An Old School Catholic Message Board

A cool blog entry...

jgirl

[url="http://www.stlyouth.org/blogs/view.php?id=199"]http://www.stlyouth.org/blogs/view.php?id=199[/url]

In St. Louis, a lot of people who work with the youth ministry office have blogs, and this is one of the guys reflecting on the final profession of one of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George (Sr. Beata used to work for the youth ministry office before becoming vocations directress).

The FSGM Sisters, Hum!!!! Aka the Martyrs according to the Cammelites!!!! They have so many nicknames its unreal!!!!! Now about the Alton Sisters!!!!!!!!!! well,i grew up knwoing them very much!!!! I know about 15 or more Sisters from their community!!!!!!!!! Sr. jacinta, Sr. petrea are on of the first ones that i have known since I was little!!!!!! The Sisters live near me here in Rock island!!!!!!!!!! Even though they are a very good community there are a few downs about the community that i can see!!!!!!!!! Even though they have wonderufla dn inspiring Sisters, a few here and there can discourage a vocation!!!!!!!!! i got yelled at by one of the Sisters for discerning a religious vocation!!!!!!!!!! A helpful tip from Sr. Beata, if the email doesnt look important enough, she will put it off to the side or delete it!!!!!!!!!! Mother Regina Pachis, finds something wrong in everyone!!!!!!!!!!! OH, and a fact by a friend, they have had so many sisters leave from the noivitate its unreal!!!! they ven had to hopsitalize a sister becuase there was something wrong with her after she entered into the community but she was a novice when she was hospitialized!!!!!

The ups about the community is that they have Sisters that make you feel welcomed. One Sister or 2 more me laugh when i see them. Sr. Luka who is in St. louis and Sr. Michael who watches Veggietales and works in Pastorial care!!!!!!!!!! Both Sisters are the best to talk to out of anyone but Sr. jacinta is awesome too but i only remember her from 1st grade!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, i have grown up knowing their Sisters and I know what the community is like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Aug 23 2005, 08:49 AM']The FSGM Sisters, Hum!!!! Aka the Martyrs according to the Cammelites!!!! They have so many nicknames its unreal!!!!! Now about the Alton Sisters!!!!!!!!!! well,i grew up knwoing them very much!!!! I know about 15 or more Sisters from their community!!!!!!!!! Sr. jacinta, Sr. petrea are on of the first ones that i have known since I was little!!!!!! The Sisters live near me here in Rock island!!!!!!!!!! Even though they are a very good community there are a few downs about the community that i can see!!!!!!!!! Even though they have  wonderufla dn inspiring Sisters, a few here and there can discourage a vocation!!!!!!!!! i got yelled at by one of the  Sisters for discerning a religious vocation!!!!!!!!!! A helpful tip from Sr. Beata, if the email doesnt look important enough, she will put it off to the side or delete it!!!!!!!!!! Mother Regina Pachis, finds something wrong in everyone!!!!!!!!!!! OH, and a fact by a friend, they have had so many sisters leave from the noivitate its unreal!!!! they ven had to hopsitalize a sister becuase there was something wrong with her after she entered into the community but she was a novice when she was hospitialized!!!!!
The ups about the community is that they have Sisters that make you feel welcomed. One Sister or 2 more me laugh when i see them. Sr. Luka who is in St. louis and Sr. Michael who watches Veggietales and works in Pastorial care!!!!!!!!!! Both Sisters are the best to talk to out of anyone but Sr. jacinta is awesome too but i only remember her from 1st grade!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, i have grown up knowing their Sisters and I know what the community is like!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[right][snapback]695410[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They haven't had too many leaving lately. It was mostly the postulant class that entered in 2001 that left in huge numbers (I think they started with 10, 9 became novices, and 4 made first vows a year ago). The postulant classes from 2002-present haven't lost anybody, which is pretty impressive. The girls who have entered lately are pretty cool, too!

I've grown up with the Sisters, too, and without them, I wouldn't have gotten very far in discernment because they were the first young Sisters I ever met when two novices (one left and one just made her final vows with Sr. Beata) were on our Life Teen core team.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 23 2005, 12:41 PM']They haven't had too many leaving lately. It was mostly the postulant class that entered in 2001 that left in huge numbers (I think they started with 10, 9 became novices, and 4 made first vows a year ago). The postulant classes from 2002-present haven't lost anybody, which is pretty impressive. The girls who have entered lately are pretty cool, too!

I've grown up with the Sisters, too, and without them, I wouldn't have gotten very far in discernment because they were the first young Sisters I ever met when two novices (one left and one just made her final vows with Sr. Beata) were on our Life Teen core team.
[right][snapback]695613[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Besides the things I find wrong with the Sisters of the community, i really do love them!!!!!! but the Sisters want em to let go of them and I have known without them in my life in the last 4 or 5 yrs, I wouldnt be discerning a religious vocation!!!!! they are the reason why i am discerning a vocation!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah i nocited that hardly anyone has left but I dop know from a girl who had entered into tehir community and left she tells me eveyrhting because she has connections from the community!!! Yoiu mentioned about meeting 2 noives, what were their names??? just curious!!!!! I'm tryign to see if one fo them was fromt eh same group as my firend!!!!!!!!!!! :disguise:

I honestly don't think it's unusual to lose half of your sisters by the time first vows roll around. Isn't that kind of how it is with the Nashville Dominicans?

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Aug 24 2005, 10:18 AM']Besides the things I find wrong with the Sisters of the community, i really do love them!!!!!! but the Sisters want em to let go of them and I have known without them in my life in the last 4 or 5 yrs, I wouldnt be discerning a religious vocation!!!!! they are the reason why i am discerning a vocation!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah i nocited that hardly anyone has left but I dop know from a girl who had entered into tehir community and left she tells me eveyrhting because she has connections from the community!!! Yoiu mentioned about meeting 2 noives, what were their names??? just curious!!!!! I'm tryign to see if one fo them was fromt eh same group as my firend!!!!!!!!!!!  :disguise:
[right][snapback]697047[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The first group of the Sisters who helped at my youth group were from the group that entered in 1996, so they were 3 years ahead of your friend since she entered in 2000. Sr. Mary Elizabeth just made final vows. They were replaced 6 months before they made first profession by Sisters who were already professed (Sr. Stephania, Sr. Regina, Sr. Nika, and another Sister whose name I can't remember who later left the community).

It's not unusual for young Sisters to leave their communities. A bunch left the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus a while back. The Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart in Pennsylvania said that they had the same problem a while back. Nashville loses a bunch, too.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:13 PM']The first group of the Sisters who helped at my youth group were from the group that entered in 1996, so they were 3 years ahead of your friend since she entered in 2000. Sr. Mary Elizabeth just made final vows. They were replaced 6 months before they made first profession by Sisters who were already professed (Sr. Stephania, Sr. Regina, Sr. Nika, and another Sister whose name I can't remember who later left the community).

It's not unusual for young Sisters to leave their communities. A bunch left the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus a while back. The Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart in Pennsylvania said that they had the same problem a while back. Nashville loses a bunch, too.
[right][snapback]697384[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

how would you know what yr my best friend entered into their community??? I just remember when i met her and how long shes been out!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:42 PM']how would you know what yr my best friend entered into their community??? I just remember when i met her and how long shes been out!!!!!!!!!!!
[right][snapback]697481[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If your friend is Samantha, I met her in 2001 when she was a first year novice.

AlterDominicus

I love Sr. Beata!!!! I also know Sister Stephania, Sister Margaretta, and Sister Teresia and I know Marie Welter aka: Sister M. Catherine's aunt, who is my mentor Sister Marion Welter.

Sister Margaretta is QUITE the actress!!!!! She and Sister Teresia were at Camp Vanasek this June, it was a Vocations Camp. I'm helping the director Deacon Mike Knuth coordinate camp for next year, it sounds like the SMME will take up the offer when it is given to them, and also the Little Sisters of the Poor might be there as well for camp next year of 2006!!!!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Aug 24 2005, 10:02 PM']I love Sr. Beata!!!! I also know Sister Stephania, Sister Margaretta, and Sister Teresia and I know Marie Welter aka: Sister  M. Catherine's aunt, who is my mentor Sister Marion Welter.

Sister Margaretta is QUITE the actress!!!!! She and Sister Teresia were at Camp Vanasek this June, it was a Vocations Camp. I'm helping the director Deacon Mike Knuth coordinate camp for next year, it sounds like the SMME will take up the offer when it is given to them, and also the Little Sisters of the Poor might be there as well for camp next year of 2006!!!!
[right][snapback]697885[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sr. Margaretta was in a really cool (and huge) postulant group! They all were at this workcamp, Christpower, in 1999 along with all the postulants from the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus. The coolest thing is when the Pope came to St. Louis and had a youth rally, their postulant group did this candle dance at the rally for him. I used to run into Sr. Teresia at random times all across the the country (when we went on the March for Life in 2004, I ran into her at a rest stop in Pennsylvania and at the Mass/Youth Rally at the MCI Center...and at various events in St. Louis).

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 24 2005, 10:48 PM']If your friend is Samantha, I met her in 2001 when she was a first year novice.
[right][snapback]697875[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What did you think of Sam when she was a novice??? When i first met her i thought she was the kewlest person ever adn i knew i wanted to stay in touch with her no matter what happens!!!!!!!!! Well, needlesstosay, we stil talk and we are like Sisters!!!! We tlak when she gets time and she helps me with things and I do the same for her!!!!!!!! Its so wonderful knowing her and i just love her so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I havent seen her sicne she was i the convent, she wants me toc ome out and stay with her for a while!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm nto sure when though but sometime soon, i hope!!!!!!!!!!