An Old School Catholic Message Board

A way to change one's confirmation name

Paladin D

I'm not sure if I picked a good saint for my Confirmation. St. Anthony of Padua, most of what he's a patron of doesn't relate to me. The only thing that really grabbed me was his willingness to preach the truth of the Catholic Church (thus "Hammer of the heretics" title).

Is there any way to change one's confirmation name?

Also, does this mean I'll become poor, joining the Franciscians, and start looking for people's lost articles? :idontknow: :unsure:

IcePrincessKRS

Nope. No changing it, You can "adopt" other saints as your patron, too, though.

No it doesn't mean you'll become poor and all the rest. lol

argent_paladin

You could join a religious order. Then you could take a religious name. It could be a lay order and then you'd have another patron. But I don't think you can change your confirmation name. But I really don't know. Although the pope probably has the power to change it. Why don't you ask him.

But isn't a confirmation name, significant?

I like St. Anthony, but I'm not 100% sure if he's a suitable patron for me. But hey, I always have my baptismal saint, St. Michael the Archangel. :lol:

[quote name='jmjtina' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:21 PM']Dallas, you just dissed a saint.  :ohno:

:P:

Adopt more, but learn to LOVE St. Anthony!!!!!!!!!! :love: I'm sure there is a reason!!!!!
[right][snapback]716444[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I really do like St. Anthony, but I'm trying to find something that we relate in, besides "Hammer of the heretics" thing. I'm not a good debater, nor do I spend most of my free time studying theology or apologetics.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 9 2005, 12:22 PM']I really do like St. Anthony, but I'm trying to find something that we relate in, besides "Hammer of the heretics" thing.  I'm not a good debater, nor do I spend most of my free time studying theology or apologetics.
[right][snapback]716446[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'll get over the slight on the friars, :P: but he main reason Anthony is a saint is that he was a baptised Christian ,did the will of God and loved his neighbour, all else is gloss. :D:

I did not choose my Saint. He was chosen for me. I originally chose my confirmation Saint because he was the Patron Saint of Astronauts and I wanted to be one at the time. Later, when I grew older, I became more interested in his life and works. It turns out we have much more in common than I could have possibly imagined.

i took catheryne as my confirmation name but didnt really take a patron saint--however i did do my saint report on st maria goretti. and my favorite saint is st therese. what does that make me...?

• 10 months later...

Paladin, you and I sound like twins. I chose St. Anthony too, and wasn't really able to relate to him for a long time (and still can't sometimes) but he's kind of grown on me. For example, I very much enjoy "hammering heretics" and I'm psyched to go get martyred like St. Anthony. Hooray! :kitten:

But yeah, you're definitely not the only one who may not have the best relationship with his patron saint, but it is a good thing to make the effort, as you are evidently trying to do.

Edited by DAF

St. Anthony is my boyfriend :)

I pray to him more than any other saint. I love his patronages. Maybe you just need to wait until your wife is pregnant and you can pray to him for her. Or that food is always on your family table... You never know. and there is probably more to him than you will have time to find out in this lifetime.

My patron saint I was assigned, and now I am amazed at how wonderfully suited she is for me :)

:thumbsup:

Here are all of his (St.Anthony) patronages:

against shipwrecks; against starvation; against starving; American Indians; amputees; animals; asses; barrenness; boatmen; Brazil; diocese of Beaumont, Texas; domestic animals; Dorado, Puerto Rico; elderly people; expectant mothers; [b]faith in the Blessed Sacrament[/b]; Ferrazzano, Italy; fishermen; harvests; horses; Lisbon, Portugal; lost articles; lower animals; mail; mariners; diocese of Masbate, Philippines; oppressed people; Padua, Italy; paupers; poor people; Portugal; pregnant women; sailors; Sandia Indian Pueblo; seekers of lost articles; shipwrecks; starvation; starving people; sterility; swineherds; Tigua Indians; travel hostesses; travellers; watermen

Edited by prose

How about Bartolo Longo. He was a Satanic Priest. Fits in with the Darth Vader motif.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Era Might' post='1027970' date='Jul 20 2006, 11:16 PM']
How about Bartolo Longo. He was a Satanic Priest. Fits in with the Darth Vader motif.
[/quote]
He's still a Blessed, I thought. Not yet canonized. :idontknow:

More to his story:

Anthony's wealthy family wanted him to be a great nobleman, but for the sake of Christ he became a poor Franciscan. Priest.

When the remains of Saint Berard and his companions, the first Franciscan martyrs, were brought to be buried in his church, Anthony was moved to leave his order, enter the Friars Minor, and go to Morocco to evangelize. Shipwrecked at Sicily, he joined some other brothers who were going to Portiuncula. Lived in a cave at San Paolo leaving only to attend Mass and sweep the nearby monastery. One day when a scheduled speaker failed to appear, the brothers pressed him into speaking. He impressed them so that he was thereafter constantly travelling, evangelizing, preaching, and teaching theology through Italy and France.

A gifted speaker, he attracted crowds everywhere he went, speaking in multiple tongues; legend says that even the fish loved to listen. Wonder worker. One of the most beloved of saints, his images and statues are found everywhere. Proclaimed a Doctor of the Church on 16 January 1946.

A cool story about St. Anthony. Some people didn't believe in God, so to prove that he existed, he held up a monstrance and a carrot before a hungry mule. The mule didn't go for the carrot, and in fact, knelt down in adoration before the host. The people were converted.

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1027974' date='Jul 20 2006, 11:18 PM']He's still a Blessed, I thought. Not yet canonized. :idontknow:
[/quote]

Does a confirmation name have to be a Saint?