An Old School Catholic Message Board

Born Fundamentalist

john6:63

Hello board,

I am a Baptist, fundamental at that, so yes, I’m a fundamentalist. I have just recently been studying the Catholicism. Honestly, one day I was reading the Gospel of John and came across chapter 6 and this time I just couldn’t hand wave John 6 as being a metaphor. So secretly I started researching the Catholic Church desiring to form my own opinion, other than what David Hunt or Jack Chick had to say about the Church.

I was a member of Baptistboard.com until I was recently banned for defending the Catholic faith. I didn’t think I was doing any good, b/c I am still learning myself, but they banned me anyway. My wife is worried that I have fallen off the deep end and the person who used to be a staunch fundamentalist is now a “Catholic sympathizer.”

I asked her today if she would like to attend a RCIA at a local parish, just to learn more together, but she has yet to give me an answer. She maybe easier to convert since she was raised Methodist and she’s only been a Fundamentalist for the time we’ve been married (7 years), but it is enough to brain wash her.

So I don’t know what to do! My heart and soul desires longs for a more intimate relationship with Christ and I have yet to find it in a Baptist, Non-denominational, Methodist, Free Methodist or Southern Baptist Churches.

Should I wait for my wife to warm up to the idea of considering the Catholic Church or should I attend the RCIA myself? How about my kids, should I take them with me on this journey? I have tried to talk with her about the Catholic beliefs, but we end up arguing.

God bless,
Tommy

toledo_jesus

you can't get more fundamental than the Catholic Church. Do what you feel God is calling you to do. If everyone in the world goes against what God is telling you, who are you going to side with? Your wife may warm up to the idea or she may not. Don't be confrontational, but don't let your interest die because you encounter resistance!

There are a number of converts here from fundamentalist faiths. they will offer you more than I could...I'm a cradle Catholic myself.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showforum=19"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showforum=19[/url]

you're not alone ;) :)

well... i'm a cradle Catholic... but them people over at that board will welcome you and understand what you're goin through!

I'll let some of the pros answer your questions, but you and your family will definitely be in my prayers! :hearts: Welcome to phatmass; you can learn so much here!

I guess I will suggest a book to you. The book "Rome Sweet Home" by Scott Hahn is very good. It tells about his family's journey to the Catholic Church.

Brother Adam
:o Dude! Tommy Welcome!!!! :o

Name's Brother Adam. Former Baptistboard.com moderator :) My wife and I were banned after we joined the "Tiber Swim Team" last year. I'm so glad you have joined us here and have opened your heart to being intellectually honest about learning about the Catholic faith. The Catholics here helped me along my own journey home. When I came here I debated with these guys for a couple of years before I decided to convert, it sounds like you are ready!

John 6 is a very convicting verse! When the day is said and done fundamentalists just can't explain it away. Nor can they many, many other books. Have you read any good Catholic books, like "Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic"? It's by David Currie, you would enjoy it.

The depth in theology and Bible that you will find here, you will find in no other denomination. It's profound. So how do you feel about Mary? The Pope? Tradition? the Sacraments? No "Faith Alone" or "Scripture Alone"? These were all issues I dealt with that anyone here could tell you about.

So here's an offer: If you are interested I can send you a free Catechism of the Catholic Church and a CD with tons of apologetical information including the 38 volume set of the Early Church Fathers. My apostolate makes this possible for those who are coming Home or even thinking about it! Send me a PM with your address if you are interested. I'll send you a couple of other books and some other stuff as well.

I think you should continue to pray and study, and I believe you should talk to your wife a lot about where you believe God is calling you too, but ultimately if you know you need to come to Jesus in the Church, then nothing can stop you. Be very sensitive, humble, and loving towards your wife. My own wife ended up finally deciding to convert with me. We were both confirmed this last Easter Vigil.

So exciting! Welcome!! :D

Adam

homeschoolmom

Hi, Tommy.... Welcome to Phatmass.

Please feel free to hit the Converts Annoymous phorum. There are many evangelicals/fundimentalist turned Catholics around here...

peace.

peach_cube

It can definitely be a dicey situation... Scott and Kimberly Hahn had some difficulties when Scott first became drawn to Catholicism, and Kimberly was very resistant. It can create alot of tension in a relationship if your spouse isn't ready or willing to learn more. I would be careful to let her take things at her own pace and not put too much pressure on her. If she isn't willing then I would limit the kids exposure for the time being. Kid's can be a alot more willing to learn and accept and this could cause your wife to feel "ganged up on." Otherwise, If she is willing to learn you should definitely get the kids involved. However, if you feel drawn you should definitely find out more. If you pray alot together it will help with any problems you may encounter. You have my prayers.

I have an extra copy of "Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic" By David Currie, if you (or your wife) are interested. It is a pretty good place for a Fundamentalist to start learning about Catholicism.

catholicapmom

John 6 was what got me looking into the Catholic Church too! I still need to post my conversion story, btw....

But long story short, I did some more research and after a couple of years of denying that maybe Catholics [i]do[/i] have it right, I converted last year. I didn't have to convince my dh since he has always been a Catholic. But my advice for handling your wife (coming from someone who is a wife herself ;) ) would be to let God work in her life. Don't try to force her to join you in RCIA. Let the joy of what you'll discover and how it affects your life be the example and God will do His work. I also suggest reading Scott Hahn's "Rome Sweet Home" and also "Fundamentalism vs. Catholicism" by Karl Keating. VERY good books.

God Bless!! I'll pray for you and your journey.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Jul 4 2005, 04:34 PM']you can't get more fundamental than the Catholic Church. [/quote]

Disagree. I do not practice the Catholic faith anymore (it's debatable if I ever did), however, from my experience both as a Catholic and a protestant, I feel as if the Catholic Church is one of the more relaxed, down to earth Christian communities. I felt as a Baptist, I was losing my sanity, and looking back now, I can’t believe some of the things I professed to believe. The Catholic Church at least brought me back to reality.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Jul 4 2005, 08:45 PM']Disagree.  I do not practice the Catholic faith anymore (it's debatable if I ever did), however, from my experience both as a Catholic and a protestant, I feel as if the Catholic Church is one of the more relaxed, down to earth Christian communities.  I felt as a Baptist, I was losing my sanity, and looking back now, I can’t believe some of the things I professed to believe.  The Catholic Church at least brought me back to reality.
[right][snapback]631786[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'd hate to see your insanity... ^_^

I’d like to thank those that have responded and especially “homeschoolmom” who recommend this forum before she too was “banned” from the Baptist Board. I look forward to those here to help me out of this fundamentalist grip and its going to be a rough ride, because my whole family are fundamental Baptist, but a few of my wife’s family down in Louisiana are Catholic, so that may help out a little.

I’ve been thinking about taking the first step and actually attending a Mass this Saturday night; just get a feel of the style of worship. Would a parish mind if I sat in on a Mass and not be Catholic? Here’s a link to a parish I found near by: [url="http://www.saintchristopherparish.org/"]http://www.saintchristopherparish.org/[/url] They are offering RCIA classes starting in September and I am thinking of signing up and hoping my wife will join me. Another cool option this parish offers is every second Wednesday, they offer an answer and question evening for those that are interested in the Catholic faith. So I thought that was pretty cool. You don’t see many Churches do that.

Thanks again for the welcomes,

God bless,
Tommy

Welcome to Phatmass. :wavey:

I will keep you in my prayers and you continue your journey of faith.

homeschoolmom

Any Catholic parish would very much like you to visit! Just remember to refrain from receiving the Eucharist.

Also, refer to the "He might be a slider" list in the converts annonymous forum. (We say "peace" during the Sign of Peace, not "Hi" like I did when we visited... :blush: )

Brother Adam

Hehe. Aww. I'm sorry HSmom. I say "Peace be with you"

Tommy, it looks like it is a good parish to go to, though we will know more when you visit the parish and tell us all about your experience. :D