An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Radical Protestant Bishop

Seminarian

I saw this article in this morning's Chicago Sun Times about a protestant bishop who has and is denying that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, as well as denying the bodily resurrection of Christ. He is causing a lot of trouble in the Chicago area lately, so much so that another protestant bishop has called him the most liberal protestant out there. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/religion/cs...-insight20.html

No I just wanted to inform everyone about the situation that's all, especially since I know a lot of people on the website are from the Chicago area.

Mary's Knight, La

He said he believes others are also capable of transcending to become divine does this remind us of any new age (read that as "ancient pagan") beliefs? One of the very unfortunate points in this matter is that once you can justify leaving historic/traditional christianity which is the Catholic church, you can quickly use the same arguements to justify whatever beliefs you want. Which means look out for the eventual Christian Witchcraft Association, yes i'm being sarcastic I hope!!! but you get the idea. I see this as nothing more than the next step in the denial of the beliefs of Christians since the time of Christ, that's not to say all protestants and others will teach these beliefs but, I'm certain that as more time goes by you'll have more and more dumb ideas out there under the guise of christianity.

Now on the plus side this'll be good for us because as more and more deviation happens people will begin to look for authentic christianity and come home, but pray for the many many souls who will be lost because of such false teachings. Also if this doesn't prove that we all need to be ready to teach and explain the truth of our faith, what will?

Edited by Mary's Knight, La

cmotherofpirl

This is the logical conclusion of what happens to a church without anybody in charge to say NO MORE! and draw the line.

In my opinion a Protestant Bishop is a contradiction in terms. Like the term non-practising Catholic. Protestantism rejected the Catholic Faith and all that goes with it. To have an Order such as Bishop with all that it means doesn't make sense. You could call him a Superintendant as they do in other Methodist Churches. The word Bishop brings to mind the Good Shepherd who protects the faith not the hireling who protects nothing.

If you haven't been ordained by apostolic succession you can't be a bishop. I can call myself Michael the Prince of Wales and that still doesn't make me UK royalty.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Where do people get this outrageous belief that one can be made divine after death?

For thus says the LORD, The creator of the heavens, who is God, The designer and maker of the earth who established it, Not creating it to be a waste, but designing it to be lived in: I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:18

Turn to me and be safe, all you ends of the earth, for I am God; there is no other!

Isaiah 45:22

You are my witnesses, says the LORD, my servants whom I have chosen To know and believe in me and understand that it is I. Before me no god was formed, and after me there shall be none.

Isaiah 43:10

Thus says the LORD, Israel's King and redeemer, the LORD of hosts: I am the first and I am the last; there is no God but me.

Isaiah 44:6

Just a few of the many passages supporting the Truth that there is only one God.

In my opinion a Protestant Bishop is a contradiction in terms. Like the term non-practising Catholic. Protestantism rejected the Catholic Faith and all that goes with it. To have an Order such as Bishop with all that it means doesn't make sense. You could call him a Superintendant as they do in other Methodist Churches. The word Bishop brings to mind the Good Shepherd who protects the faith not the hireling who protects nothing.

You know what? It is a contradiction in terms. They are not Bishops at all. In fact, you know what else is a contradiction in terms? "Anglican church." "Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints." "Baptist Church." etc. etc.

They are not churches, they are ecclesial communities. To be a church, you must have a valid episcopate (college of Bishops). To this end, the Catholic Church only recognises Herself and the Orthodox Churches. The rest are ecclesial communities, though they will call themselves "churches" and even claim to have "bishops." For the sake of eccumenism, the Catholic Church will call them churches while in dialogue with them, for the sake of their own dignity and just for public relations, really.

The More You Know....

Oh, and as for people claiming that Mary wasn't a virgin, do you have a stick? Because if you do, there are more people like this than you can shake it at. It's no alarming thing, and it's nothing new. What would be alarming is if a Catholic started claiming this. That's when you need a really BIG stick....

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Mary WAS a Virgin. Another misconception by those who haven't read the Scriptures.

Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign: the virgin shall be with child, and bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.

Isaiah 7:14

From the rest of it, we can conclude that this verse is refering the Virgin Mary because it is prophesizing about the birth of Jesus Christ.