An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone help me

missionseeker

missionseeker

I'm a beginner and the book (Wheelocks)doesn't have all the answers to the chapter exercises. So I was wondering if someone could tell me the answers so I know if I got them right. Is there anyone who can?

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Oct 28 2005, 12:16 AM']I'm a beginner and the book (Wheelocks)doesn't have all the answers to the chapter exercises. So I was wondering if someone could tell me the answers so I know if I got them right. Is there anyone who can?
[right][snapback]772614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ut est impono. Ut est non mediocris ut vestri bulla.

missionseeker

[quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 28 2005, 12:41 AM']Ut est impono.  Ut est non mediocris ut vestri bulla.
[right][snapback]772635[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Gee. That's a lot of help. Is that a yes? Impono is not in the dictionary it gives.

unless they're doing the study on their own time...

At first, I thought they were asking for cheats, but then hypothesized that it was something they were doing for their own betterment, rather than for school.

Thy Geekdom Come

Cam, I don't mean to insult you, but that's really, really bad Latin you just used right there.

Ut is a "that" (think: "so that" instead of just "that") in the sense of introducing a clause, not a demonstrative, among other things.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]That is cheating. That is not fair for your studies.[/quote]

Illud est fraudare. Illud non iustum est studiis.

Thy Geekdom Come

By the way, I don't think that it's cheating to check your answers after you've written them. That's essentially the same as having a tutor look over your work before class and explaining what's right and wrong.

However, I do not own Wheelock's and do not have the answers.

argent_paladin

Raphael,
Refresh my memory. Isn't an ut...ut... clause usually translated as "If.... then..." that is, as a subjunctive clause?

And I agree that checking your answers is not cheating. It is in fact the only way to learn. However, there are many online resources you can use and check your answers. Also, you can just use the sentences that are translated in wheelock.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:44 AM']Raphael,
Refresh my memory. Isn't an ut...ut... clause usually translated as "If.... then..." that is, as a subjunctive clause?
[right][snapback]772843[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Possibly. I'm afraid I'm not sure and I don't have the money for an exhaustive dictionary.

missionseeker

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 28 2005, 01:47 AM']unless they're doing the study on their own time...

At first, I thought they were asking for cheats, but then hypothesized that it was something they were doing for their own betterment, rather than for school.
[right][snapback]772669[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am homeschooled. It is school but no one in my family knows Latin. So fat lot of help they are.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:25 AM']By the way, I don't think that it's cheating to check your answers after you've written them.  That's essentially the same as having a tutor look over your work before class and explaining what's right and wrong.

However, I do not own Wheelock's and do not have the answers.
[right][snapback]772819[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

All I want is to check my answers; they are written down I just don't know if they are correct.

Maybe I did word that wrong.

Cam42, If you think that I'll be tempted to cheat or am cheating, I'll post what answers I have even if it makes me look like an idiot. I just need some help.

"Help! Help! This is a serious call for help!"

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 28 2005, 10:22 AM']Illud est fraudare.  Illud non iustum est studiis.
[right][snapback]772813[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

fraudare?