An Old School Catholic Message Board

Today is the anniversary of

RC_

Although I don't remember anything of the accident. Just taking my bike out of the garage, then waking up in the hospital, the next day.

FlyLikeABird

Well, God Bles You RC_, in my family's experience not remembering can be a blessing! My brother has to live with the memories of his own numerous hospital stays which we shall say were less than pleasant. He carries a lot of anger, though he probably wouldn't admit it. I pray that you have as pleasant a journey to full recovery as possible.

It was 10 years ago, so I'm pretty much recovered. Well, except for not being able to use my legs. :P:

What was your brother in the hospital for?

FlyLikeABird

Glad to hear that you are much better than I thought :blush:

My bro was in for a similar thing.

He was backed over accidentally by a garbage truck. Miraculously he is able to walk but is now on Kidney Dialysis as a complication of interior re-routing done.

My brother has been in and out of hospital more than 30 times since he was 5 years old, he is now 24.

Your brother is in my prayers. I've been in the hospital because of complications, but only about 6 times since I was five.

Miraculously, this is the worst of my problems from the accident, the paralysis, and the occasional infection.

BTW, the accident was my fault. I apperantly didn't hear the truck coming, and rode out in front of him. Deaf children need to be extra careful when riding thier bikes...

FlyLikeABird

Totally understand that! I'm HH myself. I was always being scolded because I didn't hear cars coming!

My bro's accident officially has no one to blame but the driver quit his job. My parents would not sue him but he felt guilty. What happened that day was that my bro had dropped his bike and gotten out of the way but tried to rescue his bike and that's when he got crushed.

I wish you could meet my bro, I think it would do him well to talk to someone else who's was in an accident at that age.

Forgive me for asking if it's painful but how much of your life do you remember from before the accident?

homeschoolmom

I think God in is infinate wisdom and mercy allows us to NOT remember such trauma. I was in a car accident many years ago. Last thing I remember is driving along... next thing, I'm answering questions as they rush me in to surgery. I have kinda pieced "memories" together based on what witnesses told me happened, but I really don't remember it at all. And what a blessing. Who would want to relive such horrible moments over and over again?

FlyLikeABird

HSMom, I was not refering to memories of the accident. I wanted to know if RC_ remembered much of life BEFORE the accident (ie running around as a kid) as he and my bro were in accidents at the same age.

My theory on why my bro is so dead set against God and his Catholic faith rests partly on remembering times before it happened where he was completely healthy. I myself remember none of that time as I was 4 when it happened. Strangely enough I remember bringing my bro home after his first hospital stay but I guess I've blocked that also (I have many blocked memories regarding my own childhood experience).

It is a great blessing that God allows us to forget the most painful things. Believe me, I do understand.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='FlyLikeABird' date='Aug 19 2005, 06:25 AM']HSMom, I was not refering to memories of the accident. I wanted to know if RC_ remembered much of life BEFORE the accident (ie running around as a kid) as he and my bro were in accidents at the same age.

My theory on why my bro is so dead set against God and his Catholic faith rests partly on remembering times before it happened where he was completely healthy. I myself remember none of that time as I was 4 when it happened. Strangely enough I remember bringing my bro home after his first hospital stay but I guess I've blocked that also (I have many blocked memories regarding my own childhood experience).

It is a great blessing that God allows us to forget the most painful things. Believe me, I do understand.
[right][snapback]690163[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hehe... Yeah, I know. I posted before I had read (clearly) all the way through the thread. My comments were on accidents in general. Then I saw what you had written about remembering juxaposted to what I had said... and I was too tired and lazy to change my comments.

Now, I don't remember alot about the "pre-accident" years, but then who really remembers everything about their lives in Pre-School? It's hard to make the comparison anyway, because my parents focused on the things I still COULD do, instead of what I couldn't do.

I used to dance. In that funny little kid kind of way.
My brother's and I would wrestle.
When watching movies, we'd all crawl onto the floor, and wrap ourselvs up in a big blanket--the whole family.
I used to ride my bike, I was the first kid on the block to get rid of training wheels.
Chasing fireflys in the yard.
Playing baseball in the back yard.

As a child I know that I was royally ticked off, because I was supposed to go into the 1st grade that fall, but wasn't able to. :maddest: Kinda funny if you think about it, I was mad because I wasn't able to go to school, not because I was in pain, injured, etc. Children's logic escapes me sometimes.

Over the years, I've been left out of stuff the other kids did, and sometimes still harbor resentment.

I think my parents might "blame God" for what happened. I don't.

Edited by RC_

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='RC_' date='Aug 19 2005, 04:59 AM']It was 10 years ago, so I'm pretty much recovered.  Well, except for not being able to use my legs.  :P:

What was your brother in the hospital for?
[right][snapback]690129[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You keep a good attitude about it. :) God is clearly at work in your life.

How old are you?

[quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 19 2005, 12:25 PM']You keep a good attitude about it.  :)  God is clearly at work in your life.

How old are you?
[right][snapback]690505[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm going to turn 16 in September.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='RC_' date='Aug 19 2005, 01:29 PM']Thanks!  I'm going to turn 16 in September.
[right][snapback]690508[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wow! I'm really impressed. You have a very mature outlook on it. :)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='RC_' date='Aug 19 2005, 01:20 PM']Over the years, I've been left out of stuff the other kids did, and sometimes still harbor resentment.

I think my parents might "blame God" for what happened.  I don't.
[right][snapback]690501[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't have any injuries or handicaps, but I do have social anxiety and always have. I used to spend all my recesses in school walking back and forth on the blacktop and talking to myself.

Sometimes it's hard not to resent being left out of stuff...but it's our choice to overcome that temptation to resent...that's what counts. :)

[quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 19 2005, 12:34 PM']Yeah, I don't have any injuries or handicaps, but I do have social anxiety and always have.  I used to spend all my recesses in school walking back and forth on the blacktop and talking to myself.

Sometimes it's hard not to resent being left out of stuff...but it's our choice to overcome that temptation to resent...that's what counts. :)
[right][snapback]690514[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Unless someone was playing four square or hand ball or something like that, I usually hung out on the blacktop...always blacktop, never asphault... :ohno: