An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being Catholic

ktownbaby

Where i live its hard being Catholic sometimes. I live in a part of Tennessee where its primarily Baptist. I attend a local public high school and kids are always asking me things like "Your Catholic, so you all worship Mary right?" or "Have you been saved?" or my personal favorite (not really) "Wow, so are you easy like most Catholic girls!?" "nope sorry im not and most Catholic girls aren't!" I mean i know how to answer those question but its really irritating when they come up to me trying to get me to convert to being Baptist. I'm proud of being Catholic, but sometimes the pressure of my classmates is overwhelming...please let me know im not the only ones being faced with problems like these! :( Thanks!

Hey ktown, you are definitely not the only one who goes through these problems. I myself am dealing with people at work who don't understand Catholics and would rather put down our views, than try and understand them. VeraMaria knows how that feels too. She's recently had to defend her faith against other kids at her school. Lots and lots of our phamily members here have been through similar situations.

My best advie is to be patient. Answering questions, like the one about Mary, can give you an opportunity to clear up some misconceptions they have about Catholics. You'll be helping to teach them a little while also learning more yourself. As for silly questions, like being easy, I wouldn't even justify that with an answer.

We're phamily here, so know you are not alone in this!

No ur not, ANTICATHOLICS ARE EVERYWHERE! The Worshipping Mary thing you should say sometin like, "We don't worship the Blessed Virgin Mary but we ask her to pray for us. You could be ignorant and say we worship her but that wouldn't be completely correct since we only venerate her (like you can venerate ur grandma) but we don't adore her. Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you? Do you actually think that anyone will have prayers stronger than the Mother of God? Jesus wants us to pray to her, think of being in his place I'm sure he loves it when we cry out to his mother to pray for us". My mom said something like this to a nonCath

Edited by musturde

ktownbaby;

I know what you're going through. I go to public school, and most are Jewish, Protestants, and mainly non-religious, which of course leaves them fvree to critizice all they want.

Prying questions from people, unbelief when you answer, anti-catholic teachers...you name it, we'll both get through!! The most important thing is having hope, and offering it up to God. It's very hard, i'm still not quite at that level, but the closer you get...well...it doesn't really get a whole lot easier to bear, but you feel as if it is all for a purpose.

God Bless, Welcome to phatmass! :)

Vera

Yeah I feel you...

I will not let your hate

penetrate

my faith

won't let what you create

exasperate my state

sometimes I feel like

I'ma 'bout to suffocate

from the weight of this here crucifix

around my neck

but understand

that I counted up the cost

picked up my cross

and will continue to follow in His name

You know What really seems to get me

is this universal Christian identity

how I'm family but not part of your fraternity

once you find out

about my catholicity

oh sorrowful mystery

Christ's agony in Gethsemane

to be alone, abandoned

by his own

family

sometimes I scream in my mind

why can't you just understand me

see that it's not about living morally

it's more than proving doctrinally

it's not the traditions

or my self-rigteous vanity

but my yearning to always be

in pursuit of the TRUTH

and His love for me.

But I know that i'm not to seek to be understood but to understand.

to show compassion in the face of the jeers from my fellow man

but don't think that I've never thought about abandoning it all

for the sake of my own pride.

Oh luminious mystery

how Christ did pour forth from His side,

the church His bride

water and blood in - Deed He

did bleed

as Adam's rib did become Eve.

So I stand in the centre of a whirlwind of

kicks and spits

while I battle my own flesh in all of this.

Wondering if I stood trial today as a Christian,

would there be enough real evidence for my conviction?

If you can tell by the bearing of their fruits

then why do you start by my roots?

But the glorious myster of it all

is that in my

weakness as I crawl

about to suffocate from teh weight of this here crucifix around my neck

picke dup my corss with absolutely no strength

because it is He who carries Me the rest of the way, calling me by name

So I will not let your hate

penetrate

my faith

won't let what you create

exasperate my state

sometimes I feel like

I'ma 'bout to suffocate

from the weight of this here crucifix

around my neck

but understand

picked up my cross

and will continue to follow in His name

FaustinaVianney

ktownbaby,

you are definitely not alone!! I'm a convert to the faith and in my hometown there is NO Catholic Churches or people, but a LOT of Catholic-haters. I was repeatedly told not to enter the Church because they 'worship Mary,' 'worship a piece of bread,' they 'don't believe in salvation,' the list goes on and on. I knew what God was telling my heart, so I had to continue learning about the Faith. I started with all kinds of apologetics, so that I could refute the people that were telling me I was in the wrong with the Cathlic Church. The greatest thing you can do when people ask you all those questions is answer them with a loving heart. We are all called to love everyone even our enemies. We must keep that in mind when others are wanting to start an argument with us about our Faith. If the discussion gets to heated walk away. It is better to walk away than to say some things that you wish you could take back later. We must be the light to others about the Catholic Faith. We don't hate them, we want them in union with us as they once were. And ALWAYS ALWAYS pray for them. I hope this helps!!! God Bless!!! Know of my prayers!!!

Veritatem dare summa caritas

*HUGS-n-PEACE*

:D :D :D

Sometimes people like these dont want to listen to answers they just like throwing barbs. Just stand tall and be proud. And if its a guy saying the stuff about cath girls being easy,learn how to kick em in the family jewels :P

littleflower+JMJ

oh my! its hard being catholic these days. its crazy.

don't worry. the life of following Christ and His Church is not an easy road.

the BLessed Mother told St. Bernandette, "I cannot promise that you have happiness in this life, but only in the next."

and being persecuted for your faith shows your doing something right!! ;)

when ever i did my morals talk i always include holy scripture

"Happy are you when ppl hate you, reject you, insult you, and say that you are evil, all because of the Son of Man! Be Glad when that happens and dance for joy, because a great reward is kept for you in heaven. For their ancestors did the very same things to the prophets."

--Mt 5:3-11, Luke 6:20-26

know that your not alone ktown! and that your phamily is here for you!!

keep fighting the good fight!

God bless!

+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

i love being catholic....i feel like i have been blessed to be in a catholic family....i dont let haters get to me.  B)

amen!!

shake 'em haters off!

B)

to be catholic is to be part of a universal family. so big, and alive. with the saints and angels and the Blessed Mother.

everytime those ppl do stuff like that, it makes me 100x grateful for the gifts and many blessings that only can come from the Holy MOther Church.

also when ppl start hatin' they don't even know what our beliefs are!!

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride.

Aint' no one gonna hold me down.

Oh, No, I got to keep on groovin.

Ain't nothing gonna break my faith

Ain't no one gonna get me down.

The Church, she has God's Spirit groovin.

CatholicAndFanatical

i love being catholic....i feel like i have been blessed to be in a catholic family....i dont let haters get to me.  B)

YEEHAW!!! :D

I am so siked to be Catholic right now (well everyday really but right fo real)

Not only did I finally get to go to Confession this morning, but I received the PhatMass CD Finally!!!

ktown, if you are having issues, buy the PhatMass CD, that CD will get you so pumped you'll just WANT them to say something about being Catholic so you can stand up for Christ.

ktown...ARE YOU READY FOR A WAR!!!

hang in there ktown, your in my prayers.

CatholicAndFanatical

littleflower+JMJ

B) i am proud ot say that yes ktown did buy the cd!!

thats how she found phatmass!!

at their booth at ncyc!!

cool huh?

B) :D