An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloistered contemplatives

zabbazooey

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jul 26 2005, 10:34 AM']You know, I should ask you: Have you ever heard of the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara? You can look them up on Google or something for more info. Anyway, there were just founded about 16 years ago and they already have something like 600 sisters. The cool thing is, you can be cloistered [i]or[/i] active; you decide which one suits you better after a period of discernment. If you are active, you learn four languages and basically become a missionary, travelling to different countries (but they have four houses in the US, I believe). Also, they wear full habits (grey with a blue scapular, I believe), and they're very faithful. I think they are under the Carmelite consititutions, but I'm not positive. They sound like an awesome Order. My friend just joined last month. Also, for their relgious names, they take a title from the Litany of Mary, in their native dialect. It's cool :)

OH and I forgot to tell you. One of the reasons I was recommending them is because they don't seem to have a problem with student loans. Apparently they have a benefactor who will pay them for girls who want to enter. My friend had about forty grand as well.
[right][snapback]659423[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you SO much! I already sent them an e-mail for the entrance requirements and more about active life. They seem like a great bunch of nuns!!

Noel's angel

i dunno what it is like in America, but over here if you are a priest or a nun you don't have to pay off your student loans

Here you have to pay them off (in most orders)

Which stinks because I want to get my Bachelor's degree but I also want to discern my vocation. So who knows...

Hey I am interested in visiting the Carmenlites in Terre Houte too! I am really glad you put that there because I couldn't find them on google!

• 3 weeks later...

You might like to read Thomas Merton's New Seeds of Contemplation, to find out his thoughts on what the contemplative life is, and what it isn't. It's one of my favorite books.

You may also want to read "The Contemplative Life" by Thomas Philippe, O.P. The novice mistress at the summit monastery gave me a copy of it to read. It's a very good explanation of the life, and it's helped me a lot with my discernment. It's pretty theological and philosophical so if you like those areas of study, it's perfect!

Edited by msahara