An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marriage

daugher-of-Mary

daugher-of-Mary

My vocation prayer buddy mentioned having a little more talk about the sweet sacrament of marriage here at the vocation station. Let's do it! Thoughts? Reflections? Quotes from TOTB, or the married Saints? Post 'em here! :D:

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 19 2005, 08:51 PM']My vocation prayer buddy mentioned having a little more talk about the sweet sacrament of marriage here at the vocation station. Let's do it! Thoughts? Reflections? Quotes from TOTB, or the married Saints? Post 'em here!  :D:
[right][snapback]795428[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

THANK YOU FOR INTRODUCING THIS TOPIC.
You are right it is needed. My thoughts. Huh, Well, Hmm ?

One of the "changes" I have seen within the Church is the "acceptance" of marriage as a VOCATION.

When I was a little girl the unsaid message was that the religious life was a vocation and the preferred way to go and the married state was like a "step child." My parents felt like "second class citizens' at times because they were married and had children. I have my own feelings because of this.

I don't remember ANY talk of growing up to get married. It was always, okay who is going to be a priest or a nun? And the ones who didn't raise their hands were made to feel inadequate. Remember now we are talking about the 60's and the 70's.

Time for a little honesty here. Many priests and nuns helped to perpetuate the "myth." And even today I am sorry to say I have met some that this is still their mind set. I have also met some young men and women even now who feel as though marriage is 'second class."
I have spoken to a few who feel as though if they do not enter religious life their lives will have been a waste.

What they need to look at is WHAT DOES GOD WANT, it is not a question of informing God what your plans are and then expecting Him to "fall in line." He doesn't work like that. :topsy: We don't become saints by handing Him a job description of how to make us happy. To my mind it is utter INSANITY to think God is going to let you have your way.

If you are "desperate" to enter the religous life or to become married. You may achieve YOUR GOAL but trust me you aren't going to be happy and the people in your life will not be happy either. This is where "maturity" comes in. It is the ability to think of someone besides yourself.

Religious communities and future spouses don't want you if you are desperate. Desperate is not mature or "sacramental." I know my standards for a husband are VERY high and not changing any time soon.
Nope, not changing at all. :shock:

The reason I love this topic is because they will be able to learn what a beautiful and fulfilling (if you do it right) sacrament this is.

There seems to be some confusion that the religious life is without problems, a free ticket if you will to life's problems. There are many looking at Religious Lfie and not Married Life thinking they can hide. And vice versa. Marriage is a sacrament not a place to hide because you are afraid of "being lonely or not having someone, or dying alone."

I am old enough to where I have heard it all, from both sides.

This is where we get to "clear the air." It is nice to see that "marriage is making a comeback."

:clap: :marriage: :incense: :yahoo:

Edited by ofpheritup

Yes! :) I was pondering marriage a while ago as a friend said we must pray for holy couples. I really think this is so important! When we have beautiful holy couples, trying to daily do Gods Will, and putting Him first in their lives, wouldn't it just naturally fall onto the children? I think its so beautiful! This holy chain reaction. In fact, each holy couple has the potential to become a catalyst for change! By their example, their children, neighbours, fellow parishioners, would all be impacted by the way they live. I know an amazing couple in their 20's. They are majorly involved in the front line of the pro life cause in NZ. I'm not saying instantly, that their children will carry on with their work, because I think that for the majority of us, we had to find our faith as our own. (I certainly did, despite being a cradle Catholic.) But still, by their example, we can see how God can truly move and work through marriage. Afterall, marriage is a sacrament!!! He gives people the grace to daily live out their vocation. I think its a very special vocation, just as much as religious life :love: or the priesthood. :)

I do get the feeling that a lot of Catholics see the vocation to the priesthood (or nun... hood?) as more important than the vocation to married life. To be sure, a religious vocation is something very special, but it is certainly not more important -- it's not "better." People called to the married life should feel just as worthy and thrilled with their calling as priests and nuns. If you're called to the married life, be happy! Jump for joy! The Lord is calling you there for a reason, and it is because that is where your ultimate dreams are to be found.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 20 2005, 07:30 AM']....One of the "changes" I have seen within the Church is the "acceptance" of marriage as a VOCATION. 

When I was a little girl the unsaid message was that the religious life was a vocation and the preferred way to go and the married state was like a "step child." ....

I don't remember ANY talk of growing up to get married. It was always, okay who is going to be a priest or a nun? ....

It is nice to see that "marriage is making a comeback." [right][snapback]795660[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='memtherose' date='Nov 20 2005, 08:48 PM']Yes! :) ... I think its a very special vocation, just as much as religious life :love: or the priesthood. :) [right][snapback]796148[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='Nathan' date='Nov 20 2005, 09:20 PM']... A religious vocation is something very special, but it is certainly not more important -- it's not "better." People called to the married life should feel just as worthy and thrilled with their calling as priests and nuns. If you're called to the married life, be happy! Jump for joy! [right][snapback]796171[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am so HAPPY to hear that this is the growing majority's understanding of what it is to have a vocation. The "class division" b/w religious and married life is unnecessary. Praise be to God for our baptismal vocation- to be gospel witnesses in the world!

The more I continue to discern. The more I contine to adore Christ in the Blessed Sacrament, the more something tells me to discern marriage more. But a part of me just doesn't want to be married. I want to be a priest, that is where I think I'd be happiest. But that is what I want, and God must increase and I must decrease. And do what the Father's will is.

In HIM,

Eddie

Part of my discernment was looking at the beliefs I was raised with.
I had to sort thru my own "predjudice" of religious life versus married life.

In a sense I was "brainwashed" with one was better than the other.
I am still struggling with it.

I have to look at what does God want for me. I have come to the place where I realize that as much as I admire the religious life I would not succeed in it.

Honesty is ......... :unsure: :topsy: :o

franciscanheart

a very good friend of mine once said to me something i think i already knew in my heart...

a woman who would make a good sister would make an equally good mother. they are interchangeable.

something like that. it was that idea. ;)

i do believe my call is to married life. however, it is like i said before, my mind is open to all vocations for now.

It's true. If you wouldn't make a good wife and mother, you wouldn't make a good sister, because that is precisely what a sister is: Bride of Jesus and Mother of souls. By the same token, a good mother and wife would be a good sister :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Nov 22 2005, 10:10 PM']Sometimes we think Marriage and Consecrated Life are polar opposites.

I think that they are complementary.

SHALOM
[right][snapback]798199[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
probably because they are ^_^

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Nov 22 2005, 09:44 AM'][i]...is what bwings us togethah today[/i]....
[right][snapback]797645[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I guess no one has seen [u]The Princess Bride[/u]
:huh:

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Nov 22 2005, 10:10 PM']I think that they are complementary.

SHALOM
[right][snapback]798199[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are right. We have more in common WAIT A MINUTE. :shock:
We don't have MORE in common with each other.
We have everything in common.
We love and serve and follow Jesus.

We have faithfully (I hope) answered His call.
Guys, I think we may just be on the same team here.
Just "different" positions.