An Old School Catholic Message Board

*Cough Cough*

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote]*******, if a Christian is truly a Christian -- a born again member of the family of God (John 1)-- then nothing can undo that (Romans 8). He or she may do wrong(1 John 1,2), but he or she will also be disciplined by God (Hebrews 12).

That being said, what about divorce? There are two times when it is Scripturally allowable:

1. For a lifestyle of adultery (a one-time mistake does not qualify) (see Proverbs 2, for example)

2. If the unbeliever leaves the marriage and initiates the divorce (1 Cor. 7).

Divorce was never intended by God, but then, never was sin! Both occur.

In both the cases above, the believer who is fully divorced is free to remarry.

What about severe spousal abuse? Separation is the better part of wisdom. Don't stick around for more bruises and blood!

If a believer chooses to divorce for reasons of spousal abuse, God knows the heart and I don't think it is up to us to judge. Real abuse is almost a type of slow murder and I don't think we have the obligation to play willing victim! However, although I know separation is biblical, divorce in this situation is a highly argumented subject.

But adultery? Ongoing affair(s) are biblical reason(s) for divorce.

And, again, if you are a Christian truly, then nothing you can do will change that -- you are under His ownership, and not your own.[/quote]

Talk about being full of bull.

I take it you're referring to the OSAS stuff?

None of this is all that surprising considering its source. In fact, I'd say this is pretty common teaching on both divorce and salvation for most Protestant denominations.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 6 2005, 12:08 PM']I take it you're referring to the OSAS stuff?

None of this is all that surprising considering its source. In fact, I'd say this is pretty common teaching on both divorce and salvation for most Protestant denominations.
[right][snapback]713138[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think the thread was called:

"Is the believer still saved if they get a divorce from their nonbeliver spouse" or something like that.

SIckening that I used to think like that :annoyed:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Sep 6 2005, 12:47 PM']i never understood irreconciliable differences.......
[right][snapback]713177[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
bleh... that's just legalize for "we don't want to be married anymore."

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 6 2005, 12:49 PM']bleh... that's just legalize for "we don't want to be married anymore."
[right][snapback]713183[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yep. "We just can't get along."

Or, "I'd rather be sleeping with that dude over there."

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 6 2005, 01:28 PM']It's certainly better than divorce for "irreconsilable differences" or "no fault" for pete's sake...
[right][snapback]713153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How about, "because he leaves the toilet seat up" or "she burned my grilled coagulated milk"?

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Sep 6 2005, 12:26 PM']I think the thread was called:

"Is the believer still saved if they get a divorce from their nonbeliver spouse"  or something like that.
SIckening that I used to think like that  :annoyed:
[right][snapback]713150[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, honestly my thoughts today aren't all that different from this particular post, aside from the OSAS teachings. And, of course, I defer to the Church's teachings on when divorce is justified.

And I guess I'm really not sickened that I once believed that. It's not all that surprising that I did, considering that this is the way I grew up and what I was taught from childhood. I think there's even a grain of truth in that teaching, in that God does love us and continue to woo us back to himself even after we've sinned.

I'm just wondering why you're so sickened at what you used to believe ... you didn't intentionally believe something you knew to be wrong. You accepted what you thought to be true. Then, when you learned the real truth, you accepted that, through God's grace.

It's not a bad thing that you used to be Protestant. God used even that faulty teaching to bring you closer to himself, which again is a testament to his grace.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Sep 6 2005, 12:57 PM']<-------- looks over there :idontknow:
[right][snapback]713192[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wouldn't rather be sleeping with him. I'm just saying that's what some people who divorce think. I don't have any particular feelings about that guy over there, one way or the other.