An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just an idea, folks.....

benedictaj

LOL look at that title......hehehe :lol_roll:

Well, while I was praying the Rosary last night, an idea came to me, so I thought I'd chuck it out to see what you thought....

I thought we could share anything spiritual together. I mean, we talk about nuns etc.......but we don't seem to have a specific thread for "just" the religiousy side of it all (and the most important part!!!!)

Like, whenever anyone wanted to, they could share reflections, articles, meditations, prayers, novenas etc....and we could keep them all in the same thread....(easy to keep track on them all.) Am I out on a limb here?

Actually I'll start, what are your favourite Mysteries of the Rosary? I was also thinking about this, as this Friday is the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary...

Personally, I love them all, of course!!! But my absolute favourites are the Joyful ones......I love each one equally...I love how they can be all so relevant in our every day life. Like, I found the Annunciation of our Lord best to meditate on early on in discernment. And I adore the Presentation of our Lord...I don't why, but I have a strong connection to the Mystery, and always have. The Joyful Mysteries were also the first ones I could "properly" meditate on for the WHOLE Rosary....!

I also love the Glorious Mysteries, esp as they were my first Mysteries of the Rosary ever.....goodness, what a long time ago!!!!! I like the Descent of the Holy Spirit best out of them. I used to find the Sorrowful Mysteries almost painful...I would get so caught up in His bravery in suffering soooooooo much, for us! (I found it really hard after seeing "the Passion of Christ" by Mel Gibson)

I love the Rosary so much!!! I love it how each Mystery can mean so much at certain points in your life. (I found the Resurrection an awesome one for helping to "keep on track" when things get messy.)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I really should be getting to bed so I can get up tomorrow for Mass! It's the feast day of St. Francis!
But I'm hoping that my guardian angel and my alarm clock can help me out ;)

I found quite an attachment to the Passion, and I have for quite some time, so I found the Sorrowful mysteries the most fruitful to meditate on... But then I realized I must not be continually in sorrow, but also in joy! I have found great joy in both the Joyful and GLorious mysteries... In fact while pilgrimaging at WYD to the vigil site, I prayed the Joyful Mysteries and I was full of joy! At the end I got a little message...

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but that's my bit :)

Nah, thats awesome!!!!!!!!! Have a good sleep :P: Yay, yes, St Francis' feast day is almost over for me! Its late afternoon!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

also, i find my prayers to be most fruitful when it is late at night and I am very tired and I have to fight to stay awake... anyone else? Or am I just weird :P:

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 4 2005, 04:06 PM']also, i find my prayers to be most fruitful when it is late at night and I am very tired and I have to fight to stay awake...  anyone else?  Or am I just weird :P:
[right][snapback]745251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Me too!!!!! Especially the Rosary....it "works" best at night, when I'm by myself, and can collect my thoughts together......Also, I love praying bang in the middle of the night....

An exception is the Divine Mercy chaplet, it "works" best in the afternoon, generally when I'm walking home from school....

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='memtherose' date='Oct 3 2005, 09:13 PM']Me too!!!!! Especially the Rosary....it "works" best at night, when I'm by myself, and can collect my thoughts together......Also, I love praying bang in the middle of the night....

An exception is the Divine Mercy chaplet, it "works" best in the afternoon, generally when I'm walking home from school....
[right][snapback]745262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Rosary is usually my prayer of choice late at night... It takes me about an hour plus to get through one set of mysteries... and I usually am crying throughout it... most of the time joyful tears, sometimes sorrowful tears...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yay! He is going to be my Holy Father (of the Franciscan order, not in a heterodoxial way...) when I become a Franciscan :)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 4 2005, 04:19 PM']The Rosary is usually my prayer of choice late at night...  It takes me about an hour plus to get through one set of mysteries...  and I usually am crying throughout it...  most of the time joyful tears, sometimes sorrowful tears...
[right][snapback]745271[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Really?? thats awesome. It usually takes a little shorter for me...unless I fall asleep! :blush: I love falling asleep while praying though..... :love:

Happy feast day for all you future Franciscans! St. Francis is awesome!

As for the mysteries, I really like the Luminous mysteries (thank you JP2)! Each of the mysteries can be said to be joyous, sorrowful, glorious, and luminous in their own ways, I think. The luminous mysteries are just so rich in doctrine and imagery.

Also, I like the writings of St. Teresa of Jesus and St. Juan of the Cross. Does anyone else find it easier to read Dark Night than to read Interior Castle? I love St. Teresa very much but, stylistically, her writings are hard to follow. It's not a straight and systematic argument like St. Juan's arguments. However, I love both their writings. Carmelite spirituality is very beautiful (even for this future Dominican!) and I feel that it very aptly informs the Dominican spirituality of growing in virture and loving Christ by truly knowing Him through study and prayer.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:04 PM']My favorite are the glorious

includes the resurrection!!!!
[right][snapback]745247[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My favorite are the Sorrowful

I love the Luminous Mysteries. And the Sorrowful Mysteries. And the the Glorious Mysteries. And I can't forget the Joyful Mysteries. lol. The Holy Madonna is so wonderful. I'm so awful at praying the Rosary, but she's made me better, in spite of it all. The Luminous Mysteries, though... as we meditate upon the sacraments. I love them, I suppose, because although I grew up Catholic... no one really told me anything about them. I missed out on so much. And they remind me about how fortunate that despite my shortcomings, my cynicism, God pulled me to Him anyway. And that gives me hope that, maybe, just maybe, despite my unworthiness, God will allow me to be one of His brides! :love:

Edited by zunshynn