An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloistered contemplatives

zabbazooey

I've been praying and praying to God, and the idea of an active community just does not attract me like it used to. I think I'm starting to be more attracted to the idea of being a cloistered contemplative. But part of me screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" And I don't want to be cloistered, but I feel like that's where I might be called to serve....

This change of thought has been happening slowly over the past week, ever since I went to Eucharistic Adoration and had a little taste of solitude in front of Jesus. I want more! :D:

What's your advice?

Plus, what the heck am I going to do about student loans? I'm going to have about $40,000 in student loans.............but that's another topic for another time.

Z,
I think it is great you are desiring more. I would suggest you visit a cloister so you can get a feel for their way of life. Also, I wanted to let you know that there are communities "in between" cloistered and active life, these are called semi-contemplative. Generally Carmelite communities that are not cloistered will have this distinction. Unlike active communities, semi-contemplatives will have their apostolates on the same property as their convents, so that they can pray and eat with the community, and prayer will be a major focus of their day. I hope this helps

daugher-of-Mary

hehe. Your initial response to cloister is the same as mine was..."ANYTHING but THAT!!!!" :P: Now I can't wait to live it! :blush: Try visiting some communities. Most will allow you to participate to some extent in their life (though usually not inside the cloister). For a really intense cloistered experience, visit the Passionists! The one in Pittsburgh has a retreat house that is connected to the monastery, so you may pray ALL the hours (including the one at 1:30 am!) with the Nuns! :D: Plus, they are really holy ladies and will be able to give you some wisdom and spiritual direction.

Student loans...try the Laboure foundation, your pastor, and little old ladies who love to give money to young folks. ;) If it is your vocation, something will work out! I've heard some really amazing stories...

i WENT FROM diocesean to religious I know what you are going through the transition from one thinking ot another.

I'm thinking of visiting [url="http://www.heartsawake.com"]THIS[/url] community next summer....

cloisters are cool, but yes the style of life doesn't suit everyone.

If you like both i think one of the semi-active orders might be good for you as well. Best of luck :)

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:36 PM']I've been praying and praying to God, and the idea of an active community just does not attract me like it used to. I think I'm starting to be more attracted to the idea of being a cloistered contemplative. But part of me screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" And I don't want to be cloistered, but I feel like that's where I might be called to serve....

This change of thought has been happening slowly over the past week, ever since I went to Eucharistic Adoration and had a little taste of solitude in front of Jesus. I want more!  :D:

What's your advice?

Plus, what the heck am I going to do about student loans? I'm going to have about $40,000 in student loans.............but that's another topic for another time.
[right][snapback]658304[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey, and why not contemplative? If Jesus is everything to you and you want to be entirely His and trust He knows the best way of life in which you can be happy and flourish, than why not cloistered?

Of course, I'm partial to Dominicans :P:
Look on the web, write a few communities that attract you and get to know their life and charism and PRAY! AND PRAY! Jesus, I want what you want!

I PROMISE you will find what is the deepest desire of your heart!
My prayers!
Susan

Marieteresa

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:32 PM']I'm thinking of visiting [url="http://www.heartsawake.com"]THIS[/url] community next summer....
[right][snapback]658481[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey missy thats a great community your going to visit my SD has a friend whom just made her first profession there. They are an awesome community....My SD has even recommended that I go and visit them. My SD's friend is the young lady from Trindad....Sorry if this is off topic

Well, contemplative life is not at all like how I envisioned my ideal religious life, but I am coming to love and appreciate it more and more.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 26 2005, 03:25 PM']Well, contemplative life is not at all like how I envisioned my ideal religious life, but I am coming to love and appreciate it more and more.
[right][snapback]659025[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup, quite often what we first envisioned has turned out to be quite different!!!!!!! After all, this process is discerning Gods will...hich can start off as something quite different to our will!!! However, He only wants whats best for us, and He wants us to be happy....!!!!!

OH contemplatives are lovely.... :D and i do love Dominicans. i would suggest visting some communitys that would be cool. i will send extra prayers your way espcially for you discernemtn ok. ;) God Bless and Mary keep you
Karin

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:36 PM']I've been praying and praying to God, and the idea of an active community just does not attract me like it used to. I think I'm starting to be more attracted to the idea of being a cloistered contemplative. But part of me screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" And I don't want to be cloistered, but I feel like that's where I might be called to serve....

This change of thought has been happening slowly over the past week, ever since I went to Eucharistic Adoration and had a little taste of solitude in front of Jesus. I want more!  :D:

What's your advice?

[right][snapback]658304[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You know, I should ask you: Have you ever heard of the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara? You can look them up on Google or something for more info. Anyway, there were just founded about 16 years ago and they already have something like 600 sisters. The cool thing is, you can be cloistered [i]or[/i] active; you decide which one suits you better after a period of discernment. If you are active, you learn four languages and basically become a missionary, travelling to different countries (but they have four houses in the US, I believe). Also, they wear full habits (grey with a blue scapular, I believe), and they're very faithful. I think they are under the Carmelite consititutions, but I'm not positive. They sound like an awesome Order. My friend just joined last month. Also, for their relgious names, they take a title from the Litany of Mary, in their native dialect. It's cool :)

OH and I forgot to tell you. One of the reasons I was recommending them is because they don't seem to have a problem with student loans. Apparently they have a benefactor who will pay them for girls who want to enter. My friend had about forty grand as well.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jul 26 2005, 09:34 AM']You know, I should ask you: Have you ever heard of the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara? You can look them up on Google or something for more info. Anyway, there were just founded about 16 years ago and they already have something like 600 sisters. The cool thing is, you can be cloistered [i]or[/i] active; you decide which one suits you better after a period of discernment. If you are active, you learn four languages and basically become a missionary, travelling to different countries (but they have four houses in the US, I believe). Also, they wear full habits (grey with a blue scapular, I believe), and they're very faithful. I think they are under the Carmelite consititutions, but I'm not positive. They sound like an awesome Order. My friend just joined last month. Also, for their relgious names, they take a title from the Litany of Mary, in their native dialect. It's cool :)

OH and I forgot to tell you. One of the reasons I was recommending them is because they don't seem to have a problem with student loans. Apparently they have a benefactor who will pay them for girls who want to enter. My friend had about forty grand as well.
[right][snapback]659423[/snapback][/right]

you can get more info from  cmswr.org  they have a great catalog  all of the communities listed wear habits.   
[/quote]