An Old School Catholic Message Board

an official language?

photosynthesis

Should the United States adopt an official lanugage?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

Some say Americans all should be proficient in English, and if you don't speak English, you're not really an American.

Some countries have multiple official languages, such as South Africa, which has 11 official languages!

I don't think we should have an official language at all.

termitescoming4u!

well, it's good to have an official language so that citizens of that country can communicate better and understand each other better. Having different languages have the effect of dividing people by making them ethnocentric about their language and identity. For example, war-torn countries like Congo are constantly fighting civil wars because of language and cultural differences. So, I don't see how multiple languages will be beneficial to a country since it's known to divide and pit different ethnic groups against each other. At least in my country, Nigeria, it brings disunity.

I am very much in favor of everyone in a the nation speaking one language. Otherwise you wind up with ghettos full of second-class citizens who can't interact with the greater part of the country.

BTW, I am not remotely anti-immigrant! I would like to see open immigration.

English has been the "unofficial official" language of America since its founding, and there is no reason to change that. Making English the official language would only be necessary because of those who want to make the country officially "multi-lingual." If one does not know English, he cannot be an informed American citizen. In times past, immigrants came here speaking Italian, German, and other languages, but all had to learn English. Why is this considered a problem now?

[quote name='termitescoming4u!' date='Oct 22 2005, 04:33 PM']well, it's good to have an official language so that citizens of that country can communicate better and understand each other better. Having different languages have the effect of dividing people by making them ethnocentric about their language and identity. For example, war-torn countries like Congo are constantly fighting civil wars because of language and cultural differences. So, I don't see how multiple languages will be beneficial to a country since it's known to divide and pit different ethnic groups against each other. At least in my country, Nigeria, it brings disunity.
[right][snapback]767408[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly.
"Multi-linguism" is usually supported by "multicultural" liberals, who despise America and want to divide ethnic groups against "white" America.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 22 2005, 09:53 PM']LATIN!  make it Latin!

that'd be hilarious... then all the political officials and stuff would all have to know Latin! :lol:
[right][snapback]767575[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that would be cool!!! and the Holy Father can be our president!

son_of_angels

I totally think Latin should be our official language (along with all the Senators being appointed by Bishops, etc.). A good 'ol Catholic theocracy never hurt anybody...

Well, considering that so much of what goes on in America is in English, I think it would be nearly impossible to get around without knowing basic English. That aside, I don't see what would hurt with having English be an official language.

A tidbit that I learned in intercultural communications; an equal opportunity workplace for the most part does not allow workers to speak in different languages with one another (the one exception I can think of is translators working with clients). Talking in a language not understood by all workers creates suspicion and doesn't really help with teamwork and communication. Of course the rule doesn't count during breaks and lunch. I never knew this until that class.

One has only to look at Quebec in Canada to realize that allowing another language to be official is a bad idea. It contributes mightily to disunity.
Did you know most immigrants resisted like anything when the idiots wanted to set up schools that taught in their native language? They want their kids to learn English because that's the language of their new home. At the turn of the 20th century, this talk of separate schools was going around. It's an old idea, and still very stupid.

It is absolutely ludicrous for a country to change its language for immigrants. That makes no frickin' sense.

I don't want to learn spanish to order a taco in America. I want to learn spanish so that when I go somewhere that speaks spanish, I can get by.