An Old School Catholic Message Board

*blink*

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Nov 12 2005, 03:34 PM']Umm... actually, Gabriel is right

In discussing the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, the Church says that she was virgin before, during, and after the birth of Jesus. What Gabriel is refering to is virginity during the birth. Of course this doesn't mean that she had a c-section, but that her virginity, including the physical manisfestations thereof, was not affected or diminished in the birth.

[url="http://www.cuf.org/Faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffID=102"]Here's[/url] one thing from the reference section that discusses it:
[right][snapback]786499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That would require the definition of virginity to include that the womb is unopened, which I have never heard. So, it remains...how do we know that this is what the Church meant by virginity?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 12 2005, 03:38 PM']Like light through glass...
[right][snapback]786506[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, but I never understood that to be a matter of doctrine over theological opinion.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 12 2005, 02:41 PM']?
[right][snapback]786512[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:idontknow: I heard it explained that way.... but having given birth to three babies, I'd like to know exactly how that happens...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 12 2005, 03:45 PM']:idontknow: I heard it explained that way.... but having given birth to three babies, I'd like to know exactly how that happens...
[right][snapback]786517[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't know...maybe it's like in your avatar. :lol:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 12 2005, 03:52 PM']:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Now I have to change it.

You did that on purpose, didn't you?
[right][snapback]786525[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

No, I just saw your post and looked over to find the baby in the sun there! :lol:

Thy Geekdom Come

I don't have any problem if this is the case, I just want to know where the defined doctrines of the Church specifically address it.

Having never understood birth as a violation of virginity, it doesn't make any sense to me that this is the necessary understanding either of the Scriptures or of the Mary Ever-Virgin doctrine (since birth, in my understanding, doesn't violate virginity).

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 12 2005, 02:58 PM']:lol_roll:  :lol_roll:  :lol_roll:

No, I just saw your post and looked over to find the baby in the sun there! :lol:
[right][snapback]786532[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That baby scares me...:unsure: :ninja:

I would also like to point out that the Fathers see a link between Christ entering the upper room where the apostles were hiding through a closed door and Christ entering the world through an undefiled womb.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Nov 12 2005, 04:32 PM']I would also like to point out that the Fathers see a link between Christ entering the upper room where the apostles were hiding through a closed door and Christ entering the world through an undefiled womb.
[right][snapback]786571[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Beautiful, but if someone would just provide me with the doctrinal definition, I'd be content.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 12 2005, 02:10 PM']I don't demand proof from everyone like you do.
[right][snapback]786428[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:huh: What's this mean? I'm just sayin, unless someone has magisterial authority, you shouldn't accept or reject something as true just based on the reputation of the person who said it...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Nov 12 2005, 04:52 PM']:huh: What's this mean?  I'm just sayin, unless someone has magisterial authority, you shouldn't accept or reject something as true just based on the reputation of the person who said it...
[right][snapback]786587[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree...but it seemed to me like you were saying that I should have taken him to task on it.