An Old School Catholic Message Board

How healthy is healthy enough

FiatLux1860

FiatLux1860

So all the orders that I have inspected list "good physical and psychological health " as one of their requirements for entrance. What exactly does that entail? Does that mean that people with mental illnesses are automatically barred from religious life even if they're on medication?

Fair Verona

I guess it would depend on the severity of the illness., and whether its a mild episode or a life-long "management" thing. The one question they do ask a lot is "are you on any medication," which makes sense when you think of how expensive drugs can be.

I have no idea on this subject. I have depression and was previously diagnosed with bipolar disorder, so I hope they're not too discriminatory!

I have asthma and had my gallbladder taken out about 4 years ago. When i applied to the Sister Servants, they asked a lot of questions about these 2 things. It really depends on the order as to what they will accept and what will disqualify.

ThyHolyLove

A lot of orders that I know will have you do a psychological and medical exam before entrance. Be honest with any order you're looking into, and you'll find where God wants you!

Also I think if something is being controlled with meds they are more likely to say yes, but you should have a good talk with your perspective order. I think a lot of orders are just concerned with your ability to live in community, work in the apostolate, and healthily separate from family, friends,etc....

Good Luck with everything!

FiatLux1860

Yeah, I guess it would depend on the order you're looking into. Does anyone know anything about medical/life insurance for sisters/nuns? I've heard that some girls have to buy insurance when they enter a convent so that the cost of their health care is diminished. I mean, as long as they're paying for health insurance anyway, wouldn't lifelong medication be covered by something like that?

[quote name='FiatLux1860' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:07 PM']Yeah, I guess it would depend on the order you're looking into. Does anyone know anything about medical/life insurance for sisters/nuns? I've heard that some girls have to buy insurance when they enter a convent so that the cost of their health care is diminished. I mean, as long as they're paying for health insurance anyway, wouldn't lifelong medication be covered by something like that?
[right][snapback]652844[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have to buy my own health insurance for the Sister Servants for the first three year. I have no clue how much that will cost. It definitely makes the lifelong medicine cheaper.

avemarisstella

Ok, so I haven't gone yet...

The community I'm hoping to visit says that it's not just a matter of money, but the fact that they don't want individual lifestyles in the one community. They say you have to be able to stand up to the normal rigours of religious life fairly well. I get migraines a bit, but they haven't said I shouldn't visit or anything.

Also, serious and chronic scrupulosity can be a problematic 'illness'. However, if you have that tendency, don't get scrupulous about it or discouraged - I think communities would be a better judge of pathological scruples vs. normal anxiety than oneself!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well I do know that one Poor Clare Monastery had "rejected" a young lady because of a condition of hers that could be fatal, but the Monastery near me accepted her and now her condition is almost gone!

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jul 25 2005, 07:43 PM']Well I do know that one Poor Clare Monastery had "rejected" a young lady because of a condition of hers that could be fatal, but the Monastery near me accepted her and now her condition is almost gone!
[right][snapback]658880[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Someone made a good point a few posts back: if you're honest with the Order, you'll end up where you're [i]supposed[/i] to be! Perhaps God really did not want her at the Poor Clares.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:27 PM']I have to buy my own health insurance for the Sister Servants for the first three year. I have no clue how much that will cost. It definitely makes the lifelong medicine cheaper.
[right][snapback]652891[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am so sorry and surprised to hear that.

What I have been disovering is that the Poor Clares are unique in that no dowry is required. Their rule is you show up that's it. I wonder how many other orders are out there that feel the same way.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 28 2005, 07:21 AM']I am so sorry and surprised to hear that.

What I have been disovering is that the Poor Clares are unique in that no dowry is required.  Their rule is you show up that's it.  I wonder how many other orders are out there that feel the same way.
[right][snapback]662269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Orders always dispensed with the dowry if someone didn't have the means. The ones I've been in contact with don't ask for a dowry but for a certain amount of money to be kept in trust so that you have something to fall back on in case you leave during formation. I know of one young woman who entered a monastery and the diocese even helped out with a loan til she got back on her feet!

The importance of a dowry was that that was how the monastery supported you but now unless someone was super rich that would be impossible! Most monasteries rely on donations and help from benefactors.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 28 2005, 07:21 AM']I am so sorry and surprised to hear that.

What I have been disovering is that the Poor Clares are unique in that no dowry is required.  Their rule is you show up that's it.  I wonder how many other orders are out there that feel the same way.
[right][snapback]662269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't see it as a problem.

Also, the health insurance during the novitiate isn't a dowry. My order doesn't teach, and health insurance is incredibly expensive, so they just don't have the means to support young sisters who aren't really working. It's like that in most orders. I know that the Nashville Dominicans also have the Sister pay their healh insurance for a few years, and the Sister of Mary Mother of the Eucharist strongly encourage their young novitiate Sisters to purchase health insurance. My friend, Alyssa, is entering the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St George, and if she was entering right from high school or college, her parents would have to cover the insurance, but because she is 23 and has worked for two years after graduating and covered her own insurance, the order is paying for hers.

I don't think most orders have dowries. Mine does, but it is 300 dollars and is given back if I decide to leave.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jul 28 2005, 08:42 AM']I don't see it as a problem.

[right][snapback]662310[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You have to understand for me this is all new. :shock:

When I was growing up if you wanted to enter an order, you did.
You brought the clothes you would wear as a postulant. Or you bought the material so you could make your dresses. But everything else was covered by the community. After having learned what is required now I really respect you.