An Old School Catholic Message Board

Looking for a spiritual director

msahara

Hey guys-

How do I go about finding a spiritual director? I'm discerning a vocation to be a cloistered Dominican nun and it would be helpful to have a spiritual director but I'm not sure where to start. Thanks!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

You can talk to your parish priests, or if you know of an religious community nearby, you can probably find some help there.

Pray About it. Pray a novena maybe one to St. John Vienney. Ask God to guide you to the priest who he wants you to be led spiritually.

Your brother in Christ,

Eddie Lee

MC IMaGiNaZUN

as for a first spiritual director, i would definitely recommend getting a priest, instead of another religious. But That is why you have to pray about it.

I just moved here and need to find one. One member of the order is renown for his spiritual direction, but i am thinking of looking elsewhere.

SHALOM

FlyLikeABird

I'd give the opposite advice!

If you are going for religious community get a religious (qualified) spiritual director. How much does a diocesan parish priest really know about religious life?

No offense to all the priests here but you just don't live in community!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='FlyLikeABird' date='Aug 30 2005, 02:07 PM']I'd give the opposite advice!

If you are going for religious community get a religious (qualified) spiritual director. How much does a diocesan parish priest really know about religious life?

No offense to all the priests here but you just don't live in community!
[right][snapback]705268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
In the Seminary they sure have a pretty good idea though! And they still live in a community, just a much smaller one when assigned at a Parish.

catholicflower

you might want to contact you diocosian vocation director. My diocese (arlington,VA) has a whole list of priests who volunteered top help spiritual direction for discerners (boys + girls)

I had been praying for a Spiritual Director for a long time, and I finally have one!! God truly led me to this priest, and I knew the first time I saw him that he was supposed to be my Guide. That's my main advice- PRAY! God will bring you to your SD.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:58 PM']Oh that's awesome! Thanks for the advice. I really need one. Will you pray for me?
[right][snapback]705780[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Of course! Spiritual Directors are so crucial!! I'll keep you in my intentions during my Rosary tonight.

i am looking for one too. Unfortunately where I live there are not too many to choose from. They are either "flaky" or busy.

Years ago I went to a friend's SD on her advice that "this is the greatest SD I've ever had." So I went. HUGE MISTAKE.

Long story, short. The SD pulled out a Ouija Board asked me to get comfortable, I told her to "get real" and I walked out the door.

BE CAREFUL

I'm only looking for a priest. I've had kind of spiritual direction with very good religious, but I really, really need a priest now.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Aug 31 2005, 07:34 AM']i am looking for one too. Unfortunately where I live there are not too many to choose from. They are either "flaky" or busy.

Years ago I went to a friend's SD on her advice that "this is the greatest SD I've ever had."  So I went.  HUGE MISTAKE. 

Long story, short.  The SD pulled out a Ouija Board asked me to get comfortable, I told her to "get real" and I walked out the door.

BE CAREFUL
[right][snapback]706088[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll: hahahaha, that's really funny until you realize that it's actually really sad.