An Old School Catholic Message Board

Zombies

ardillacid

Is it morally permisible to kill someone who has been bitten by a zombie before they turn into one?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What are the ethics of making a zombie vaccine? I supposed zombies could be kept in confinement for scientific reasons as long as they are cared for properly. But what would they do for food? Could they survive on monkey or other animals' brains? What if you grew brain tissue in vivo? I suppose if you run the human vaccine trial on consenting adults who clearly understood the risks, it wouldn't be wrong.

I'm wondering if the Zombie survival handbook covers these topics. :P:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Nov 10 2005, 08:52 PM']What are the ethics of making a zombie vaccine? I supposed zombies could be kept in confinement for scientific reasons as long as they are cared for properly. But what would they do for food? Could they survive on monkey or other animals' brains? What if you grew brain tissue in vivo? I suppose if you run the human vaccine trial on consenting adults who clearly understood the risks, it wouldn't be wrong.

I'm wondering if the Zombie survival handbook covers these topics.  :P:
[right][snapback]785292[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm sure they could come up with a low calorie imitation brain with splenda or something. kind of a gross subject though.. :blink:

Laudate_Dominum

But seriously, the solution to the zombie threat is Jedi Squirrels!

[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/fangorn35/ls6om.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Nov 10 2005, 08:33 PM']phasers on maximum.
[right][snapback]785268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh good, I feel much safer now!

StatingTheObvious

armadilloonacid, there's a big difference between killing zombies and potential zombies. zombies are already dead. potential zombies aren't. haven't you ever seen monty python? 'i'm not dead yet.' 'shut up, you will be soon' it's polite to wait until they are completely dead then cut off the head.

If a zombie is trying to kill me, I would kill it. Its instinct. Fight or flight, kill or be killed. Besides, would you honestly want to be a zombie? It would be agony.

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Nov 11 2005, 07:10 AM']armadilloonacid, there's a big difference between killing zombies and potential zombies.  zombies are already dead.  potential zombies aren't.  haven't you ever seen monty python?  'i'm not dead yet.'  'shut up, you will be soon'  it's polite to wait until they are completely dead then cut off the head.
[right][snapback]785610[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ok theoretical situation for you mr obviousman: You are stuck in a house alone with your friend who was just bitten by a zombie and fading fast. The only weapon you have is a small knife. You either: A: Kill him now by putting the knife through his head, or: B: wait till he is a zombie attempting to rip your throat open.

Could you kill a zombie one-on-one with a small knife? Or would you (probably) die because you refused to kill him before he was a zombie?

[quote name='Ken' date='Nov 12 2005, 01:20 AM']If a zombie is trying to kill me, I would kill it. Its instinct. Fight or flight, kill or be killed. Besides, would you honestly want to be a zombie? It would be agony.
[right][snapback]786256[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi ken, actually i meant [i]before[/i] he turned into a zombie :)

My response still stands. I have seen many zombie films, and the biggest mistake any of the groups make, is keeping one of the infected. When one is infected, it is a death sentence for them, and a hazard to those around them. Would I kill them? Myabe. Its difficult to say what our responses would be in that situation, but its one of those "whats best for the many" moments. Its all survival.

Shaun Of The Dead, Day Of The Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, Return Of The Living Dead (1 through 4), those movies all had higher body counts because they chose to not kill the infected.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='dicallidra' date='Nov 12 2005, 03:40 AM']ok theoretical situation for you mr obviousman: You are stuck in a house alone with your friend who was just bitten by a zombie and fading fast. The only weapon you have is a small knife. You either: A: Kill him now by putting the knife through his head, or: B: wait till he is a zombie attempting to rip your throat open.

Could you  kill a zombie one-on-one with a small knife? Or would you (probably)  die because you refused to kill him before he was a zombie?
Hi ken, actually i meant [i]before[/i] he turned into a zombie :)
[right][snapback]786305[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]hmmm. good question. first, you are assuming i have personal morals. i'm not admitting that. i personally would just try to do the polite thing, not the moral thing. if you wait until they're dead, there's less blood and mess. haven't you seen 'dawn of the dead', the true docuementary on this fenomenon? i'll answer as if i had your morals.
You could pre-position their head as if you are comforting them. also, use their belt to tie their hands. as the zompie-ize, you can then conveniently chip off their head with the small knife. you probably would have to flip them on their stomach so you can kneel on them and work on them from behind so you can cut the spinal cord first.

dicallidra, I know what I'm buying you for christmas!!

[url="http://www.zombiesurvivalguide.com"]http://www.zombiesurvivalguide.com[/url]

Obviously it is morally wrong to kill a non-zombie, even if they are infected. The proper thing to do is establish a procedure whereby the soon to be decedant is properly restrained prior to death. This could be achieved with a minimal loss of dignity and would maximize ability to dispatch the zombie immediately after the condition took hold.

If you have nothing but a small knife, you are not going to live. In that situation, you must find a club or other such implement to have a snowflake's chance of getting away.

Now, we must establish what type of zombie we are dealing with. Night of the Living Dead is a different zombie than Dawn of the Dead (new one). Fast zombies are scary.

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Nov 12 2005, 07:30 AM']hmmm.  good question.  first, you are assuming i have personal morals.  i'm not admitting that.  i personally would just try to do the polite thing, not the moral thing.  if you wait until they're dead, there's less blood and mess.  haven't you seen 'dawn of the dead', the true docuementary on this fenomenon?  i'll answer as if i had your morals.
You could pre-position their head as if you are comforting them.  also, use their belt to tie their hands.  as the zompie-ize, you can then conveniently chip off their head with the small knife.  you probably would have to flip them on their stomach so you can kneel on them and work on them from behind so you can cut the spinal cord first.
[right][snapback]786317[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

firstly, everyone has a set of morals. Some are just lower than others. also you assume i would [i]not[/i] kill a person before they became zombie. nowhere have i stated this, i havent even voted.

secondly, you are assuming you have lots of time and tools to tie this person down. what are the odds of the situation being perfect like this?

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 13 2005, 10:37 PM']Obviously it is morally wrong to kill a non-zombie, even if they are infected.  The proper thing to do is establish a procedure whereby the soon to be decedant is properly restrained prior to death.  This could be achieved with a minimal loss of dignity and would maximize ability to dispatch the zombie immediately after the condition took hold.

If you have nothing but a small knife, you are not going to live.  In that situation, you must find a club or other such implement to have a snowflake's chance of getting away. 

Now, we must establish what type of zombie we are dealing with.  Night of the Living Dead is a different zombie than Dawn of the Dead (new one).  Fast zombies are scary.
[right][snapback]787717[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I apologize for the confusion. the zombie flick i was thinking of was the new dawn of the dead.

In reply to your post, why is it wrong? In a matter of minutes they will be attempting to take your life. These people have already been given their life sentence, is it wrong to take their life to save yours?

If after a bite, it was certain that the person would be a zombie yeah, I'd kill 'em. Part of being a zombie, classically, is being undead. So really the person would be dead, so killing it wouldn't be killing a person. They say this in various zombie movies when it gets down to killing a family member or friend. They reiterate that their loved one isn't there anymore, it's just a hungry zombie. Just saying. And if there were zombies and my dead was imminent, I'd shoot myself in the head so I couldn't rise up. But that's a whole nother debate.