An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wipe Israel from map, says Iran’s president

Lounge Daddy

In the picture of the Iranians with pistols held up to the Israeli flag, do they realize there are other people on the other side of the flag? If they pull the trigger, the flag won't be the only thing with a gaping hole in it.

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:35 AM']In the picture of the Iranians with pistols held up to the Israeli flag, do they realize there are other people on the other side of the flag? If they pull the trigger, the flag won't be the only thing with a gaping hole in it.
[right][snapback]772830[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They're toy guns.

so much hatred. Lord help us.

i just read about this after reading about the train derailing in India.. and the explosions.. and the bomb in Iraq..

what is going on..

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 27 2005, 01:30 PM']I don't see how your statement is relevant to the story. The Iranian government does not speak for Islam. Their take on religion is just that; theirs. It does not make Islam, as a religion, peaceful or unpeaceful, anymore than the IRA makes Catholicism a terrorist organization. To judge a religion, you have to look to those who speak for it. There is no such person as far as I know in Islam. Which makes it a religion subject to diversity of thought.
[right][snapback]772071[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, Mohammed certainly spoke for Islam, and he was all about killing infidels, as were all his early successors.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 29 2005, 11:29 PM']Well, Mohammed certainly spoke for Islam, and he was all about killing infidels, as were all his early successors.
[right][snapback]773783[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The comment was about the Iranian government, not Mohammed.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 30 2005, 09:39 AM']The comment was about the Iranian government, not Mohammed.
[right][snapback]773916[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i think he's saying Islam has its roots firmly planted in exterminating "unbelievers"
so... what we see today is nothing new

son_of_angels

I should hope, for their own sake, however, that they do not attempt war with Israel. The Jews will wipe the floor with them.

Even if the Iranians were to have nuclear weapons, Israel has an arsenal that could wipe out every major city in Iran. Think about their war with Egypt....

The question is, do the Jews have the guts to defend themselves and the other peoples (Christian and Islam) under their care in this day and time, or does the Christian West have to take up the slack in order to defend what is also OUR Holy Land and religious sites? If we must do the work anyway, I would suggest that Israeli/Palestinian sovereignty is no longer expedient.

Vatican condemns Iran's call for destruction of Israel

Vatican, Oct. 28 (CWNews.com) - The Vatican has denounced as "unacceptable" a statement by Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadeinejad, who had called for the destruction of the state of Israel.

Although he did not mention the Iranian leader by name, Joaquin Navarro-Valls, the director of the Vatican press office, condemned "certain statements, particularly serious and unacceptable, in which the right to the existence of the state of Israel was denied."

The Vatican spokesman said that Israelis and Palestinians alike have the right to "peace and security in their own sovereign states."

[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=40444"]http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=40444[/url]

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Oct 30 2005, 03:18 PM']The question is, do the Jews have the guts to defend themselves and the other peoples (Christian and Islam) under their care in this day and time, or does the Christian West have to take up the slack in order to defend what is also OUR Holy Land and religious sites?
[right][snapback]774160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's interesting. I've observed that Israel has been more willing to use force in self-defense, and it has been the "Christian west" that has pressured Israel to restrain itself.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:35 PM']i think he's saying Islam has its roots firmly planted in exterminating "unbelievers"
so... what we see today is nothing new
[right][snapback]774015[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly. Claiming Mohammed is irrelevant to the teachings of Islam is like saying Jesus Christ is irrelevent to the teachings of the Church.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 30 2005, 10:50 PM']Exactly.  Claiming Mohammed is irrelevant to the teachings of Islam is like saying Jesus Christ is irrelevent to the teachings of the Church.
[right][snapback]774431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The comment was not about Mohammed. It was about Iran.

If somebody posts a story about Frances Kissling, and says "hmmm, I thought Catholicism was supposed to be pro-life", it's not exactly relevant, because Frances Kissling does not represent Catholicism. If the story was about the Pope, it would be a different story, because the Pope DOES represent Catholicism.

Catch my drift?

son_of_angels

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 31 2005, 06:41 AM']The comment was not about Mohammed. It was about Iran.

If somebody posts a story about Frances Kissling, and says "hmmm, I thought Catholicism was supposed to be pro-life", it's not exactly relevant, because Frances Kissling does not represent Catholicism. If the story was about the Pope, it would be a different story, because the Pope DOES represent Catholicism.

Catch my drift?
[right][snapback]774689[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that he was saying that it was not ONLY Iran which represented a religion bent on killing infidels, etc. but also Islam itself, deriving from particular teachings of Muhammed.

How Iran interprets Islam I would hardly characterize as hypocritical or peculiar, excepting the more liberal Islamics in the United States and Europe, among many, many nations. Simply put, I think Iran has it right in its ability to meld civil religion with civil society, it just has the wrong religion, and that religion is itself dangerous to us.

We must understand that, even though Islam is a religion of Abraham and monotheism, it is the natural enemy of Catholicism, due especially to its iconoclastic principles, anti-Western character, its perception of us as polytheists, its blasphemies regarding the nature of Jesus Christ, and, especially, the fact that we are both evangelizing religions (though they have more recourse to violence).

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Oct 31 2005, 08:45 AM']
We must understand that, even though Islam is a religion of Abraham and monotheism, it is the natural enemy of Catholicism,
[right][snapback]774726[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

holy flarking shnizit, Batman!

[quote][b]Pope condemns anti-Israel statements, increased Holy Land violence[/b]
[font="Courier"]Vatican City, Oct. 31, 2005 (CNA) - On Saturday, Pope Benedict expressed his personal condemnation of recent anti-Israeli statements, and called on the international community to show its solidarity against increased violence in the Holy Land.

The Holy Father’s declaration was made public over the weekend by Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro Valls.

In it, the Pope said that "The serious events in the Holy Land over the last few days are a cause of grave concern to the Holy See which, uniting itself with the entire international community, expresses its own firm condemnation of acts of violence - the terrorist attack on Hadera and the subsequent retaliation - from whichever side they come, and of certain particularly serious and unacceptable declarations denying the right of existence to the State of Israel.”

Last week, Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claimed to speak for his entire nation when he commented that Israel should be “wiped off the map.”

"On this occasion,”, the Pope said, “the Holy See reaffirms the right of both Israelis and Palestinians to live in peace and security, each in their own sovereign State.”

"At the same time,” the Pope continued, “the Holy See feels the duty to renew its appeal to the leaders of all the peoples of the Middle East, to listen to the longing for peace and justice that rises from the population…”

He also called on them the leaders “to avoid actions and decisions leading to division and death, and to commit themselves with courage and determination to creating the minimum conditions necessary for dialogue to resume, which is the only way to guarantee a future of peace and prosperity to the children of that land."[/font][/quote]
[url="http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=5287"]ARTICLE[/url]

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:41 AM']The comment was not about Mohammed. It was about Iran.

Catch my drift?
[right][snapback]774689[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ok - supposing a terrorist leader of a country calls out to radical Islamic all peoples to burn Israel to the ground --- and people would say "hey, i thought Islam was founded on peace, not convert-or-die tactics... these people dont speak for Islam"
oh wait - Islam WAS founded on a "convert-by-the-sword" thought... so

Catch [i]my[/i] drift?
i guess these guys are not contradicting thier Islamic foundations ... and maybe they do speak for Islam..
after all ---- we have yet to hear a loud out-cry from all the other "leaders of Islam" against killing so-called "infidels"