An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Radical Protestant Bishop

Seminarian

Now that I'm Catholic and understand Apostolic Succession, one of my recurring nightmares is of Protestant "ordinations" I have attended in the past. One guy goes through the motions of ordaining another guy -- and neither of them has even an ounce of authority. It's troubling and pathetic, empty and meaningless. Gives me vertigo to think of it.

So it's not just bishops -- no Protestant "minister" is truly "ordained." He just thinks he is. Naming any of them 'bishops' compounds the travesty.

John Shelby Spong, the notorious Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Newark, retired, denied the virgin birth long ago. His latest work, I think, is "Why Christianity Must Change or Die."

Now that I'm Catholic and understand Apostolic Succession, one of my recurring nightmares is of Protestant "ordinations" I have attended in the past.  One guy goes through the motions of ordaining another guy -- and neither of them has even an ounce of authority.  It's troubling and pathetic, empty and meaningless.  Gives me vertigo to think of it.   

So it's not just bishops -- no Protestant "minister" is truly "ordained."  He just thinks he is.  Naming any of them 'bishops' compounds the travesty.

I saw Mark Chironna (can't spell his last name) ordain someone as a Bishop. The guy being ordained was on the floor crying, and he was married and all.

It was weird, and also...

How can they claim Apostolic Succession, if they are all independent and seperated?

I saw Mark Chironna (can't spell his last name) ordain someone as a Bishop. The guy being ordained was on the floor crying, and he was married and all.

It was weird, and also...

How can they claim Apostolic Succession, if they are all independent and seperated?

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Protestants don't believe in Apostolic Succession. They're at least 16 or more centuries too late for that.

What I meant was, if one cannot trace his ordination back to an Apostle, one is not ordained. Only the Apostles had the power and the authority from Christ to ordain -- which they passed on to their successors, the bishops of the Catholic Church -- who passed it on to other bishops -- and so on, down through the centuries. The power and authority for ordination is within the Catholic Church (and the Eastern Orthodox, which was also Catholic from the beginning of Christianity to the schism and still has valid Holy Orders).

Holy Orders is the sacrament of Ordination. Do attend in May or June at the Cathedral in your city. Catholic ordinations are amesome.

John Shelby Spong, the notorious Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Newark, retired, denied the virgin birth long ago.  His latest work, I think, is "Why Christianity Must Change or Die."

I'm writing Bishop Spong's Post-humous Biography . . . "Ding Dong the Spong is Gonged: Why Death Changes Christians."

• 11 years later...

This is the logical conclusion of what happens to a church without anybody in charge to say NO MORE! and draw the line.

That line is the Truth - and none should ever lose sight of Him.  

If you haven't been ordained by apostolic succession you can't be a bishop. I can call myself Michael the Prince of Wales and that still doesn't make me UK royalty.

that is quite precise and true