An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters

Philothea2000

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Franciscan Sisters, Third Order Regular of Pennance of the Sorrowful Mother?
www.torsisters.org
They are in Ohio, near Steubenville.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone ever visted them?

Third Order means they're Lay sisters, I think.

It looks interesting. Thanks for posting. Most of us around here go for the full traditional habit, but there might be someone interested :)

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Sep 30 2005, 08:54 AM']Third Order means they're Lay sisters, I think.

It looks interesting. Thanks for posting. Most of us around here go for the full traditional habit, but there might be someone interested :)
[right][snapback]742002[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Third Order does NOT mean lay sisters. Lay sisters were abolished in the 1960's. It just means Third Order. The Cloistered Poor Clare Nuns are 2nd Order. That's why they are Third Order REGULAR. They follow a rule and live in community. The Dominican Sisters, like Nashville and Ann Arbor are actually Third Order, also. But there are Third Order Lay Dominicans, too.

The've been around for about 10 years. The habit they wear is the habit they choose when they were founded. It's not any less than the "traditional" habit. A new congregation doesn't need to wear what an Order began wearing 800 years ago to be a faithful, orthodox order. The Church says that religious should wear the habit, not that religious must wear what we think of as the "traditional" habit.

I don't know them personally but I've heard good things about them.

I didn't mean to get testy about the habit. I lOVE the habit and wouldn't consider a community that didn't wear it but I think we have to be careful not to confuse principles with romanticism or an image. One COULD becomes narrow minded that way and the Church is not that way at all.

I happen to like the traditional habit very much but I've also learned that it's not everything. It's not a guarentee of a community's fidelity. I know of a few traditional type communities and they have some problems or internal conflicts but you wouldn't know that just by the externals and by their habits.

God bless you! If you are attracted to the TOR's then get in touch and get to know them better. It's the only way.

You did seem a little testy, but that's fine with me ^_^

Note that I said "I think". Because I wasn't sure, I said "I think", but you correct me as if I were stating fact. I have no hard feelings, but I just want to make sure you don't think I"m trying to mislead people.

As for my comment on "full traditional habits" I think we know what I meant by that. I have no problem with the habit they wear, but I would presume if you took a poll of the girls discerning around here there is a possibility that the majority are looking for a [i]fuller[/i] habit.

Edited by Totus Tuus

The TORs wear a habit. They are in the CMSWR, too. Their habit is a bit more full than some in the CMSWR, although I think they have the option to wear white polo shirts and navy shorts when they are on vacation, which is iffy to me.

They are, however, very orthodox. They are a bit on the charismatic side, and they are active, but their life is a lot more contemplative than other active orders. They are solid, and they are getting young vocations. I know I'm not called there, but I know girls from college who have entered (most of them come from Steubenville, and they have a strong relationship with the university)

Yeah they sound like the Daughters of Saint Paul. Still pretty orthodox, just not what most girls around here seem to be looking for. But they seem like a good Order.. I'd like to meet them sometime, God willing. Maybe they'll come to the Shrine and viist us :P

passionheart

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Sep 30 2005, 05:08 PM']You did seem a little testy, but that's fine with me ^_^

Note that I said "I think". Because I wasn't sure, I said "I think", but you correct me as if I were stating fact. I have no hard feelings, but I just want to make sure you don't think I"m trying to mislead people.

As for my comment on "full traditional habits" I think we know what I meant by that. I have no problem with the habit they wear, but I would presume if you took a poll of the girls discerning around here there is a possibility that the majority are looking for a [i]fuller[/i] habit.
[right][snapback]742377[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It interesting the note that while yes, the TOR aren't lay sisters many congregations of sister began as lay communities. Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne is one example I think most of you in the US know about. The foundress Rose Hawthrone, daughter of your famous author Nathanial Hawthorne, after her conversion was a third order Dominician.

May lay people wanted to be affliate with the religious orders and of course they Third Orders came into being them. However, some of the lay people began to live in community and take vows similar to religious order. Which lead to the establishment of the some of the Third orders.

Cheers,

DM

Edited by passionheart

Philothea2000

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Oct 1 2005, 07:32 AM']Yeah they sound like the Daughters of Saint Paul. Still pretty orthodox, just not what most girls around here seem to be looking for. But they seem like a good Order.. I'd like to meet them sometime, God willing. Maybe they'll come to the Shrine and viist us :P
[right][snapback]742983[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Interesting that you mention the Daughters of St Paul. I had looked at them for awhile but after some discernment decided that they didn't seem to be going in the direction that fits with what I feel God calling me to (if that makes sense).
I guess because the ministry is so different I don't see that much of a correlation. Plus a Franciscan spiritulaity vs. their Pauline spirituality as far as charism. I guess the blend of contemplative/active is the biggest similarity. It seems the TOR sisters have more prayer structured in their day/week.

Blessings to you on your aspirancy with the PCPA's!

I spent four summers (summer programs) discerning with them, all the way through high school. They were the only Order I really had access to, and overall I was in love with them. But I didn't like their habit much, and I didn't have any passion for their charism. But I love the spirituality, the sisters, the founder, the life...
Then I discovered the contemplative life, which I knew nothing about. All that time it was the fact that I was not called to active life that I never knew!
But I am close to many of the sisters, and I have such happy memories with them.
One funny thing is, I have realized that God [i]did[/i] have the Catholic media apostolate in His plan for my vocation, though. The Order I'm joining is the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration, one of whom (Mother Angelica) founded the largest Catholic media network in the world (EWTN), and the sisters now spend much of their time praying for its continued success :)

Edited by Totus Tuus

Philothea2000

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Oct 4 2005, 10:23 AM']I spent four summers (summer programs) discerning with them, all the way through high school. They were the only Order I really had access to, and overall I was in love with them. But I didn't like their habit much, and I didn't have any passion for their charism. But I love the spirituality, the sisters, the founder, the life...
Then I discovered the contemplative life, which I knew nothing about. All that time it was the fact that I was not called to active life that I never knew!
But I am close to many of the sisters, and I have such happy memories with them.
One funny thing is, I have realized that God [i]did[/i] have the Catholic media apostolate in His plan for my vocation, though. The Order I'm joining is the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration, one of whom (Mother Angelica) founded the largest Catholic media network in the world (EWTN), and the sisters now spend much of their time praying for its continued success :)
[right][snapback]745836[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is a great story. I am looking at the PCPA's and have contacted the ones in Arizona (much closer than Alabama). I also wrote vocation directoress there in Alabama (with the info that they request on the website) but all I got back was a newsletter and a donation envelope. I don't know if God is trying to tell me something or what. I just don't have the money right now to just go and visit the shrine.

Many prayers for you aspirancy! :saint:

The sisters are all so busy... it may take a number of weeks for them to send an actual letter. I can remember [i]dying[/i] to hear back from them whenever I'd write.

To visit the Shrine, the only money you need is for transportation. The sisters house and feed you, and the brothers take you to and from the airport. But I know plane tickets can be expensive, though.

I hope it works out well for you!! Thanks for the prayers! Let me know if you end up visiting Olam ^_^

daugher-of-Mary

I went on a road trip with some of the TOR Sisters, and they are fantastic!
Very orthodox, faithful, and they have a unreal sense of humor. hehe.
They are very Charismatic, and that's not for everyone. I don't know..make a visit and find out for yourself!

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Oct 5 2005, 05:00 PM']I went on a road trip with some of the TOR Sisters, and they are fantastic!
Very orthodox, faithful, and they have a unreal sense of humor. hehe.
They are very Charismatic, and that's not for everyone. I don't know..make a visit and find out for yourself!
[right][snapback]747544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
They always seemed like a lot of fun! They also do spiritual direction in the girls' dorms on campus, so they would walk around the building sometimes when they didn't have appointments with girls. The two girls I know, Mollie and Leanne (they have since gotten new names, but I forget what they are), were really cool. They probably still are.

Philothea2000

It is good to hear good things about the sisters. I spoke with Sr. Catherine Lynn and she said that I could come and visit. They are having a come and see in November. I hope to connect with her on the finalized dates so I can get a plane flight in my price range. I am very excited.

If anyone else has any input, please feel free.