An Old School Catholic Message Board

discernment to different religious orders

Sixtina87

[b][color=purple][font="Geneva"]Hi, I am a discerner of about 4 yrs. i have found religious communities that i liked and I have not liked. Some have even told me not to consider them asa option. So i am curious what religious communities that you like and why you iek them. Who knows I might be asking more about them if they are interesting!!!!!!!!!!!! If you like to blog, here is my blog about my discernment.

religiouslife.blogpsot.com

Enjoy and I hope to hear from you here or in my blog!!!!!!!!

In him,.
Sixtina :saint: [/color][/font]
[/b]

Hey, Sixteena! Welcome to the Phatmass Vocation Station! There are some really great topics to look for if you're interested in learning about the different communities all the "future nuns" are discerning with. Check out Future Nun Support Group... that should give you a lot of information.

I'm discerning with the Cistercian nuns in Wisconsin. They are a contemplative community with a strict observance of the Rule of St. Benedict. The Cistercian Order has been around since 1098. I really like the Cistercians because there is great emphasis on a life of silence, deep prayer, physical work, and charity. The main reason I like the Cistercians, though, is their life is completely Liturgy-centered. They gather in the choir 7 times a day to chant the Divine Office in a Cistercian Latin chant. It's beautiful! Everything revolves around the Eucharist.

Welcome to the phamily, Sixtina :D We're so glad to have another discerner with us.

I am discerning with and entering the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration in Hanceville, Alabama (but like you, I discerned with other Communities as well). They are contemplatives, most of whom are cloistered, but they do have "extern" sisters who take care of the work that needs to be done outside of the cloister (although they are by no means like sisters of an active order). Most of all I love them because their entire lives are centered on [i]perpetual adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament[/i]. There is always a sister before the monstrance in which Jesus is exposed, 24/7. They live a life of poverty and love Jesus with a joyful, reparative heart. If you want to know more about the life of a Poor Clare, read "A Right to be Merry" by Mother Mary Francis. You can learn about the PCPA's at: [url="http://olamshrine.com/olam/the_nuns.htm"]http://olamshrine.com/olam/the_nuns.htm[/url]

Edited by Totus Tuus

In a couple of months I'll have my application papers for the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist!([url="http://www.sistersofmary.org"]www.sistersofmary.org[/url]) The thing that attracted me to them initially was the way they just [i]glow[/i] with love for Christ. They are always smiling, and it seems like Jesus just bursts out through them!

I bumped up the 'discerning' threads in case you'd like to look at them, Sixtina. :)

[quote name='the_rev' date='Aug 17 2005, 04:34 PM']Now it works,  huh....
[right][snapback]688002[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I sure hope my website works. I'm not exactly sure how to make it a link yet, where you can click on it rather than typing it your self, any ideas???

[color=purple][font="Geneva"][b]ForHimAlone,
Thanks for replying!!!!!!!! That life sounds wonderful butI'm not 100% sure if the cloister life is for me. But I'm gunna give it a try in October by going to visit a cloister community in Louiseanna (sp?)!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will visit the "future nun" support sometime today!!!!!!!!!! Thank again for your reply!!!!!!

Sixtina[/b][/color][/font]

[color=orange][font="Geneva"][b]Hey FutureSoror,
Thanks for your reply. I actually requested info from the Sisters that you are soon going to begetting apps from!!!!!!! The seem like a great community and I wasnt able to keep incontact with them long enough to get to know them. I would email and I wouldnt hear from them, too busy i suppose!!!!!!!!!!!! I have wanted to go see them since they are kinda close to me than most comunities, i was told 7 hrs from Chicago!!!!! But sadly I havent talke dto them in over a yr or more!!!!!!! I hope all goes well with them. Let me know when you get the apps from them and your enterence date is!!!!!!!! I'm curious to getting to know you and your story abit more!!!!!!!!!!!! :saint: [/b][/color][/font]

Sixtina,
Thats great you're discerning with the Lockport Dominicans! They seem really lovely and they need new vibrant vocations. You may know, but Karin (on this forum) is actually on her 3 month aspriancy with them at the moment, and Jessica (discerningsoul) here, is also planning to enter with them this year. In fact, there are quite of few girls here who haved looked at them, and have even visited, I think..... I have been discerning with them as well........

The two other cloistered monasteries where my interest is highest are:
the Summit Dominicans (Our Lady of the Rosary, in NJ)
and the Eindhoven Poor Clares (Mary, Mother of the Church, in the Netherlands)

However, I am wondering if its just a crush I have on the Poor Clares..... I really love them, but I also love the Dominican nuns.

If you feel as though God is calling you to Lockport, go for it!!! I don't know if I am, but I may be looking at visiting them in the New Year. I am starting to look at making an aspirancy (of six weeks, living in the cloister) in Summit. We don't know the dates yet, and also it means putting off university for a while....But whatever Gods wants, I want!!!

My prayers for you, and God bless all us here!!!!

Also, Carly (crusader03) here is entering the Sisters of Mary this September (the 8th?) If I was called to the active life, they would be it!

(btw, I'm Emily and I'm from New Zealand!)

[url="http://religiouslife.blogspot.com"]http://religiouslife.blogspot.com[/url]

If it doesn't work go to her profile and click the link!

Edited by the_rev

[color=green][font="Courier"][b]Hi Emily, Thanks for replying!!!!!!! I'm not 100% sure the cloister life is for me!!!!!! I am rather active in my life and perferr it that way, for some reason!!!!!!!!!! I talked to Carly yesterday over IM, she told me about her apps that she is getting soon. I'm so excited for her!!!!!! Do you know hen Jessica is going to enter??? So, I'm not 100% fully knowledgeable of the cloister life as much as I know the active life. So when you make an aspirancy, you actually get to live there until you are ready to enter completely??? Hum, how interesting!!!!!!!!!! The LockPort Dominicans and I have been in contact for a few months, since the end of May!!!! And Rev. Mother seems so wonderful and Mother Mistress and I can carry a conversation on for hours!!!!!!!!!! Which i think Mother is startiong to become aware of that!!!!! :bigshock: But Mother Mistress and I had had tons of fun and laughter just talking through Yahoo IM!!!!! If you dont have yahoo Im its different, its has animations with different sayings, and it the time is right you can scare the person you are talking to!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!! ButI'm soooo excited to go visit them in October!!!!! I cant wait to meet them for the first time!!!!!!!!!!

B y the wya, my real name is Nicole by Sixtina is what i want to be my religious name!!!!!!!!!!!

in Him,
Sixtina[/b][/color][/font]

[color=gray][font="Optima"][b]Oh, by the way!!!! how you get you pick with your screen name on here??? I have seen so mnamy different pics and i find it interesting and I want to add my own!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/color][/font]