An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone considering Carmel?

Marieteresa

I know about them! I've been to their new monastery and was able to tour it (It was built just recently) before the nuns moved in. It is so beautiful, I love it. My they offered a lot of prayers for our school when it was getting started, therefore it is called Mount Carmel Academy. I know someone who knows Mother personally.

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Oct 16 2005, 01:46 PM']I know about them!  I've been to their new monastery and was able to tour it (It was built just recently) before the nuns moved in.  It is so beautiful, I love it.  My they offered a lot of prayers for our school when it was getting started, therefore it is called Mount Carmel Academy.  I know someone who knows Mother personally.
[right][snapback]760325[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Which monastery hon? Wisconsin? Or Nebraska?

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Oct 16 2005, 01:54 PM']Wisconsin ^_^
[right][snapback]760328[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They have a new monastery there?? How cool is that! I guess you didn't take any pictures of the place....Sounds cool though! I am just wondering are they traditional?

If you mean traditional in the sense that they totally devoted to the church and probably just the way St. Theresa would want, then yes, deffinetly.

Although I didn't take pictures, I remember it pretty well and would be able to describe it. I might be able to find a picture of the outside...

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 15 2005, 12:26 PM']I didn't apply to Carmel, but most orders make you get a physical and dental exam as part of apply/asking to enter. My order gave me forms for the physical
[right][snapback]759402[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

unfortunetly they didn't give me an form to fill out nor did they ask me for a dental examination. Just a letter from a doctor stating I am in good health. I guess thats how entrance examinations where back in the day or something.

Also about the Wisconsin Carmel...I thought about contacting there but I thought most of the religious orders there were very progressive. i think there is another Carmel in Wisconsin which didnt seem very traditional. (Traditonal in the sense of living the way that St. Teresa of Avila prescribed) But it would be great if you can post the pictures of the place. Just wondering are you feeling called to active or cloistered life?

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

Sr. Mary Scholastica is indeed very awesome :D I talked with her on the phone yesterday and stuff. She's Korean--actually went to church at St. Gregory, and I know a few people there. So she totally understands my whole predicament with my very Korean parents, and when I go tomorrow she wants to talk to my mom :) Whee~

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 17 2005, 07:36 PM']
Also about the Wisconsin Carmel...I thought about contacting there but I thought most of the religious orders there were very progressive.  i think there is another Carmel in Wisconsin which didnt seem very traditional.  (Traditonal in the sense of living the way that St. Teresa of Avila prescribed)  But it would be great if you can post the pictures of the place.  Just wondering are you feeling called to active or cloistered life?

[right][snapback]761745[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Here's what I've found online for now... [url="http://www.bacweb.org/news/craftawards/2002/2002_stone.htm"]http://www.bacweb.org/news/craftawards/2002/2002_stone.htm[/url] (It's the 5th one on the list, and that picture doesn't do it justice in my opinion)

[url="http://www.dioceseoflacrosse.com/Home/Offices%20and%20Ministries/Vocations/Consecrated%20Life/Recent%20Vocations.asp"]Here[/url] is the vocations page from the LaCrosse Diocese: The 7th picture down is a Novice. I don't know if she's a postulant or novice in that picture, because some of those pictures are old.

I'll see what I can do about finding that picture of the monastery I was talking about.

Myself, I am going to the SMME retreat this weekend to ask for application papers! So, I believe it's the active life for me. :)

[quote name='jiyoung' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:32 PM']Sr. Mary Scholastica is indeed very awesome :D I talked with her on the phone yesterday and stuff. She's Korean--actually went to church at St. Gregory, and I know a few people there. So she totally understands my whole predicament with my very Korean parents, and when I go tomorrow she wants to talk to my mom :) Whee~
[right][snapback]764153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah I just talked to her 2 days ago....she is so sweet! She said "You know I've only talked to you once and emailed you but I just feel like I've known you for a long time"

I can't wait to meet her! :saint:

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:32 PM']those pictures are wonderful!  Anyone know of the closest Carmel to the Chicagoland area?  I just want to make a short visit one day, even though I am pretty sure that I am meant to be a Franciscan...
[right][snapback]755800[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

there are the Carmelties fo the Divine Heart of Jesus, i was told that they havea house there!!!! The Sisters want me to go see them soon!!!!! Of where abouts it is in chaicago, not sure!!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:41 PM']there are the Carmelties fo the Divine Heart of Jesus, i was told that they havea  house there!!!! The Sisters want me to go see them soon!!!!! Of where abouts it is in chaicago, not sure!!!!!!
[right][snapback]765675[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So then I did see them at IKEA!!!!

I was at IKEA in Chicago, and I saw a group of 8 or so Carmelite nuns in full habit, and the habit looked exactly like the Carmelites DCJ's habits! I thought about asking them what order they were from, but then decided against it because they were having way too much fun at IKEA. They had like 5 carts full of stuff--sheets, towels, kitchen stuff, etc., so it looked like they were just opening a house (and a pretty snazzy one at that since it has the cool IKEA touches)

lol, i'm not sure exactly how long they have had the house in chicago, but all i do know is that they have teens and children living with them, i guess ones who dont have families, or maybe sister may judith said that theyir house there in chicago is known as the emergancy house, for those who dont have homes or not where to stay, not sure!!!!!

Hey Folkies!

Wow I didn't know that there were Carmelties fo the Divine Heart of Jesus in Chicago coolness!

Oh Yeah I almost forgot mother sent me the pictures of her 60th anniversary of Profession....THEY ARE SOOO BEAUTIFUL!! Oh my goodness...Ok I am going to stop gushing. I didn't know if anyone wanted to see them.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:38 AM']Hey Folkies!

Wow I didn't know that there were Carmelties fo the Divine Heart of Jesus in Chicago coolness!

Oh Yeah I almost forgot mother sent me the pictures of her 60th anniversary of Profession....THEY ARE SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!  Oh my goodness...Ok I am going to stop gushing.  I didn't know if anyone wanted to see them.

[right][snapback]766105[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We'd love to see the pictures if you are willing to share them with us!