An Old School Catholic Message Board

while i'm thinkin music and liturgy...

Aloysius

something that annoyed me:

the organist at my aunts funeral refused to allow "Danny Boy" to be sung saying it is not "Sacred Music"

okay.. okay... so we're going to have like... chant and stuff? that's cool we can have Danny Boy at the grave site then... or...

we sang stuff like "Let There be Peace on Earth" and "On Eagle's Wings"... is that sacred music??? at least Danny Boy is a Catholic song... and mentions praying "an ave". <_<

so what do you think?

Guest Eremite

Danny Boy is self centered. It's about a human who loves a dead human. Except for the promise to pray (again, focusing on a human act) it has absolutely nothing to do with the relationship between man and God. Funerals are meant to commend a person's soul to God; not sing love songs for them.

That's my opinion, anyway.

so "Let there be peace on earth" which focuses completely on human actions is okay?

we had Danny Boy at the grave site and that was probably better... it's just that Danny Boy compared to stuff like Let there be peace on earth and on eagle's wings... ehh... I'm not seeing the other two songs as too "sacred"

Guest Eremite

[quote]so "Let there be peace on earth" which focuses completely on human actions is okay?
[/quote]

hehe. I didn't say that. I definitely would not want "Let There Be Peace on Earth" sung at my funeral. What do I care about peace on earth? I'm dead. :D

Besides, the hymn is a truncated version of St. Francis's beautiful prayer:

[quote]Oh, Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
and it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.[/quote]

When I die, I'm gonna call the Eastern Catholics who sung for the Pope at his funeral. Now THAT was a heck of a Liturgical display. :cool:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 4 2005, 10:41 AM']When I die, I'm gonna call the Eastern Catholics who sung for the Pope at his funeral. Now THAT was a heck of a Liturgical display.  :cool:
[right][snapback]631405[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: he he....

lol... I'm not so sure... just because they both mention peace? w/e :wacko:
[quote]Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be.
With God as our father
[siblings :wacko:] all are we.
Let me walk with my [sibling]
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now.
With every step i take
Let this be my solemn vow.
To take each moment
And live each moment
With peace eternally.
Let ther be peace on earth,
[/quote]

Noel's angel

NO DANNY BOY AT FUNERALS!!!!!!!!!! Never, ever, ever, EVER. Fine-if it is by the graveside, but NOT inside the Church. NO

toledo_jesus

can you specify what songs you don't want them to sing at the funeral????

I will haunt the organist if they play On Eagle's Wings at my funeral...if they play anything by that most despicable trifecta of fuzzy kumbayatholics Haugen, Haas and Schutte.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 4 2005, 12:28 PM']something that annoyed me:

the organist at my aunts funeral refused to allow "Danny Boy" to be sung saying it is not "Sacred Music"

okay.. okay... so we're going to have like... chant and stuff?  that's cool we can have Danny Boy at the grave site then... or...

we sang stuff like "Let There be Peace on Earth" and "On Eagle's Wings"... is that sacred music??? at least Danny Boy is a Catholic song... and mentions praying "an ave".  <_<

so what do you think?
[right][snapback]631394[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Neither of those are good songs......"On Eagle's Wings" was written by a priest though.....as much as I hate it, it is a Catholic song. And I honestly couldn't care less about "Let there be Peace on Earth." I know that it is supposed to begin with me, but that is WAAAAAYYYYYY too much pressure.

And the PC version of LTBPOE:

The peace that was meant to be.
With God, Our Creator
Children all are we.
Let us walk with each other
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now.
With every step I take
Let this be my solemn vow.
To take each moment
And live each moment
With peace eternally.
Let ther be peace on earth,

Brother Adam

So let me understand this, if the deceased had a specific request that they wanted sung at their funeral it could be sung at the grave? I don't know a lot about Catholic funerals, cept what is in the Catechism. I know my own mom wants "I was there to hear your borning cry". Would that be acceptable?

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 4 2005, 06:44 PM']So let me understand this, if the deceased had a specific request that they wanted sung at their funeral it could be sung at the grave? I don't know a lot about Catholic funerals, cept what is in the Catechism. I know my own mom wants "I was there to hear your borning cry". Would that be acceptable?
[right][snapback]631675[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is it theologically correct and is it appropriate for Catholic worship?

Brother Adam

It's basically a song that is sung at alot of baptisms, but this is in the Lutheran Church, however there isn't anything doctrinally wrong with it. I don't know if the Catholic Church uses it.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 4 2005, 06:56 PM']It's basically a song that is sung at alot of baptisms, but this is in the Lutheran Church, however there isn't anything doctrinally wrong with it. I don't know if the Catholic Church uses it.
[right][snapback]631686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Probably not......I have never heard of it. Not that this means anything at all. But most Lutheran hymns are not appropriate for Catholic use.