An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Letter I'm Sending Ebay

willguy

I found out on this site a while back that people are using eBay to sell saint relics. This highly pissed me off, and I finally decided to do something about it, so I'm sending them this letter. Feel free to do the same, the eBay HQ address is at the top of the letter.

eBay Inc.

2145 Hamilton Avenue

San Jose, California 95125

<my name and address withheld>

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to report a serious concern that I have with some of the items sold on eBay. A simple search has revealed that some people are using eBay to sell saint relics. As a devout Catholic, this shocks and offends me deeply.

Relics, a practice in the Catholic Church from the beginning, are called first-, second- or third-class relics. Relics from all three classes can be found for sale on eBay. First-class relics are pieces of bone from saints, a direct violation of eBay’s ban on selling human parts and remains. Second-class relics are items or pieces of items that the saint wore and, in cases of martyrs, the instruments of death. These items are artifacts, and though not directly listed as prohibited on eBay should be, in my opinion. Third-class relics are items, usually pieces of cloth or medals, touched to first-class relics or brought to a shrine or site of an apparition.

In addition to the legal restrictions that possibly exist against the selling of these relics, there is a religious concern. The Catholic Church forbids the selling of first- and second-class relics. The relics being sold on eBay often go for prices at which it is obvious that the seller is making a profit off of these items, a sin known as simony. In addition, it is highly questionable how the people selling these relics came into possession of them.

I understand that eBay is not required to monitor the morality of the items being sold, and in the end it is the seller and buyer who choose what items are sold and for what price. However, I would like to ask that eBay please at least consider policing this item. If nothing else, please look into the sale of first-class relics, which is expressly prohibited for sale on eBay.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

<name withheld>

Let's check out the prices... if we can't get Ebay to take them off then we can put our money together and buy the stuff and send it to some parish or the Vatican (maybe a lil 2 far)

Seatbelt Blue

Ebay can't touch the prices, unfortunately. But it would be a good charitable act to pool our resources and ransom, at least, one of the cheaper ones.

Some of them look pretty official (not to say that they necesarily are, but I can't imagine someone going through that much trouble when there'd have to be easier ways to get $$$). My question is, if we buy them, we are participating in simony and breaking church law (it is illegal to buy/sell first- & second- class relics). Is that excusable given the motive? Where's Fr. Pontifex when you need 'im?

Seatbelt Blue

Some of them look pretty official (not to say that they necesarily are, but I can't imagine someone going through that much trouble when there'd have to be easier ways to get $$$).  My question is, if we buy them, we are participating in simony and breaking church law (it is illegal to buy/sell first- & second- class relics).  Is that excusable given the motive?  Where's Fr. Pontifex when you need 'im?

Ive actually asked that question to a priest before on another message board; if we purchase them with the intention of giving them back to the Church we are RANSOMING them, rather than BUYING them.

Where's Fr. Pontifex when you need 'im?

I am sure this is a scam... so I say we bombard these hooks with many e-mails.

Filthy humans.

Fr. Pontifex, what is you opinion?