An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Mary have sinned?

scardella

Could Mary have sinned?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Damiano' date='09 March 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1268177435' post='2069839']
***I cannot read gibberish.

Damiano
[/quote]

It greatly saddens me that someone who claims to be a "Biblical Christian" cannot tell the difference between ancient Greek, the language in which the entire New Testament (save Matthew) was written, and gibberish.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 March 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1268177697' post='2069846']
It greatly saddens me that someone who claims to be a "Biblical Christian" cannot tell the difference between ancient Greek, the language in which the entire New Testament (save Matthew) was written, and gibberish.
[/quote]
Precisely what I was thinking. Even if he could tell the difference, what "Bible Christian" disrespects the languages of the Scriptures that much?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 March 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1268177129' post='2069831']
Ni means two. We should be saying san instead. More Trinitarian.
[/quote]
I'm not speaking Japanese.

Yeah. I didn't have to look that up to know what you were talking about.

I'm just that cool. :smokey:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Raphael' date='09 March 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1268180878' post='2069878']
I'm not speaking Japanese.

Yeah. I didn't have to look that up to know what you were talking about.

I'm just that cool. :smokey:
[/quote]
Very awesome. :)

Although I had a thought at a moment when I didn't have a computer handy- we could say ni to refer to the two sources of revelation, being Tradition and Scripture, both of which are to be equally venerated.

So for now it shall stand.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='09 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1268169916' post='2069742']
So scripture forbids theological developments? Where?
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

[quote]***I cannot read gibberish.[/quote]

Perhaps you need to expand your vocabulary, then :)

Apotheoun

[quote name='Selah' date='04 May 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1273013223' post='2105072']
Perhaps you need to expand your vocabulary, then :)
[/quote]
Damiano may not be able to read gibberish, but he certainly can write gibberish. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Mary Magdalen did. other Mary saints have. but the Blessed Virgin mother Mary never sinned, she would not, could not. isn't it beautiful that God made Mary so special, so that she would be capable of perfectly raising the Baby Jesus? God is all-powerful, He fashioned the oceans, the sky, and every living creature. surely He is able to create Mary however He likes, and it pleases Him to make her as perfect as humanly possible so that she could fulfill the honored role of being the sacred vessel and caregiver to the Child Jesus.

the fact of her Immaculate Conception is dogma:

CCC 491 "Through the centuries the Church has become ever more aware that Mary, "full of grace" through God,134 was redeemed from the moment of her conception. That is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception confesses, as Pope Pius IX proclaimed in 1854:
The most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin.135
CCC 492 The "splendor of an entirely unique holiness" by which Mary is "enriched from the first instant of her conception" comes wholly from Christ: she is "redeemed, in a more exalted fashion, by reason of the merits of her Son".136 The Father blessed Mary more than any other created person "in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places" and chose her "in Christ before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless before him in love".137
CCC 493 The Fathers of the Eastern tradition call the Mother of God "the All-Holy" (Panagia), and celebrate her as "free from any stain of sin, as though fashioned by the Holy Spirit and formed as a new creature".138 By the grace of God Mary remained free of every personal sin her whole life long."
(Catechism of the Catholic Church. http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p122a3p2.htm#491)

so we can be certain that she was conceived without sin. even if it's complex and mysterious to comprehend, we can trust the Church's teaching. if we're having difficulty believing the dogma, we should pray the Act of Faith because it says: "I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived."

it's hard to imagine life without sinning, because all of us are sinners. even after our original sin has been washed away by Baptism, we still were born with it, so we're inclined towards sin. but Mary had no original sin to begin with, she was preserved by God's grace. therefore it was natural for her to not be inclined to sin like the rest of us. but her life was hidden, so she didn't make others feel like she was trying to be "holier than thou" to make them feel worse. i bet her family, neighbors, and friends all felt blessed whenever they came into contact with her. and we shouldn't feel jealous that God favored her with this special priviledge... we ought to honor her, and ask for her help to live a holy life like she did.

whenever i feel sad about being a sinner, i think of Mother Mary, and her sinlessness comforts me, because she can show me The Way. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Mary is our life, our sweetness, and our hope. (As stated in the prayer Hail Holy Queen). for an increase in graces to honor Mary, we can pray: "O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee." we can also pray, "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, amen."

Edited by Michele

Adam and Eve were created without any inclination to sin, which is why they were able not to sin, but clearly it was not impossible for them to sin, and the same is true of the Holy Theotokos, for - as I said in an earlier post - she, by cooperating with the graces she received, was able not to sin, but was not unable to sin.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='zunshynn' date='15 May 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1273946187' post='2111125']
How cute!
[/quote]
I have not seen anything cute in this thread up to this point, but if you want to see something cute . . . .

THIS IS CUTE!

[img]http://kyecha.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/another_cute_bunny_by_m2pg.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 May 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1273945760' post='2111122']
Adam and Eve were created without any inclination to sin, which is why they were able not to sin, but clearly it was not impossible for them to sin, and the same is true of the Holy Theotokos, for - as I said in an earlier post - she, by cooperating with the graces she received, was able not to sin, but was not unable to sin.
[/quote]

Adam and Eve were created with free will, and it was Eve's fault that they originated sin. They didn't know what sin was until they disobed God and entered into the knowledge of good and evil. Then they were able to sin and they passed on original sin to all their descendants. But Mary is the NEW Eve - before the Redeemer came into the world through his beloved co-redemptrix: Mary Immaculate, the Blessed Theotokos, He preserved her from original sin at the moment of her conception: "O Mary conceived without sin..." Without ever having the stain of original sin, it was not within her power to ever sin, nor did she have any desire to sin. Since she was pre-redeemed from original sin and immune to comitting actual sins, she had no concupisence like the rest of us. She was both able not to sin, and unable to sin. Being totally full of grace, and cooperating with this fullness of grace, she had no room for sinful thoughts, words, or actions. Other mothers make mistakes of their own fault from their sinfulness, not that God doesn't love all the rest of the little children, but the Blessed Mother needed to be the best mother in the world in order to be the Mother of God... there was no room for errors in the upbringing of the Child Jesus - it was such a glorious responsibility that God endowed her with the perfect ability to love - in order to conceive by the Holy Spirit and Give birth to God who is Love, Mary had to be all Love. So God is Love, and Mary is the beautiful Mother of Love. The single most magnificent creature God ever made... This is why she was able to be assumed into heaven body and soul, because of her immaculateness. It is a good thing to continue contemplating the mysteries of her life and the glories of Mary, because it is impossible to praise and honor her enough. It may seem natural to accept that Jesus himself was sinless, having no original sin, and no personal sins. Although he was attacked by temptations in the desert, he did not wish to give into the temptations. Therefore it may be logical to think of it that way - that although Mary may have had the temptations of the world around her, she was innocent of any cooperation with the temptations. Plus, she was well taken care of by holy people her whole life - by St. Anne and Joachim, then by St. Joseph and the grown Jesus, then by St. John. She didn't sin with any of them. The immaculate conception of Mary, and the virginal conception of Jesus - are totally sin-free. While other people are in need of repentance, Mary is able to help us repent, not that she knew all about repentance from personal experience, but because she suffered as an innocent bystander when her Son died on the Cross...she suffered WITH the Redeemer (so she is co-Redemptrix)... as the mystery of the Presentation in the Temple's prophecy that her Immaculate Heart would suffer in this way... and she was an eyewitness to the original sight of the Divine Mercy image but in its bloody crucified form... "O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus, as a fount of Mercy for us..." (this was way before St. Faustina's painter's cleaned it up like in her vision...)therefore, "Mary, then, is the one who has the deepest knowledge of the mystery of God's mercy. She knows its price, she knows how great it is" (Dives in Misericordia, 9). So Mary is able to be the Mediatrix of all Graces because she is full of grace and capable of distributing them from her Merciful Son.

Edited by Michele