An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone help me

missionseeker

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:10 AM']Cam, I don't mean to insult you, but that's really, really bad Latin you just used right there.

Ut is a "that" (think: "so that" instead of just "that") in the sense of introducing a clause, not a demonstrative, among other things.
[right][snapback]772799[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was proving a point...thanks for picking up on that.....I was trying not to speak in sentences, but in clauses.....

Thanks for the call out though.....someone was paying attention. :ninja:

missionseeker

O.k
I'm really not sure of any of my answers.

1) Labor me vocat. I have Labor(work) calls me.

2)Mone me, si erro. Advise(or is it warn?) me if I err.

3)festina lente. I hasten slowly? I slowly hasten?

4) Laudas me; culpant me.

5)Saepe peccamus we sin often.

6)Quid debemus cogitare? I didn't answer this one. I know it has something to do thinking what we owe or ought or something but I couldn't figure out what they were saying. I don't consider this cheating so much as getting the answer wrong.

7) Conservate me! Save me! or Protect me!

8)Rumor volat. Gossip flies.

9)Me non amat. He(she, it) does not love me.

10)Nihil me terret. Nothing scares me.

11)Apollo ne servat. Apollo gaurds me.? Apollo protects me.?

12) Quid videtis? Nihil videmus. What do you(pl) see? We see nothing.

13)Saepe nihil cogitas. You often think nothing, ??

14)Bi das, si cito das. ????XXXX

15)Si vales, vale. If you are well...strogn.. goodbye? That one sounds wrong.

16)What does he see? Qiud videt?

17)They are giving nothing. XX

18 You ought not to praise me. Me debere non luadat.

19)If I err, he often warns me. Si erro,me saepe monet.

20)If you love me save me. Si me amas, me conservas.

I'm not quite done w/ Ch. 2 Sententiae Antiquae.

missionseeker

Thought I typed my #4 answer.

You praise me; they blame me.

Sorry.

Edited by missionseeker

O.k
I'm really not sure of any of my answers.

1) Labor me vocat. I have Labor(work) calls me.
[color=red]What is there to say I have in this sentence?[/color]
2)Mone me, si erro. Advise(or is it warn?) me if I err.
[color=red]This is good.[/color]
3)festina lente. I hasten slowly? I slowly hasten?
[color=red]The verb here is festina, which you translated correctly. However, if you look back a couple pages, I think you'll find this is an imperative (command)[/color]
4) Laudas me; culpant me.
[color=red]I dunno if you forgot this one, but I think you can do it. :)[/color]
5)Saepe peccamus we sin often.
[color=red]Yeppers[/color]
6)Quid debemus cogitare? I didn't answer this one. I know it has something to do thinking what we owe or ought or something but I couldn't figure out what they were saying. I don't consider this cheating so much as getting the answer wrong.
[color=red]When you have two verbs, and one is an infinitive, then you can read it pretty much straight. For example, Qui potest volare? Who is able to fly? (potest=he is able to)[/color]
7) Conservate me! Save me! or Protect me!
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
8)Rumor volat. Gossip flies.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
9)Me non amat. He(she, it) does not love me.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
10)Nihil me terret. Nothing scares me.
[color=red]Nothing terrifies me, but I think you're correct to use scare.[/color]
11)Apollo ne servat. Apollo gaurds me.? Apollo protects me.?
[color=red]That works. I would use save, but protects is probably best.[/color]
12) Quid videtis? Nihil videmus. What do you(pl) see? We see nothing.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
13)Saepe nihil cogitas. You often think nothing, ??
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
14)Bi das, si cito das. ????XXXX
[color=red]What does das mean? Bi means twice (I think it's in the note). What does si mean? And cito means quickly, which is also in the notes.[/color]
15)Si vales, vale. If you are well...strogn.. goodbye? That one sounds wrong.
[color=red]If you are well, the last word is valeo, which you can translate.[/color]
16)What does he see? Qiud videt?
[color=red]That sounds right.[/color]
[color=red]Think of this as They give nothing. I think you know how to say "they give" and as you've seen before, nihil is nothing. Also, you do not need a pronoun, which I thin you know. Therefore, put the nihil first...it's more correct. :)[/color]
18 You ought not to praise me. Me debere non luadat.
[color=red]In this case, you should translate debere and leave laudare in the infinitive. If you look at the English, to praise me is infinitive, which is the same in Latin.[/color]
19)If I err, he often warns me. Si erro,me saepe monet.
[color=red]This sounds good.[/color]
20)If you love me save me. Si me amas, me conservas.
[color=red]Here, make sure you put conservare in the infinitive.[/color]I'm not quite done w/ Ch. 2 Sententiae Antiquae.[color=red]Sententiae Antiquae are the only good ones anyways. ;)[/color]

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:42 PM']Thought I typed my #4 answer.

You praise me; they blame me.

Sorry.
[right][snapback]773299[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yep. :)

missionseeker

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Oct 29 2005, 12:52 AM']

[color=red]When you have two verbs, and one is an infinitive, then you can read it pretty much straight.  For example, Qui potest volare?  Who is able to fly? (potest=he is able to)[/color]

So this would be What ought we think?

714)Bi das, si cito das.  ????XXXX
[color=red]What does das mean?  Bi means twice (I think it's in the note).  What does si mean?  And cito means quickly, which is also in the notes.[/color]

You give twice,if you give quickly??

[color=red]Think of this as They give nothing.  I think you know how to say "they give" and as you've seen before, nihil is nothing.  Also, you do not need a pronoun, which I thin you know.  Therefore, put the nihil first...it's more correct.  :)[/color]

18 You ought not to praise me.  Me debere non luadat.
[color=red]In this case, you should translate debere and leave laudare in the infinitive.  If you look at the English, to praise me is infinitive, which is the same in Latin.[/color]

20)If you love me save me.  Si me amas, me conservas.
[color=red]Here, make sure you put conservare in the infinitive.[/color]I'm not quite done w/ Ch. 2 Sententiae Antiquae.[color=red]Sententiae Antiquae are the only good ones anyways.  ;)[/color]
[right][snapback]773306[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Will remember.
Thanks so much!

missionseeker

I forgot the little paragraph.

Maecenas et Vergillius me hodie vocant. Quid cogitare debeo? Quid debeo respondere? Si erro, me seape monent et culpant; si non erro, me laudant. Quid cogitatare debeo?

Maecenas and Virgil call me today. What ought I think? What ought I reply? If I err, they often warn and blame me;(or would it be warn and blame me often?)if I do not err, they praise me. What ought I think today?