An Old School Catholic Message Board

CARMELITE DCJ

Sixtina87

Okay okay, every vocaiton sotry has its up and downs, mine so happens to ahev alot of downs!!!! Sadly of course but we always hope for a better ending rather than one that can ruin relationships or what ever it may ruin. As some of you may know I absolutley LOVED my visit with the carmelites of teh divine heart of jesus. Actually i loved it too mucht ot the point i was crying when i left!!!!! but even though one vd says i'm too out going for the community, the other vd from the same community wants another opinion as well as another visit but to a different providence!!! well the one vd who wants another opinion aske dme to contact another sister to see when the best time si to visit, sadly after a couple fo weeks of waiting for an answer, she sent me this email that really really shocked and even upset me to a point that i was crying and too I'm sick so the combination doesnt help!!!!! below is the email that was sent o me by the one Sister who i had to contact to come see the community again!!!!

[color=red]Dear Nicole,

I have read your e-mail in which you have asked to come for a visit. Nicole, permission will not be given for a visit at this time because, as I understand, you had visited our Sisters in Kirkwood as well as other communities. May I suggest that you settle down to a good job, and work on your maturity. You don't really seem to know why you want to be a religious. This may be a disappointment to you Nicole, but I feel that you are not ready for religious life. Maybe you should take some classes in grammar; your writing is not very good -- many mistakes. I say this to you so that you can better yourself, prepare yourself for the future.

God bless you!

S.M.I.[/color]

I have decided to contact first thing tomorrow, a sister who is head household that i was in contact with yrs ago, and the vd who asked me to get a second opinion and see hern providence!!!! whats your input on this???

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

There is some truth to what she has said, dear. I know some of your typing could use a little rearranging at times. But, spelling isn't everything. Sister has been in the religious life for quite sometime and brings up some valid points. Why do you want to be a religious? How many communities have you visited? Sisters have a reputation for being quite blunt, but also being blunt to bring about a greater good. Sister has given some good advice. Take sometime at work/school and really apply yourself. I know this may seem heartwrenching now, but you will look back into the future, and be glad that you took this advice. I know that it is very tough to make it through rejection, even if it is just for a visit. If you need someone to talk to, I am here for you. :)

photosynthesis

oh no! That letter seems very harsh. I could see how this would be very upsetting, but take heart... The Holy Will of God shall be done no matter what! If He is calling you into this order, there is nothing stopping Him! But if He is calling you in another direction, then it is for the best. He has plans to give you a future and a hope, and if you follow His plan, then He will make you into a saint!

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:22 AM']oh no!  That letter seems very harsh.  I could see how this would be very upsetting, but take heart...  The Holy Will of God shall be done no matter what!  If He is calling you into this order, there is nothing stopping Him!  But if He is calling you in another direction, then it is for the best.  He has plans to give you a future and a hope, and if you follow His plan, then He will make you into a saint!
[right][snapback]786853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I thought it was harsh as well even after reading it over and over and over again!!! Its soooooooooo confuseing!!!! the vd is going to hit the floor when i talkt o her tomorrow!!!! She hit the floor when i told her the vd inS t. louis felt i was too out going for the community!!!!! Sister has a different idea than the vd in st. louis and I dont know how she will react to Sr. M. I.'s responce!!!!! thanks for the upbeat and wonderful comment!!!!

All For Jesus

Yes...Have trust in God. This can be a very hard thing at times, especially when we want to know what His will is for us. But we must try to remember to have patience. Just keep handing everything over to God.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:21 AM']There is some truth to what she has said, dear.  I know some of your typing could use a little rearranging at times.  But, spelling isn't everything.  Sister has been in the religious life for quite sometime and brings up some valid points.  Why do you want to be a religious?  How many communities have you visited?  Sisters have a reputation for being quite blunt, but also being blunt to bring about a greater good.  Sister has given some good advice.  Take sometime at work/school and really apply yourself.  I know this may seem heartwrenching now, but you will look back into the future, and be glad that you took this advice.  I know that it is very tough to make it through rejection, even if it is just for a visit.  If you need someone to talk to, I am here for you.  :)
[right][snapback]786852[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I desire, not want to be a religious becaus eof the fact that everything is done for Christ, the work, the prayer and the dedicaiton. I desire to give myself and all to him in such a deeper and specail way that no one else in my family can give or do!!!!!! i desire to live for HIM and IN HIM!!!!

I have only visited 5 communities, but more than that, 5 were ones i was able to visit and the rest were ones that i was staying at for retreats and events!!!! I visited the FSGM, the FSP, the Sister of Nazareth, the Carmelties anfd the OSF sisters in E. Peoria!!!!! only 2 i loved the most, the Sisters of Nazareth and the Carmelties!!!! Both are almos the same but slightly different!!!!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Nov 12 2005, 10:37 PM']I desire, not want to be a religious becaus eof the fact that everything is done for Christ, the work, the prayer and the dedicaiton. I desire to give myself and all to him in such a deeper and specail way that no one else in my family can give or do!!!!!! i desire to live for HIM and IN HIM!!!!

I have only visited 5 communities, but more than that, 5 were ones i was able to visit and the rest were ones that i was staying at for retreats and events!!!! I visited the FSGM, the FSP, the Sister of Nazareth, the Carmelties anfd the OSF sisters in E. Peoria!!!!! only 2 i loved the most, the Sisters of Nazareth and the Carmelties!!!! Both are almos the same but slightly different!!!!
[right][snapback]786865[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are a wonderful young lady enflamed with a deep love for Our Lord. You will learn many things and grow tremendously from all of this. I have heard many hurtful things about me and entering the religious life myself. I have been called immature about it as well. It did not come from a Sister, but from my mother. It really hurts, I know. Just know I am praying for you and if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. ;)

Nicole,

The letter may be harsh, but there is truth to what she said. Maybe right now is not the best time to pursue the Carmelites. I know it hurts, but if two different sisters from different provinces have said to pursue other interests, maybe you should consider heeding their advice. I'm not saying forget Carmel DCJ, but just give it a rest for the time being.

Have fun. Enjoy life. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Pax Christi,
Rachel

Edited by zabbazooey

daugher-of-Mary

my sister in Jesus,
Don't be hurt by it. It seems like vocation directresses must be absolutely blunt with every candidate for a couple of reasons...
1. So nobody enters with the allusion that it is going to be an easy life.
2. So that the girl gets a taste of what it will be like to submit humbly and obediently to whatever her superior or directress asks of her.
If she asks you to wait awhile, can you accept that with docility trusting that God knows what He is doing? It's not easy! I'm struggling with impatience myself! Formation begins now...let's do whatever possible to live like "brides" even while we remain in the world. Know of my little prayers for you, and please pray for me!

Dear Nicole,

I registered with phatmass just so I could speak to you :)
Trust me, not being computer saavy it was a bit of an adventure for me. Most of the time, I like to check in to enjoy the beautiful faith of so many young people.

I have read of your heartache and I am sorry for the hurt you feel. However, I do want you to listen to what the Vocation Directress is saying to you. You have many saints to look to for help and how they too were told to wait. Saint Therese waited, and even though she was just 15 when allowed to enter, her trials of waiting became one of a beautiful gift to God. Saint Edith Stein was told to wait a long while. She was 42 years old when she received the Carmelite habit. Our Holy Mother, Saint Teresa of Avila was 40 when she had her true conversion--and that was within the convents walls!

So you see, waiting is difficult, painful and TRUSTING. I know that is easier said than done.

I would urge you not to tell one vocation directress what another has done. You must remember, you will eventually live in community where charity, obedience and sacrifice is a daily experience. I know, as a married woman, people tend to ask, "What do you know about that?" As a mother and a wife, I have lived in my own "community" for many years. Sometimes the sacrifices demanded are joyful, sometimes it is a painful struggle. Each day brings the chance to "begin again"

Do what Sister asks of you. Work, maybe attend a college class or two [get tutoring on your grammar as she requested, even if you are not inclined to do so] and obey. Keep in touch with the Sister, but in a very, calm, thoughtful, and peaceful manner. May I suggest that when you do write, use spellcheck, do not use exclamation points so frequently and be obedient. Do not overwhelm her with multiple emails. Write a letter every two or three months and use snail mail.

Remember most of all, that you are loved very much by Our Lord. It took many years of struggle to truly begin my journey. Remember what I quoted to you in your blog? Become the hollowed-out reed, so that when the Holy Spirit blows through you, you will make beautiful music for God.

Lovingly ,
Mary-Kathryn

Nicole, accept this letter in two ways.

1) This was from the Heart of Jesus and it was He that called you to be humble and accept His Cross. The Nun was rough, and she could've put what she said more gently.

Don't appeal what this nun said, don't go to her superior. Realize that religious life isn't easy at all! It's a constant struggle. I was a seminarian for sometime, in a religious community, so I know first hand.

2) Don't "house hop". Communities don't appreciate that at all, and they will see you as unstable and unsure, not resigned to patience and the will of God but to unneeded and immature travel.

Be still and listen to Him! Remember that He manifested Himself in the quiet whisper, not the earthquake, etc. Perservere in regular prayer. Study a bit of grammar and perhaps take a typing course. Wait a little bit before contacting the Carmelites DCJ again, ok?

All of us on PM offer you our love and prayers.

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:41 PM']All of us on PM offer you our love and prayers.
[right][snapback]787303[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think this can be said enough times.

Edited by shortnun

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Nov 13 2005, 04:45 PM']Remeber: Everything is a Grace.  This is a Grace.  Take it as such and let it sanctify you.
[right][snapback]787308[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ditto.