

At first I was extremly "bummed" that He wasn't calling me to the Religious Life. But now I see His will and am going with it. And am quite at peace now! But I still have quite an affinity for the Carmelites and am now seriously considering whether to join the Third Order Carmelites. We shall see!!

~Jen

avemarisstella

Son of angels,

Great to see a possible future traddy priest. The FSSP priests I met in Australia were wonderful. They didn't seem at all bitter or reactionary and have had some very positive effects on the diocese they were in - the first Solemn High Mass in 40 years will be celebrated in St Mary's Cathedral soon. The fact that they split with Lefevbre seems to make 'safe'. I've never met any priests from the Institute of Christ the King, so I can't compare. We need priests for the Old Rite!!!

God bless you

MilesChristi

[quote]I've never met any priests from the Institute of Christ the King, so I can't compare. We need priests for the Old Rite!!![/quote]

I've been considering the Institute a bit as I continue to discern my vocation. Their love and reverence for the traditional liturgy is very beautiful. Monsignor Schmitz, the Vicar General of the order, was on EWTN Live with Father Pacwa recently.

Also, any girls here who have a love for the Tridentine Mass might be interested to know that a female branch of the Institute was recently founded - [url="http://www.institute-christ-king.org/AdorersRoyalHeart.htm"]Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Sovereign Priest[/url]

Apart from the Institute, two orders that are figuring prominently in my discernment right now are the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal and the Franciscan Friars of the Primitive Observance. They definitely have a different charism and way of life than the Institute. :D Hopefully, the Lord will soon show me which direction I should pursue more deeply.

Totus Tuus

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Jul 5 2005, 03:01 PM']I was thinking of the FSSP or the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (more likely the Institute, as the FSSP harbors quite a few extremists), but I think I might be open to the diocesan priesthood or the Franciscan Friars of the Eternal Word.
[right][snapback]632378[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
FSSP, Institute of Christ the King, and the MFVAs (and also the Fathers of Mercy) are my favorite Orders of the priesthood. Recently, I was on pilgrimage in France, and I met a few of the Abbes (seminarians) of the Institute of Christ the King. They were so impressive. They are also allowed to say the NO Mass as well, while FSSP does not, as far as I know. I hope that all goes well in your discernment!

Totus Tuus

[quote name='avemarisstella' date='Jul 5 2005, 09:42 PM']Son of angels,

Great to see a possible future traddy priest. The FSSP priests I met in Australia were wonderful. They didn't seem at all bitter or reactionary and have had some very positive effects on the diocese they were in - the first Solemn High Mass in 40 years will be celebrated in St Mary's Cathedral soon. The fact that they split with Lefevbre seems to make 'safe'. I've never met any priests from the Institute of Christ the King, so I can't compare. We need priests for the Old Rite!!!

God bless you
[right][snapback]632766[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
FSSP split from Lefebvre, as well. Mother Angelica interviewed an FSSP priest also the year after they were founded... so it seems like EWTN likes both the Institute and FSSP. That's a good sign!

Ooh, a lot of contemplatives! very nice! I'm looking into the Daughters of St. Paul, the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal and the Salesians myself...

avemarisstella

MilesChristi,

Thanks for the link to the Adoratrices...
I thought I had it all sorted out (Dominican), but I've just written a letter of enquiry to those Sisters now too. St Francis de Sales, St Benedict, St Thomas Aquinas. And the Immaculate Conception. I was born on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception!

Yikes, my list grows. At least I have lots of options to test out before concluding that I'm looking at the wrong state of life.

I haven't written to the Oblates of Mary, Queen of Apostles yet, but I'll have to get onto that very soon.

I thought I didn't want to leave Australasia, but I might have to. Oh dear, I don't know how my family would cope with me on the other side of the world, but Italy would probably meet their interest!

God bless you all

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i have been discerning between the married life or the priesthood. the orders that interest me are the institute of Christ the King, Fraternity of st. Peter, or a diocean priest.

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

benedictaj

[quote]I thought I had it all sorted out (Dominican), but I've just written a letter of enquiry to those Sisters now too. St Francis de Sales, St Benedict, St Thomas Aquinas. And the Immaculate Conception. I was born on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception!

Yikes, my list grows. At least I have lots of options to test out before concluding that I'm looking at the wrong state of life.

I thought I didn't want to leave Australasia, but I might have to. Oh dear, I don't know how my family would cope with me on the other side of the world, but Italy would probably meet their interest!
[/quote]

*Sigh...* Yes, I totally agree with you. I was so certain about everything a couple of weeks ago and since then, I just don't know. Oh, except, I still think I'm called to be a Dominican :wub: and I really hope so too!!!

For the first time in a very long time, I am actually reconsidering active Dominicans...the two most obvious of course!!! ;) But, it says [u]something[/u] if you cry when watching a video of an order, doesn't it? I felt sooo happy and different, like when I accepted that it looks like God is calling me to radically give my life to Him!!!

And, yes. It will be sooooooooooo hard for my family when I leave. I will be 18 by then luckily....its funny though, I really just want to drop everything RIGHT NOW and go enter somewhere!!!!!

crusader03

This September 8 (God willing), I will be entering the [url="http://www.sistersofmary.org"]Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist[/url]. I just returned from pre-postulant week, in which 17 young women lived with the sisters for four days. I miss it so much!!!!!