An Old School Catholic Message Board

From Now On All Generations Will Call Me Blessed

Jake Huether

Jake Huether

If this is the Word of God (Scriptural that is), then what's the dealio with Protestants and Mary. Do they consider her blessed?

I mean, this could be taken as Scriptural evidance that Mary was venerated at the very start of the Church (probably even before Jesus formally anounced His Church with Peter). She didn't say, a few years from now all generations will call me blessed. She said from NOW on!

Let's make her prophesy come true!

Blessed are you, Oh Holy Mother of God.

Thank you sooooooo much Jesus for making such a wonderful mother!

Brother Adam

Non-Catholics have no problem considering Mary blessed. We have a problem considering her utterly sinless. We have problems with the emphesis placed on her in worship (not saying that you worship her), and we have problems with the idea that she never died.

Cure of Ars

Mary did die but her body was taken to heaven like Elijah.

I don’t get the big deal about Mary being sinless myself. Jesus made her special. If I was able to make my own mother you bet I would make perfect. It would be following the commandments of honoring your mother.

Good Friday

Actually, we don't know whether or not Mary died before she was assumed into Heaven. The dogma only says that she was assumed into Heaven at the end of her earthly life. We don't know if this means right before she died, or afterward. But we do know that if Elijah and Enoch could be assumed into Heaven, and those raised bodily from the grave after Jesus' Resurrection could be assumed into Heaven, then certainly the Blessed Virgin Mary could be assumed into Heaven. In the cases of Elijah and Enoch, they did not die before they were assumed. So we really don't know what happened -- whether or not the Blessed Virgin was still alive, or had died, when she was assumed into Heaven.

The East does have long tradition about the dormition (death) of the Blessed Virgin, so I'd say it's possible that she died and then was raised to new life by Christ, and assumed into Heaven. But like I said, we don't know. The dogma doesn't tell us.

Jake Huether

Yes, Bro. What are your thoughts then on Elijah and Enoch. If you have an issue with Mary not dying, what's your thoughts about them. Just curious?

How's Teresa? Haven't seen her around lately...

You both continue to be in my prayers.

littleflower+JMJ

great thread jake....i've had a hard time getting this thru my prot friends who refused to recognized Mary at all...even though its in the Bible! their source for everything...i mean come on, we're not talking about just an ordinary lady, we're talking about the Mother of God, a Heavenly Vessel, Queen of Heaven! God made her perfect.......and unless we Know Jesus' Mother Mary, we will never really know Jesus and how big His Heavenly family Really is!!

the BLessed Mother only wants to lead us to her Son, Jesus....

Pray for us O Holy Mother of God,

that we might be worthy of the promises of Christ!

Amen.

IcePrincessKRS

I have a hard time understanding why non-Catholic Christians don't believe in the sinlessness of Mary. If they believe Jesus is God (I guess it kind of makes sense for those who don't think He is God) why wouldn't they also believe He would make His mother sinless? Like Cure said, if I was able to make my own mother you bet I would make perfect. While in my biased opinion my earthly mother is pretty darn good, she's still a sinner like the rest of us, and I don't think Jesus' mama was quite the same as mine, nor quite the same as I will be--Mary was raising the God-man, Jesus Christ, she HAD to be a special lady. And being God doesn't it make sense that His mother SHOULD be sinless? I mean, can you imagine growing up, being God, and having your mother sin and being like "Ma, thats a no-no."

Sorry... one of my random tangents where I just kind of spill out my random thoughts...

Non-Catholics have no problem considering Mary blessed. We have a problem considering her utterly sinless. We have problems with the emphesis placed on her in worship (not saying that you worship her), and we have problems with the idea that she never died.

Protestants have problems, they say, with anything that is not specifically stated in the Bible -- and with many things that are clearly stated in the Bible with which they don't agree.

Sola Scriptura means Sola (only) their interpretation of the Scriptura, which differs from the understanding of the first Christians who were taught personally by the Apostles.

Original Christianity isn't based on the Bible, but on the teaching of the Apostles and the Prophets (Eph 2:19-20). Protestantism which originated in the 16th century is Bible-based (on Martin Luther's cut version of the Bible, that is.)

JMJ Jay (Likos)

Even in the Old Testament, however, Mary is alluded to, and her sinlessness as well. She is an earthen vessel, through which the (obviously) Sinless Lord and Savior took on human flesh.

He didn't take on sinful flesh. Therefore, He preserved Mary from sin. It was not by any power of her own, but the powerful protection of God, who had a Divine Plan in mind for the faithful Virgin.

Non-Catholic Christians also confuse prayer with worship, so they have a hard time thinking that we don't worship Mary...and they often don't approve of calling Mary the Mother of God, since she is not Mother to the Father or the Holy Spirit...

Fortunately, we Catholics have NO PROBLEMO with Mary!

She is Mother of Christ, and Mother of all Christians! :wub:

Pax Christi. <><

Brother Adam

We have a problem with the idea of her sinlessness because the Bible says that all have fallen short of the glory of God. Mary is a saved sinner, who depends on Christ for her salvation. Abraham also depends on Christ for his salvation. All of humanity does.

As far as her being taken up like the 2 mentioned in the Bible is because it isn't mentioned in the Bible. Could have it happened? I leave room for the possibility (all things are possible for God), but I don't think we can know.