An Old School Catholic Message Board

i saw a tiny monstrance at a store

Ziggamafu

...because man, would that be cool. I've always wished I could be totally alone with Jesus in Eucharistic form.

phatcatholic

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='Oct 8 2005, 10:28 PM']...because man, would that be cool. I've always wished I could be totally alone with Jesus in Eucharistic form.
[right][snapback]751266[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
this would not be appropriate. only a priest can handle the sacred species.

raphael informed me that your "tiny monstrance" may have been a [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=reliquary"][b]reliquary[/b][/url], or "a receptacle, such as a coffer or shrine, for keeping or displaying sacred relics." i found some [url="http://www.paxhouse.com/reliquary.html"][b]here[/b][/url] and they do look like tiny monstrances. :D:

JMJ
10/10 - Twenty-eighth Monday

Also, small monstrances are used by poor missions, as well as in a very small environs (i.e. hospital chapel).

As a matter of clarification, a deacon and an acolyte can expose and repose the Blessed Sacrament.

As an installed acolyte, I have the licit ability to expose and repose. I cannot however, give a benediction.

[quote name='Cam42 @ Sep 30 2005' date=' 10:55 PM; What is an acolyte?']An acolyte is the second of the minor orders en route to becoming a priest. It is more than being an altar boy. An acolyte is a formal function within the life of the Church. He is the ordinary minister of the altar. He will assist the deacon and the priest, just as the deacon and the priest assist the bishop. An altar boy is an extra ordinary minister, in light of there not being enough acolytes to serve the Mass. That is a big distinction. Just as the lector is the ordinary minister of the Word.[/quote]

[quote name='Cam42 @ Aug 9 2005' date=' 01:20 PM; Altar server age limit?']Some of the things that I can do....

I am formally entrusted with lighting the altar candles.

I am a permanent Extraordinary minister of Holy Communion.

I can assist the deacon during the Mass.

I can purify the vessels after Holy Communion.

I can expose and repose the Blessed Sacrament.

Before Vatican Council II, one was ordained to the highest of the minor orders, however, it was changed around 1972 to institution. Now, any MAN can be instituted as an acolyte, although it is rare today.[/quote]

Deacons and priests can have benediction, however, any acolyte (including myself) can simply expose and repose the Blessed Sacrament, for exposition.

I hope this clears things up.