An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shuffling off to Buffalo

passionheart

Hello,

I am asking for the prayers and for some words of experience from my fellow phatmassers here.

On Saturday, I will travel to Buffalo, NY and spend a week with the Dominican Nuns. So I will be there during American Thanksgiving although I doubt I will get any turkey. (I missed out on turkey for our Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October) so I guess I will have to wait till Christmas!!

I spoke to Sr. Rose Marie, the novice mistress, and I will meet the Council during my visit. I am not afraid but I am nervous about the meeting. It has been a long time since any order consider me as a possible vocation. The last time that happened I was in my early 20's.

I thought that after all these years, my vocation question was settled but everytime I am resolved that religious life was not my call, THE CALL would resurface itself. I didn't understand why because no doors would open for me. My friends these were very painful times.

Now at 43, a door to a life and to an order I would have never considered is opening and I am a little nervous. So my dear friends I am asking for prayers and I am asking for those of you who have met the Councils in your perpective orders could you tell me what it is like??

Thanks and God Bless.

DonnaMarie

[quote name='passionheart' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:09 PM']Hello,

I am asking for the prayers and for some words of experience from my fellow phatmassers here.

On Saturday, I will travel to Buffalo, NY and spend a week with the Dominican Nuns. So I will be there during American Thanksgiving although I doubt I will get any turkey. (I missed out on turkey for our Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October) so I guess I will have to wait till Christmas!!

I spoke to Sr. Rose Marie, the novice mistress, and I will meet the Council during my visit.  I am not afraid but I am nervous about the meeting.  It has been a long time since any order consider me as a possible vocation. The last time that happened I was in my early 20's. 

I thought that after all these years, my vocation question was settled but everytime I am resolved that religious life was not my call, THE CALL would resurface itself. I didn't understand why because no doors would open for me. My friends these were very painful times.

Now at 43, a door to a life and to an order I would have never considered is opening and I am a little nervous. So my dear friends I am asking for prayers and I am asking for those of you who have met the Councils in your perpective orders could you tell me what it is like??

Thanks and God Bless.
DonnaMarie
[right][snapback]789137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Be assured of my prayers....and I do believe you will eat TURKEY :P:

AlterDominicus

GOOOOOOOOOO DONNA GO DO YOUR VERY BEST REMEMBER WHO YOUR FIGHTING FOR ITS J-E-S-U-S!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!

All I have to give (as advice) Is, be open hearted and minded particularly if you happen to end up in adoration with the sisters, be open to love, humility, learning, faith, hope and advice of others -similarities and differences- Also be open to teaching and sharing, teaching new things to the sisters that you know or even to talk of your experiances of any sort.

And know my love and prayers go with you!

Our prayers go with you! Go with confidence in the Lord that he continues to inspire you and continues to open doors for you. And I bet you will be getting lots of turkey for thanksgiving! Above all, enjoy yourself and just be you!
alicemary
of course, we want details, details details when you get done shuffling!

[quote name='Rick777' date='Nov 15 2005, 12:34 AM']God Bless. Abandon yourself.
[right][snapback]789220[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My dear brother you are so right.

For many years I have been very angry with God because I felt I try so hard to please and serve Him but where was He??? Arrogantly, I felt I was doing all the work in this relationship.

Well, it took a total meltdown in my life to be see the truth and to finally see that God wanted to work powerfully in my life but I wouldn't let Him in.

This vocation walk has been a journey in learning how to surrender and abandon myself to God. This time I don't feel I am under any pressure with these good sisters. As well, for the first time I want to HEAR what the Lord is saying to me through these Sisters. So my dear brother I am taking your advice to heart.

My friends, your posts have touched my heart and have brought tears to my eyes. I have found my vocation walk very lonely in the past but now I feel supported and blessed by all. Thank you soo much.

May God bless you all for your generosity.

DonnaMarie

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Nov 15 2005, 09:40 PM']That's wonderful news!  Do they have a website?
[right][snapback]790593[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No I am afraid they don't have website per se. I came in contact with them through Sister Joseph Andrew of the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist.

Although, next year the Domincan Monasteries celebrate 800 yrs of the founding of the Domincan Monastery of Women at Prouilhe. If you want the general site of the all the monasteries here it is.

[url="http://www.op.org/usaopnuns/"]http://www.op.org/usaopnuns/[/url]

Cheers,

DM

I've been going through the same thing, when I was guided by a priest my call wasn't to the priesthood, I felt even a stronger call, and now even to a new community.

daugher-of-Mary

my sister in Christ,
Prayers go with you! I can't wait to hear how the visit goes. I was thinking today how our Lord imitated our brokeness through his passion and suffering..the Bridegroom becoming like His bride. Now we are called to become like Him, and it sounds like He has given you so many opportunities to suffer with Him through discernment. Proof of HIs love!!
I don't know if that makes any sense. lol.

God be with you! About meeting the Council, I can only offer what I experienced when meeting with the Council at Summit NJ. I met with the novice mistress, sub-piroress and some of the other sisters. They asked me a little about my background, my faith, why I was interested in the Dominican order, how long I had been discerning and what other communities I had looked at. They were all such sweethearts that I didn't feel nervous. I know it's cliche, but just be yourself! They want to know you and how you really are.

Good Luck and I hope you have a great time!

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' date='Nov 15 2005, 11:55 PM'] I know it's cliche, but just be yourself! They want to know you and how you really are.

Good Luck and I hope you have a great time!
[right][snapback]790843[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is the best possible advice anyone could give you. It is true of not only your situation but of life. God has a place uniquely prepared for YOU. And because you are UNIQUE you will only fit if you remain true to who you are.

Blessings upon you. I am excited for you.