An Old School Catholic Message Board

we're so PRETTY

theculturewarrior

[quote name='shelly_freak' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:23 PM']I had a punk phase...now I don't know what I dress like...me :D:

(which still includes a little punkyness, something I'm still not mature enough to totally give up)
[right][snapback]762832[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I had a slight goth phase, but I still never really dressed like it. I dress kind of like a my age/version of my mom and wish I had more music like soft goth metal which would truly be pretty.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:14 AM']what did you mean by "pretty vacant" ??
[right][snapback]767978[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's a song by the Sex Pistols. You should see footage of them singing it! That's punk rock!

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Dudette' date='Oct 22 2005, 03:20 PM']niiiiiice TCW. Hey in the other pic you had your hands in your pockets too. You like your pockets eh? :P:
[right][snapback]767367[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah. They're nice and warm. (After all, it was down to like the mid-eighties yesterday. :P: )

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Oct 23 2005, 05:14 AM']It's a song by the Sex Pistols. You should see footage of them singing it! That's punk rock!
[right][snapback]768006[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i want a net shirt, like that one guy

theculturewarrior

They were captains of the "teenage angst" industry. It's become cliche at this point, but they pioneered the rebel-against-everything youth culture that's still around today. They are NOT a good influence (with a name like the Sex Pistols, who knew?) but there would be no Christian punk rock if they had never been.

I think if musicians were as angry about what's wrong with the world as the Sex Pistols were with the establishment, authority, etc., the next generation would be entirely Catholic. I'm not talking wimpy-right-from-wrong anger. I mean, Old Testament wrath of God anger. There is so much to work with! When an unscrupulous man breaks a woman's heart after an illicit sexual affair, and a Christian man is watching the whole time, that situation could make a punk rock song that could compete in the mainstream. Persecution is another situation. The Church is persecuted, even here! That's where the Psalms came from, for the most part. It is meat for a punk rock song.

There are a lot of things that a Christian musician could hate and be angry about, and write songs based on that hate. It would be compelling to angst driven teens. As a Christian, though, I have a hard time hating anymore.

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:15 AM']Yeah. They're nice and warm. (After all, it was down to like the mid-eighties yesterday. :P: )
[right][snapback]768007[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:shock: THAT'S NOT EVEN COLD!!!! ahahahahaha.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Dudette' date='Oct 23 2005, 10:23 AM']:shock:  THAT'S NOT EVEN COLD!!!! ahahahahaha.
[right][snapback]768090[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, but when they put the AC on in the Library...brrrrrrr

photosynthesis

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Oct 23 2005, 04:50 AM']I had a slight goth phase, but I still never really dressed like it.  I dress kind of like a my age/version of my mom and wish I had more music like soft goth metal which would truly be pretty.
[right][snapback]767999[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There was a period of time where all I listened to was Morrissey, The Smiths, and Dead Can Dance...

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Oct 23 2005, 12:35 PM']Yeah, but when they put the AC on in the Library...brrrrrrr
[right][snapback]768096[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ah, this is true.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 23 2005, 10:07 AM']There was a period of time where all I listened to was Morrissey, The Smiths, and Dead Can Dance...
[right][snapback]768115[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I never heard of the first two. I've only heard one song by the last, but I can't understand the words. It's called [i]Arabian Gothic[/i] or something like that. I got it back when I had limewire about three years ago. I could never be a true goth though. I did get a Necromance CD last spring.

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:26 AM']i want a net shirt, like that one guy
[right][snapback]768033[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Freak.

I mean that in the most loving way possible. [img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/KsSmilies/hugs/hug2.gif[/img] Normals can get scary. :blink:

With love (and something that had to be said about the idea of a guy in a net shirt)
Your hopefully slightly quirky sis in Christ

photosynthesis

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Oct 23 2005, 01:45 PM']I never heard of the first two.  I've only heard one song by the last, but I can't understand the words.  It's called [i]Arabian Gothic[/i] or something like that.  I got it back when I had limewire about three years ago.  I could never be a true goth though.  I did get a Necromance CD last spring.
[right][snapback]768167[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Smiths are a band from the late 80's. They have very depressing lyrics, like "and if a double decker bus / crashes into us / to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die." I never wore enough eyeliner to be considered goth, though.

One of my younger cousins is getting into the whole goth thing, and she's been shopping at Hot Topic. I keep asking her if she's a visigoth or a demigoth.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 23 2005, 11:07 AM']There was a period of time where all I listened to was Morrissey, The Smiths, and Dead Can Dance...
[right][snapback]768115[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I used to sing like Morrisey. I'm not ashamed to say I'm incapable of that any more! :P: