An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another discerner

tojo

AlterDominicus

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:38 PM']I want to be a priest......
.....the Church needs priests........
.......does God want me to be one?

:idontknow: I don't know. :idontknow:
[right][snapback]802157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE DISCERNERS!!!!!!!!! WE NEED A DISCERNMENT PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE COME!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: :breakdance: :guitar: :applause: :grouphug: :dancer2: :dancer1: :dancer2: :dancer1: :dancer2: :dancer1: :dancer2: :dancer1: :dancer2: :yes:

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Nov 29 2005, 04:48 PM']YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE DISCERNERS!!!!!!!!! WE NEED A DISCERNMENT PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE COME!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana:  :breakdance:  :guitar:  :applause:  :grouphug:  :dancer2:  :dancer1:  :dancer2:  :dancer1:  :dancer2:  :dancer1:  :dancer2:  :dancer1:  :dancer2:  :yes:
[right][snapback]804296[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend going to an ordination to the priesthood and see what goes on and the power of the laying of the hands. Usually the Bishop has a dinner at his house fo men and their pastors who are discerning the priesthood.

Just a word of advice! We need Holy Parish Priests!

[quote name='the_rev' date='Dec 18 2005, 05:02 PM']I would recommend going to an ordination to the priesthood and see what goes on and the power of the laying of the hands.  Usually the Bishop has a dinner at his house fo men and their pastors who are discerning the priesthood.

Just a word of advice!  We need Holy Parish Priests!
[right][snapback]829870[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've been to discernments dinners with priests, but not with the Bishop. They were really cool though.

I've been struggling with competing desires for marriage and for priesthood the last several months. Now there's a girl in my life, lol, and now the priesthood is looking much less attractive than it did before. To be fair, even before she came around I was at times leaning heavily towards marriage. Even now, I'm open to the will of God, whatever it is.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Philosopher' date='Nov 28 2005, 08:43 AM']Try visiting a diocesan seminary, it helps tremendously.  :)
[right][snapback]802467[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would have to agree there--even if you decide (as I did) that the diocesan priesthood isn't your vocation, it will help you get a good sense of what its like generally. I know that I left the diocesan seminary I first visited totally convicted in my decision to enter [i]some[/i] seminary, althought I wasn't sure at the time which one it would be...

marriage is a vocation as well and a noble one at that. If it is something you are seriously interested in and at this point you think God is calling you there, go for it.

He will let you know if that is not the spot for you. The thoughts about priesthood will keep coming back, etc. (Things like that are usually a good sign to reexamine things and how you think about them.)