An Old School Catholic Message Board

Born Fundamentalist

john6:63

MilesChristi

[quote]Hmm... tonight might just be the night... [/quote]

The Rosary is such a wonderful prayer. It gets deeper and deeper the more often you pray it... :)

sweetpea316

:wub: I can't wait...

The site makes it really easy until I get the hang of it myself. Thanks!! :D

Brother Adam

[quote name='sweetpea316' date='Jul 5 2005, 07:47 PM']Wonderful!
Thanks! I appreciate it!  ^_^

Hmm... tonight might just be the night...
[right][snapback]632551[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:D I'll ask Mary to intercede for your intentions in a special way tonight.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jul 5 2005, 08:12 PM']:clap:
[right][snapback]632580[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:clap: Ditto :clap:

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='john6:63' date='Jul 4 2005, 04:24 PM']Hello board,

I am a Baptist, fundamental at that, so yes, I’m a fundamentalist. I have just recently been studying the Catholicism. Honestly, one day I was reading the Gospel of John and came across chapter 6 and this time I just couldn’t hand wave John 6 as being a metaphor. So secretly I started researching the Catholic Church desiring to form my own opinion, other than what David Hunt or Jack Chick had to say about the Church.

I was a member of Baptistboard.com until I was recently banned for defending the Catholic faith. I didn’t think I was doing any good, b/c I am still learning myself, but they banned me anyway. My wife is worried that I have fallen off the deep end and the person who used to be a staunch fundamentalist is now a “Catholic sympathizer.”

I asked her today if she would like to attend a RCIA at a local parish, just to learn more together, but she has yet to give me an answer. She maybe easier to convert since she was raised Methodist and she’s only been a Fundamentalist for the time we’ve been married (7 years), but it is enough to brain wash her.

So I don’t know what to do! My heart and soul desires longs for a more intimate relationship with Christ and I have yet to find it in a Baptist, Non-denominational, Methodist, Free Methodist or Southern Baptist Churches.

Should I wait for my wife to warm up to the idea of considering the Catholic Church or should I attend the RCIA myself? How about my kids, should I take them with me on this journey? I have tried to talk with her about the Catholic beliefs, but we end up arguing.

God bless,
Tommy
[right][snapback]631614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

WOW! That's amazing! Praise God for your journey Home! I am very happy for you that you are on your way to coming Home and being Catholic! Know that you have MUCH prayers from all of us for your journey!

Thats awesome your looking into the RCIA program! i just recently read someone's xanga who pointed out some statistics....who is in the same place as you :cool:

[quote]I have been reading a lot about the facts of the Catholic Church in America in terms of demographics and other significant facts about the Catholic community.  One of the most suprising things is that on average between 1997 and 2002, 87,500 Christians converted to Catholicism from another type of Christian church, these statistics can be found at [url="http://www.usccb.org/comm/cip.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/comm/cip.shtml[/url].  This suprises me because by my personal experience when I non-Catholic Christian starts to agree with the Catholic Church it's very shocking to the individual.  In some senses I think it is because in the Protestant community the Church is often presented as something man made as opposed to the visible Church that was founded by Our Lord Jesus Christ, which of course will build a negative image.  I personally went through a phase of denial asking myself, "Is it true that I could possibly agree with the Catholic Church on everything?"  Well now I agree with everything I have read and will probably not disagree with much.

Another interesting article that I read was one recommended to me by my friend dingodonkey.
It basically outlines Catholic and Evangelical relations today.  You can find it here:
[url="http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2005/004/1.10.html"]http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2005/004/1.10.html[/url]
One of the interesting things that I read in the article is the results from surveying Evangelicals that decided to "return home." (That is the common term for when an evangelical joins the Catholic Church)

"McKnight interviewed thirty evangelicals who became Roman Catholic and then analyzed reasons for their conversions. Four principle causes emerged-certainty, history, unity, and authority-all of which have been intimated in the personal accounts already examined. McKnight's description of reasons for converting to Catholicism is important in itself, but it also offers to contemporary evangelicals a clearer picture of their own strengths and weaknesses."

These are really the four reasons that spurred me onto joining the Catholic church,
Certainty, History, Unity, and Authority.  And from what I understand of different conversion stories those are often the more common reasons to join the Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church. [/quote]

I've always thought of the verse that said, Ask and you shall recieve, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be open unto you! Because for those who truly seek JESUS will find Him!! :wub:

Thank you for defending the faith in what I seem to hear is a very hostile place! :unsure: lol and we love to have you here......

The Catholic Church is amazing....and where you will find Truth!!!! :wub: :wub:

God bless and feel free to ask away on anything on the faith....thats one of the best things this board has and does well!!!!

littleflower+JMJ

alot of conversion stories i've read talk about they yearned and had a desire for a more intimate relationship in faith with Christ than what they had as a protestant........coming into the Catholic Church, to the Eucharist, and its many devotions has answered their prayers for more than they could have dreamed of!

God is good!! :wub: and the Rosary is awesome! :angel:

[quote name='thessalonian']Quick question. Do you understand that the rosary is actually about Jesus? Have you tried explaining this to your wife?

It's powerful. Do you have one?[/quote]

I have casually read about the rosary on the net. I can’t remember the website, but the site went through the different prayers associated with the rosary, which all seemed pretty much focused on Jesus Christ. I really couldn’t find any prayer that seemed like Mary worship, but asked me 6 months ago and I’m sure I could have found something that I could try and pin as Mary worship. Other than that I haven’t done much study on the rosary.

I have done a quick study online about the Marian doctrines at ourladyweb.com and that site helped a lot. And I tried to read the rosary to my wife, but she’s still kinda closed to the idea. Also, we just had an addition to our family last week, so she’s been really busy and my mom and dad are visiting and they are huge fundamentalists so, all I’ve been hearing is KJVO this and that and how churches are becoming more and more secular and how women should wear dresses more often to please the Lord.

I don’t have a rosary, not sure if I should get one right now, my wife would really freak out.

Also, even though I am not Catholic, could I still ask a Saint to intercede for my wife to open up to the Catholic faith?

I also called a parish and talked with an Associate pastor there, it was a good conversation.

God bless,
Tommy

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

yes you can ask a saint to intercede for your wife to open up to Catholicism. you seem to be here so welcome home back to Rome!

[quote name='john6:63' date='Jul 5 2005, 07:36 PM']I have casually read about the rosary on the net. I can’t remember the website, but the site went through the different prayers associated with the rosary, which all seemed pretty much focused on Jesus Christ. I really couldn’t find any prayer that seemed like Mary worship, but asked me 6 months ago and I’m sure I could have found something that I could try and pin as Mary worship. Other than that I haven’t done much study on the rosary.

I have done a quick study online about the Marian doctrines at ourladyweb.com and that site helped a lot. And I tried to read the rosary to my wife, but she’s still kinda closed to the idea. Also, we just had an addition to our family last week, so she’s been really busy and my mom and dad are visiting and they are huge fundamentalists so, all I’ve been hearing is KJVO this and that and how churches are becoming more and more secular and how women should wear dresses more often to please the Lord.

I don’t have a rosary, not sure if I should get one right now, my wife would really freak out.

Also, even though I am not Catholic, could I still ask a Saint to intercede for my wife to open up to the Catholic faith?
[right][snapback]632606[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I like this [url="http://wordbytes.org/prayers/Rosary/"]online rosary[/url]. Otherwise... you can always use your fingers. :) (That's what I did when I was converting.)

And of course you can pray to saints. :saint: I think that's an excellent idea.

For more about the rosary, IMO, you can't do better than John Paul II's [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html"]ROSARIUM VIRGINIS MARIAE[/url] -- his Apostolic Letter about the rosary.

I have found your posts very inspiring! Great to have you around. :banana:

littleflower+JMJ

[url="http://www.59beads.com"]http://www.59beads.com[/url] as well!!

isn't [url="http://www.virtualrosary.org"]http://www.virtualrosary.org[/url] one too?