An Old School Catholic Message Board

House of Formation

AlterDominicus

AlterDominicus

Ran by the Franciscan Sisters of Saint Francis of the Martry of Saint George of Alton, Illinios.

Heard about it? Heard of them? These Sisters are a group that does everything for a apostolate. From Health Care to Education, to Retired Bishops and Priests, to the Elderly Sick, to Prayer.

I met Sister Margaretta and Sister Theresa Marie at Camp Vanasek a annual girls vocations camp here in Minnesota (I am actually preparing for next Summer of 06' for camp.)

I'm tellin' ya! Sister Margaretta is like the one in the Sound of Music, except she can totally act!!!!! And she is such a um...Captain to say....haha. I'll tell you that part.

The campers and myself were going out to play capture the flag, and a lot of times the Sisters join in the actvities, Sister Margaretta was on our team the Headbands. We stood aloft behind the border of the armband team, and I'm tellin' ya like a sea Captain Sister came up with a great PLAN to get their flag (lifevest) It was so great that our team found out that we had captured all of the armband members and the only ones left were the guards.

Sister Theresa Marie on the other hand is a Franciscan Musician! She plays the guitar better then myself of course.

ANYWAY. They both live at the House of Formation in La Crosse, WI as oppose to their orginial Motherhouse in Alton, IL, whose Motherhouse is like in Germany or something.

I met the sisters at the Institute for Religious Life conference last spring. I knew a girl who spent a few months at the house of formation. It was her parents' idea, though, not hers- just not her calling. But anyway, I do know about the house, yes.

AlterDominicus

Amazing...
Such a grace...
;)

I have so many copies of their brochures I'm like, WAIT a minute! Cause I also know *virtually* Sister Beata, and Sister Stephania. :mario: :luigi:

Hey, I'm in the La Crosse Diocese and one of my best friends lives at the House of Formation with the sisters. I've made a weekend visit down there, as well. They are such a great community!

AlterDominicus

GAH! Dear Jesus, I pray that this will be you will for my life of school!!!!!!!!

Excellent! Hey, I noticed that your avatar is from the Nuns in Wisconsin. The Cist. Nuns Of Our Lady of Valley. I know Sister Marie Gabrielle.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Sep 9 2005, 08:07 PM']GAH! Dear Jesus, I pray that this will be you will for my life of school!!!!!!!!

Excellent! Hey, I noticed that your avatar is from the Nuns in Wisconsin. The Cist. Nuns Of Our Lady of Valley. I know Sister Marie Gabrielle.
[right][snapback]717617[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, it is! Isn't Sister Marie Gabrielle a sweetheart? We've been corresponding for I think 10 months now, and I visited the Cistercian monastery twice over the summer. I'm really seriously discerning with their community.

What year are you in high school? Have you contacted Sister Stephania about the House of Formation at all? If not, I can PM you her e-mail address. She's a very wonderful woman, and she'd be so glad to help you out with any questions you may have.

Edited by ForHimAlone

AlterDominicus

I've been in contact with Sister Marie Gabrielle for a few good months. If there is the common thing she says its, "Be good..." Do tell her I said "Hi!" Next time you go in fro a visit.

Yes, I've had contact with Sister Stephania. I am a 10th Grader, Sophy right now, and I am getting baptized and confirmed this Easter Vigil. By God' s Will I might be at the High School in La Crosse for my Junior and Senior year, just to make sure, before I enter the "God chosen" convent.

~ Amanda

Edited by AlterDominicus

I've never been there, but right before they established the House of Formation, Sr. Stephania was on the core team for my youth group. She was assigned there right around the same time I was getting ready to leave for college. She was telling me about it, and if it had been around when I was in high school, I probably would have gone there. One of the 2nd year novices, Sister M. Gianna (I actually talked to her tonight!!!), graduated from there, and another girl who just started the postulancy, Jean, went there (I met her on a discernment retreat 2 years ago).

As for the community, I highly recommend them! My best friend just entered yesterday, and I am so glad that I've gotten to know them over the course of my life. They were the first truly joyful Sisters I met, and every single one of them is full of joy.

AlterDominicus

Ah...the Sisters are wonderful, I loved it when they were at camp, CONSTANTLY talking about Alton and their "swimming pool", it was like the hilarious thing ever!

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Sep 10 2005, 12:50 PM']That sounds like such a cool thing. We don't have anything like that down South.
[right][snapback]718202[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The House of Formation in La Crosse is actually the only one in the whole country where girls in high school can come live in the convent without aligning themselves to the particular community. In fact, the Sisters take the girls to a bunch of other convents, active and cloistered.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Sep 10 2005, 02:19 PM']Yes, I found that out in a split second which was so, "Awesome God electrifying, Spirit blazing, Christ acomin!"
[right][snapback]718275[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You know, if you'd like, I could get you in touch with my friend who lives at Mater Redemptoris House of Formation. She's a senior this year, and her name is Anne. This is her second year staying at the House of Formation, and I'm sure she'd love to e-mail you about it and share her experiences with you, if you'd like. PM me if you'd be interested in getting in contact with her.

Sr. Beata and Sr. ignatous (sp?) came to Rock island this weekend, where a few of their Sisters are stationed. We are having a Eucharistic Adoartion Weekend. Sr. Beata of course had a great display about the community. I kept looking at it and thinking how much the Sisters mean to me. Finally, I was approached by Sr. beata who asked a question and I couldnt speak because I so speachless or didnt know what to say. then i said in a quite voice, "may I re-discern with the community again Sister??" She said lets go for a walk. So we left Everyone from the retreat and walked around the area. We talked about so much, mainly about me and my life with the Sisters. I had tears running down my face and she tried to make me laugh and which she did because shes that good at it!!!! Then we stopped talking and then she went away. I sat dow looked more and more at the display and then up at the cross, I just started crying. She walked in and told me not to punish myself, or something like that!!!!!!! Then during the night when people were wanting to know questions about the community and Sister was busy so i would answer their questions. And even at dinner when Sr. ignatious had a mouth full of food, I was answering questions for her. Her and I got along so well, maybe its a red-head thing!!!!!!!!!!

but anways, yes, they are a great community. I love their mission and eveyrhting about them. Thats all i have to say except, i might be going to the retreat in November!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!