An Old School Catholic Message Board

Born Fundamentalist

john6:63

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 5 2005, 09:27 AM']Hehe. Aww. I'm sorry HSmom. I say "Peace be with you"
[right][snapback]632073[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Right. I was lazy. Just didn't want him to pump his neighbor's hand and intorduce himself...

thessalonian

Tommy,

Are you the Tommy that emailed me? I remember you from Baptistboard.com. I got booted too. :). It's a badge. My recommendation is that you shoud go through RCIA and trust God to lead her through you. It may take time but God has time.
Be patient.

John 6 is what got my wife as well. She could never deny it. Her baptist/fundamentalist roots wouldn't let her. God bless you in your journey. You have my prayers.

Blessings

[quote name='thessalonian']Tommy,

Are you the Tommy that emailed me? [/quote]
Yes I am. Small world huh. Thanks for emailing me, it may have been the little seed that I needed and after reading the Gospel of John and chapter 6 for the umpteenth time in my life the floodgates were finally open (I’m a slow learner). :)

[quote name='thessalonian']I remember you from Baptistboard.com.  I got booted too. :).  It's a badge. [/quote]
Funny thing is that I’m not even a Catholic and still got the boot. I wasn’t linking or promoting Catholic sites or questioning anyone’s salvation. All I was doing was defending, the best I could with what knowledge I have of the Catholic faith and trying to demonstrate my views of John 6.

Funny thing is that we fundamentalists must take the bible literal, but ignore John 6 as being literal. I always wondered why Jesus let some of His disciples leave Him over a misunderstanding, but I am learning that it was no misunderstanding.

[quote name='thessalonian'] My recommendation is that you shoud go through RCIA and trust God to lead her through you.  It may take time but God has time.
Be patient. [/quote]
I believe I am going to sign up for RCIA. I haven’t had the opportunity to really discuss this with my wife; my mom and dad are staunch fundamentalists and they are visiting my wife and I this week (my wife and I just welcomed our third child last week), but I’ve pretty much decided that this is what I am going to do and see where the Lord leads me.

I am also thinking of attending a Mass this Saturday night, since I have never been to a Mass before and I will ask my wife to go as well, so hopefully seeing how Mass is conducted will verify what I am feeling inside. Kind of like when you are house hunting and you walk into a house and just “know” this is where you belong.

[quote name='thessalonian'] John 6 is what got my wife as well.  She could never deny it.  Her baptist/fundamentalist roots wouldn't let her. [/quote]
My wife and I have discussed John 6 on a number of occasions and she is still in denial. I asked her what concerned her the most about the Catholic Church and her response was a normal response: emphasis on Mary, prayers to the Saints. I told her that a Catholic (and I hope I am right) is not required to pray to Mary or the Saints or even say the Rosary for that matter.

There are things in our own Baptist Church that she is against, but still conforms and does them. KJVO, wears a dress for every church function, altar calls, their advocating of soul winning tactics. We both are against those, but we still attend church there.

Speaking of John 6, I asked my associate Pastor about John 6 one evening after a service. Of course he wasn’t prepared to give an answer, even though he is a graduate of Pensacola Christian College and even has a PhD, and after a few email reply’s he was seeing that he wasn’t convincing me, even with all the Greek definitions he was throwing at me and he then recommend and even purchased David Hunt’s “The woman rides a beast” and told me that this should answer my questions.

May the Lord bless you and your family.
Tommy

Brother Adam

Hi Tommy,

You are right that no one is required to ask the intercession of the Church Triumphant (Those who are in heaven) but I hope you will one day find as I did that just as we ask our brothers and sisters here on earth to intercede for us, so to should we ask those in heaven to intercede on our behalf as they are now in the very presence of our Lord and Savior. The only thing is you will need to assent to the Mariam doctrines.

The following is from my Apostolate. Hopefully it will help. Especially check out the Greek. Return that Greek for Greek!

[url="http://www.flyfreeministries.org/Discussion-amazing.htm"]Discussion on the Sacraments[/url]

Edited by Brother Adam

Welcome to the board john6:63.
I am not one to give advice on this subject, and I believe you are in good hands already with the posteers here.

I just wanted to tell you be strong, hang in there... I'm certain your family will get through this and for the better in the end.

God bless!

Hey man

I'm a former Catholic, now born-again Christian. I've been visiting this site for nearly 3 years now. It has helped me learn alot of what Catholicism really teaches, as opposed to what people think it teaches.

But with that being said, I'm still very, very, very non-Catholic. While I won't try to dissuade you from whatever journey you're on (at least not publicly :) ) the one piece of advice I will give is to continue to hold the Bible at the highest possible standard, and be careful that you are not persuaded to any side by intelligent human reasoning or by novelties.....meaning that what is often mysterious and unknown to us can become very attractive.

Just let the LORD lead. I don't have private messaging privileges on here because I'm not Catholic, but feel free to engage me if you want to hear from someone who is fair on the 'other' side. God bless dude.

thessalonian

Hey Tommy,

If you can get through Dave Hunt and still be looking at the Church God has worked a miracle. :).

My wife still has a few problems with some of the Mary stuff. It takes time to understand it. I certainly don't think she is going to hell because she doesn't pray the rosary every day (though she does pray it from time to time). I didn't pray it either for many years. I just heard a former Anglican, now Priest on Marcus Grodi's Journey Home talk about how God didn't give him peace with it until some years after he became a priest. He said that the most of Catholicism repulsed him in some sense because of his upbringing but he knew it was true and had to continue his journey. I offer whatever help I can. For sure my prayers.

Your not the first Baptist I have seen get booted for defending Catholicism on that board. They hate it.

Here is a rosary story fore you. My wife was going through RCIA, pretty sure she was going to convert. We started taking the 3 boys from a previous marriage to a program for them. She needed her rabidly anti-Cathoic husbands approval to have them baptized in the Church. They were 10, 8, and 5 and had not been baptized yet. I prayed the rosary every day for him starting in September. Two days I did not pray for him. I was in a bad mood and didn't say my rosary to not get in to details. Well those two days he called my wife up, the conversation got in to the Catholic Church and he blasted it. A couple of months later she had to tell him she wanted to have the boys baptized Catholic so we could arrange it in time with the Church. She was very nervous. He rolled over like a lamb.

It's powerful. Do you have one?

Blessings

Edited by thessalonian

I was baptized by a Catholic priest, but wasn't raised in the Catholic faith. Phatmass helped me in my return back to the Church, this community has been a blessing.

I welcome you to Phatmass, and enjoy your stay buddy.

[b]Note:[/b] Pensacola College is an anti-Catholic, Baptist college. They also publish homeschooling material (I used a few of their "A Beka" books), and their history books are pretty anti-Catholic. Not only that, their anti-Catholic American history book actually had me start on my journey to Catholicism, go figure! :lol:

melporcristo

Wow -- welcome to the board Tommy! I'll be praying for you and your family!

Be God's::
Melissa

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

what does john 6:63 say?

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

homeschoolmom

Boy are you lazy...

[quote]It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. [/quote]