An Old School Catholic Message Board

CARMELITE DCJ

Sixtina87

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' date='Dec 29 2005, 12:33 PM']Ohhh I love Carmel! I only looked at Carmelites, and knew it was where I was supposed to be (for now at least, still discerning). What were some of the secular/third/lay orders like? Why did you choose Carmelite?
[right][snapback]838748[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

As I said, it was a long while of discernment for me. Keep in mind that I am wife and mother too!

I was allowed to attend meetings of the Third Order Dominicans and the Franciscans. Each community is unique in itself. I can't say all Dominican communities are a copy carbon of each other nor is Franciscan or Carmelites. Each have unique personalities that make up the community. However, I believe that each Order has rules or constitutions of how Third/Lay/Secular Orders are to conduct themselves. Secular Carmelites have constitutions. I spent alot of time with the Dominican community and they were very studious and committed to each other and their apostolate. The Franciscan community I visited only once. They were welcoming and very much in love with the Franciscan spirituality, but I knew the Franciscan way was not what I was called to.

Time passed and I continued with life and my vocation as wife and mother. Then, a few years later, I was introduced to the Secular Carmelites, when a community was forming in my area. I was familiar with the saints and the vocation of the nuns, but not sure how lay people fit in. I visited and eventually I asked admittance.

The thing is, I did not choose the Carmelites, God chose me for it. Despite the bumps and moments of interior struggle, God made sure I didn't stray far. You asked me why I am a Secular Carmelite.
There is so much beauty in Carmel! My heart has not been so content anywhere else. Our Holy Mother Saint Teresa was, at various moments in her life, weak, doggedly determined, frail in body, holy, and totally human. Her conversion at age 40 is something I strongly identify with [as a woman in my 40's] :D: But this goes so much deeper than my words can manage.

Most of all, becoming a hidden prayer in the heart of The Church--for The Church---is a glorious vocation. There is no doubt that I could strive towards this without being a Secular Carmelite --but God has slowly lured me to the quiet of the desert; so that I might be wrapped in silence to let myself be still and listen. Take note when I say "hidden" I do not mean being physically separated from the world. It does not mean that I am "Like a nun" I am a lay person who lives among people, with a family, and years of marriage.

I am very much a beginner. Think of me as someone just learning to read and write. So, take all I say here with that in mind. I have no doubt that a Secular Carmelite with more years and final promises, would have more wisdon than I do.
A Carmelite Friar who gives of his time and talent with my community said it the best. He said that one can do all the correct things---go to Mass, say the rosary, attend every meeting, etc...but that does not make one a Carmelite. I've kept that close. It is very much a vocation. As a wife and mother I also must keep that balance of vocations. I must never let my family be neglected. It is never one or the other. I live with them together.