An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you want your religious name to be?

zabbazooey

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 25 2005, 06:47 PM']i don't mean to sound weird...  I've read a lot about discerning a call to religious life...  but how do you discern a call to married life?  No one really talks about that?
[right][snapback]658970[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're right... and they should. It's just as wonderful a vocation! The same way you'd discern religious life I suppose: prayer, looking at God's gifts in your life, prayer, talking to married couples, talking to other people, prayer, and oh yes... prayer!

photosynthesis

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Jul 25 2005, 10:52 PM']You're right... and they should. It's just as wonderful a vocation! The same way you'd discern religious life I suppose: prayer, looking at God's gifts in your life, prayer, talking to married couples, talking to other people, prayer, and oh yes... prayer!
[right][snapback]658974[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
but discerning married life is very specific. because if God calls you to married life, he calls you to marry a specific guy. sometimes I doubt that nice Christian guys actually exist. And the ones that do exist either are going to be priests, already dating someone or they wouldn't want to date me.

So it's like...I know I have a desire for this vocation, but I'm not sure if it desires me.

Whereas whenever I talk to religious communities, they're more than overjoyed to be around me.

Religious life likes me, but I don't think married life likes me.

I love St. Bernadette because she is so humble and sweet. I look up to her a lot, she was so plain and Our Lady chose her. I just love her!

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 25 2005, 08:47 PM']i don't mean to sound weird...  I've read a lot about discerning a call to religious life...  but how do you discern a call to married life?  No one really talks about that?
[right][snapback]658970[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think I am about to take the award for weird...

I have been thinking about getting remarried or staying single or becoming a nun. And this is how I decided I wanted to become a nun.
OKAY HERE COMES THE WEIRD.

I imagined myself as a microscope (you know how they focus) I looked at all my options and I decided I wanted to focus my love for God into the world thru the religious life

Some advice I have also been given that may sound simplisitc but it isn't if you do it right is FOLLOW YOUR HEART and DECIDE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU DIE.

The last one means when you are on your death bed looking back over your life where do you want your bed to be. My grandfather taught me that years ago. And it has really come in handy during my discernment.

I think this advice applies to all our life choices, not just choosing the religious life.

Tee hee....I was thinking about this the other day.....I think I've narrowed it down....
Sr. Maria Benedicta
Sr. Mary Chiara
Sr. Ana Marie
Sr. Cecilia Marie.

And the titles that I like...
of His Most Precious Blood
of His Divine Mercy
of the Annunciation
of the Holy Rosary
of the Good Shepherd

Well yeah.....but I'll let them decide.

[quote name='memtherose' date='Jul 25 2005, 08:06 PM']And the titles that I like...
of His Most Precious Blood
of His Divine Mercy
of  the Annunciation
of the Holy Rosary
of the Good Shepherd

Well yeah.....but I'll let them decide.
[right][snapback]659080[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do they all have titles? I hadn't thought about that.

I like either Sr. John Paul of the Passion, Sr. Joan Maximilian of the Precious Blood or the Passion, or Sr. Francis Madonna of the Passion.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Jul 26 2005, 04:11 PM']Do they all have titles? I hadn't thought about that.

I like either Sr. John Paul of the Passion, Sr. Joan Maximilian of the Precious Blood or the Passion, or Sr. Francis Madonna of the Passion.
[right][snapback]659086[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think so. I think its mostly contemplative communities that have titles although, correct me if I'm wrong. The only active community I have heard of that take titles are the Sister Servants (of the Eternal Word) But again, I may be wrong.

i think you can take titles if God wants you to have them.

Though overall i like Ignatius (ignatio) of the spirit. :)

Well I want to be Sister Mary Martin ( let them choose of course they can choose whatever they believe is God's will for me)
and for my title I dont know I would like it to be something to be with Mary so I was thinking about :
of the Immacculate(sp?) Conception
of Our Lady of Guadelupe (i dont know if trhis one is even allowed but i would love it)
of the Annuciation
of the Assumption

those are my favorites for titles

God Bless and Mary keep
Karin

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 26 2005, 05:36 PM']it is mostly contemplative orders that take names
[right][snapback]659180[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Maybe......I don't know about that, but I am pretty sure that very few active communities take Titles....(with a particular devotion etc)