An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning choices

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301442755' post='2224458']
Ok! New question! Favorite thing to complain about!!!

Mine is how I haven't heard back from the DSMME since that first email from them and how I haven't heard from the FSP, which I emailed last week. :doh:

[/quote]

If you are emailing with Sr. Elizabeth Ann she is just now getting back to people because they had a Golf Gala. I just heard back from her today.

MargaretTeresa

Ohhhh....Thanks Emilie.

Pax and God bless.

Edited to add: My email came from a Sr. Mary John, if I remember correctly. For some reason, I can't get to my email to double check who it was from... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img]

From what I read, I really kind of liked them. Hopefully I will hear back.

Edited by MargaretTeresa

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301518855' post='2224767']
Ohhhh....Thanks Emilie.

Pax and God bless.

Edited to add: My email came from a Sr. Mary John, if I remember correctly. For some reason, I can't get to my email to double check who it was from... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img]

[/quote]

They are so sweet! Sr. Elizabeth Ann came to a vocation fair at my university and that is how I met her. She was wonderful and we had a lovely conversation about prayer. One of my friends was a postulant with them and has nothing but wonderful things to say about them. What I can tell you is that are looking for women who are happy and outgoing. The application for entrance is quite long and detailed (I've seen it). Also they now have an aspirancy period now instead of immediately becoming a postulant. Once you are a postulant you switch cells every six months. You also need to have a dowry of about $2,000.00 or give them a credit card to have on file because for them as a postulant you are not yet part of the community and so you will need to be able to pay for any expenses incurred such as clothing. Also the postulants and novices live apart from the professed sisters. You will have time to talk to the professed sisters periodically. Every third Sunday is retreat Sunday and everyone is silent all day. I am going to visit them this summer and I am really looking forward to it. You might ask DominicanSoul more about them.

Peace,

Emilie

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301518855' post='2224767']
Ohhhh....Thanks Emilie.

Pax and God bless.

[/quote]

I love sister Mary John! You might want to wait a couple more days, then try again. I'm pretty sure they get a very high volume of email! (A wonderful problem to have)

MargaretTeresa

I'm going to have to come Sunday. This is discouraging me from them a little. I talked to my friend at the Carmelites. Loverly conversation of doing all works in and for God. :) Something I need to keep in mind and at heart.

Pax and God bless :amen:

The DSMME's are very traditional. They were founded by 4 sisters who came from the Nashville Dominicans. After Vatican II they prayed about founding the order. They wanted an order founded on Vatican II instead of one that had to transition. Having a dowry to enter an order is traditional and they are the only Dominicans I have spoken with that require a dowry, however that may be able to be waived depending on circumstances. The moving cells helps you to let go of your worldly possessions besides those that you really need. Oh, you also make your own habit and veil (I thought that was cool). You really need to talk to them. I was not told these things by a professed sister, but by someone who was a postulant with them for a year. Also they do let you go home and take vacations, but no internet for like 2 years. You can write home and you can receive mail. Sundays are typically letter writing time.

Really though talk to Sr. Mary Ruth and check the facts. I might be wrong. They are lovely women and I, with all my liberalism and independence, really am looking forward to meeting all of them.

Emilie

• 3 weeks later...
MeteorShower

[b]What is your favorite color?
[/b][color="#dda0dd"]black, white, grey, brown, blue, pink, lilac...I like colours
[/color]
[b]What covent or abby would you like to enter?????
[/b][color="#00bfff"]I don't know.
[/color]
[b]Favorite saint:
[/b][color="#a0522d"]Francis of Assisi, Therese of Lisieux, Dominic Sovio, Elizabeth Ann Seton, Anthony of Padua, Agnes of Rome
[/color]
[b]Devotions:
[/b][color="#ff00ff"]The Stations of the Cross, the Rosary
[/color]
[b]Name you would like to take and why:
[/b][color="#4169e1"]Something after Mary - obviously
[/color]
[b]Favorite feast day:
[/b][color="#000080"]The Annunciation

[/color][b]Favorite food:
[/b][color="#ffa500"]Cookies! And cake!

[/color][b]Favorite animal:
[/b][color="#2e8b57"]bears, and big cats
[/color]
[b]The food you hate the most:
[/b][color="#ff0000"]Pickles, tomatoes, peppers
[/color]
[b]Hardest part of your discernment:
[/b][color="#800080"]Listening; figuring out if I'm actually called
[/color]

[quote name='the_rev' timestamp='1133318311' post='804652']
What is your favorite color? Marian Blue
What covent or abby would you like to enter????? None.... Probably marriage... still discerning
Favorite saint: St. Norbert; Blessed Damien of Molokai; Bl. Edward Joannes Marie Poppe
Devotions: Rosary, divine mercy, fatima prayers
Name you would like to take and why: Confirmation name is a toss up between norbert, damien, and joannes
Favorite feast day: Christmas, Christ the kIng, Divine Mercy Sunday
Favorite food: Pizza
Favorite animal: Koala Bear
The food you hate the most: left overs
Hardest part of your discernment: no comment
Anything you like to add? I like music. I'm going to major in music....
[/quote]

Six years later let's take a look at the change from my answers:

What is your favorite color? Marian Blue
What covent or abby would you like to enter????? I'm currently a seminarian for my diocese, but I have discerned religious life in the past, Norbertines and Marians of the Immaculate Conception.
Favorite saint: Blessed Mother, St. Joseph, St. Pio of Pietrelcina, St. Francis Xavier, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. John Vianney, St. Philomena, St. Norbert; Blessed Damien of Molokai
Devotions: Rosary, Poor Souls in Purgatory, Divine Mercy, Lectio Divina, Anything Mary
Name you would like to take and why: Confirmation I took Patrick; If I joined an order that would allow me to change my name I'd like Damien Joseph
Favorite feast day: Christmas, Christ the King, Immaculate Conception, Divine Mercy Sunday, Assumption
Favorite food: Pizza
Favorite animal: Dog
The food you hate the most: left overs; ham, hotdogs
Hardest part of your discernment: Knowing if I am called to religious life or diocesan priesthood
Anything you like to add? Graduating from college seminary in just a few weeks and really looking forward to Theology school. In just three years I'll be ordained a deacon and in four years a priest, it's hard to believe. It seems like just yesterday I entered seminary (two years ago), I can't believe I am going to be going through another transition pretty quickly.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300596161' post='2221887']
[b]What is your favorite color?[/b]
[i] Royal Purple[/i]

[b]What convent or abbey would you like to enter?????[/b]
[i]If I could enter any convent, it would be the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, but it is not God's will, so I am discerning with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI and I just contacted the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word earlier today. ;)[/i]

[b]Favorite saint:[/b]
[i]St. Catherine of Siena! I adore her because of her passion for Jesus.[/i]

[b]Devotions:[/b]
[i]I am consecrated to Our Lady Immaculate under the prayer of St. Kolbe. I love Mama Mary so much![/i]

[b]
Name you would like to take and why:[/b]
[i]If I ever get to enter religious life (God-willing), I would love to take the name of Sr. Mary Catherine of the Immaculate (or the Blessed Sacrament).[/i]

[b]Favorite feast days:[/b]
[i]My absolute favorite feast days (besides Christmas and Easter) are the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25th) and the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8th). I love renewing my consecration to the Immaculate on her feast day!
[/i]
[b]
Favorite food:[/b]
[i]I LOVE rotisserie chicken (any good roasted chicken and I'm game). It's delectable with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and a flaky biscuit. :drool:[/i]

[b]Favorite animal:[/b]
[i]I'm a sucker for wildlife and if I don't become a Sister, I plan to become a wildlife biologist/zoologist specializing in the study of African big cats (lions, leopards, and cheetahs). My dog, Lucy, is my very favorite animal. :)[/i]

[b]The food you hate the most:[/b]
[i]Anything squishy is disgusting like mushrooms (excluding portobello and cremini mushrooms), cooked zucchini and squash, ocra, and squid. I also cannot stand cilantro. BLECH!
[/i]
[b]
Hardest part of your discernment:[/b]
[i]I think the most difficult part is when I had to deal with the idea that several religious orders are not accommodating of people with depression, like me. I stopped discerning for about 8 months until I discovered there was hope yet and I was convinced by the Holy Spirit to discern further.[/i]

[b]Anything you like to add?[/b]
[i]I hope people don't mind if I resurrect this old thread. I was doing a search for a religious order I'm interested in and came across this thread and I thought it looked like fun. :)[/i]
[/quote]

I really would like to change my favorite saint from St. Catherine of Siena to St. Elizabeth of the Visitation. For some reason, I totally forgot about her! :cry2: I would love to take her name if I am able to in religious life. She was a humble, beautiful woman who had such faith in God's word when the angel said she would conceive even though she was considered barren. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300596161' post='2221887']
[b]What is your favorite color?[/b]
[i] Royal Purple[/i]

[b]What convent or abbey would you like to enter?????[/b]
[i]If I could enter any convent, it would be the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, but it is not God's will, so I am discerning with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI and I just contacted the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word earlier today. ;)[/i]

[b]Favorite saint:[/b]
[i]St. Catherine of Siena! I adore her because of her passion for Jesus.[/i]

[b]Devotions:[/b]
[i]I am consecrated to Our Lady Immaculate under the prayer of St. Kolbe. I love Mama Mary so much![/i]

[b]
Name you would like to take and why:[/b]
[i]If I ever get to enter religious life (God-willing), I would love to take the name of Sr. Mary Catherine of the Immaculate (or the Blessed Sacrament).[/i]

[b]Favorite feast days:[/b]
[i]My absolute favorite feast days (besides Christmas and Easter) are the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25th) and the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8th). I love renewing my consecration to the Immaculate on her feast day!
[/i]
[b]
Favorite food:[/b]
[i]I LOVE rotisserie chicken (any good roasted chicken and I'm game). It's delectable with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and a flaky biscuit. :drool:[/i]

[b]Favorite animal:[/b]
[i]I'm a sucker for wildlife and if I don't become a Sister, I plan to become a wildlife biologist/zoologist specializing in the study of African big cats (lions, leopards, and cheetahs). My dog, Lucy, is my very favorite animal. :)[/i]

[b]The food you hate the most:[/b]
[i]Anything squishy is disgusting like mushrooms (excluding portobello and cremini mushrooms), cooked zucchini and squash, ocra, and squid. I also cannot stand cilantro. BLECH!
[/i]
[b]
Hardest part of your discernment:[/b]
[i]I think the most difficult part is when I had to deal with the idea that several religious orders are not accommodating of people with depression, like me. I stopped discerning for about 8 months until I discovered there was hope yet and I was convinced by the Holy Spirit to discern further.[/i]

[b]Anything you like to add?[/b]
[i]I hope people don't mind if I resurrect this old thread. I was doing a search for a religious order I'm interested in and came across this thread and I thought it looked like fun. :)[/i]
[/quote]

I really would like to change my favorite saint from St. Catherine of Siena to St. Elizabeth of the Visitation. For some reason, I totally forgot about her! :cry2: I would love to take her name if I am able to in religious life. She was a humble, beautiful woman who had such faith in God's word when the angel said she would conceive even though she was considered barren. :)