An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning choices

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300596161' post='2221887']
[b]
Hardest part of your discernment:[/b]
[i]I think the most difficult part is when I had to deal with the idea that several religious orders are not accommodating of people with depression, like me. I stopped discerning for about 8 months until I discovered there was hope yet and I was convinced by the Holy Spirit to discern further.[/i]

[b]Anything you like to add?[/b]
[i]I hope people don't mind if I resurrect this old thread. I was doing a search for a religious order I'm interested in and came across this thread and I thought it looked like fun. :)[/i]
[/quote]

We're all praying for you in your discernment! And no, don't mind at all. It's much nicer than some of the ones people resurrect and start arguing over discussion from like 3 years ago.

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300597067' post='2221891']
[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]Hardest part of your discernment:[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"]I want my pretty white habit and I want it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

:woot:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1300605693' post='2221895']
[b]Anything you like to add? [/b]
Romans 8:22
[/quote]

That is an amazing verse- and I like 8:23 that goes with it as we "wait for adoption".

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1300630331' post='2221916']
That is an amazing verse- and I like 8:23 that goes with it as we "wait for adoption".
[/quote]

Oops-- Romans 8:22 is good, but I meant to post Romans 8:28!!!!

LaPetiteSoeur

[b]What is your favorite color?[/b] tie between purple and green
[b]What covent or abby would you like to enter?????[/b] Not sure, but a teaching order for sure
[b]Favorite saints[/b]: St Catherine Laboure, St Thomas Aquinas, and St. Ignatius. And St. Andrew
[b]Devotions:[/b] Holy office, rosary
[b]Name you would like to take and why:[/b] Sr. Marie-Catherine Laboure. or Sr. Sacred Heart. I've always loved both devotions.
[b]Favorite feast day:[/b] If you mean holy day of obligation, then the Assumption of Mary. If you mean just feast day, the feast of Catherine Laboure
[b]Favorite food:[/b] gumbo
[b]Favorite animal:[/b] cat
[b]The food you hate the most:[/b] chili and meatloaf
[b]Hardest part of your discernment:[/b] making sure it isn't all in my head and that it's actually God's will

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1300639515' post='2221938']
Oops-- Romans 8:22 is good, but I meant to post Romans 8:28!!!!
[/quote]

Now [i]that [/i]is one of my favorite verses too! :dance:

OnlySunshine

We're all praying for you in your discernment! And no, don't mind at all. It's much nicer than some of the ones people resurrect and start arguing over discussion from like 3 years ago.
[/quote]

Thank you. I truly appreciate the amount of support and prayers offered in the past few weeks. It truly has been a blessing and a testament to the faith. I have gotten in contact with the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and I heard from Sr. Louise Marie today. I just got done emailing her back and I am excited to hear from her again. She invited me to come on a vocation retreat, but that will have to wait since I am unemployed at the moment, but I hope to get a summer job so I can save up some money and make the retreat. :nunpray:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300657419' post='2221965']
Thank you. I truly appreciate the amount of support and prayers offered in the past few weeks. It truly has been a blessing and a testament to the faith. I have gotten in contact with the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and I heard from Sr. Louise Marie today. I just got done emailing her back and I am excited to hear from her again. She invited me to come on a vocation retreat, but that will have to wait since I am unemployed at the moment, but I hope to get a summer job so I can save up some money and make the retreat. :nunpray:
[/quote]

Prayers coming your way! :) You know I have a special interest in this group of Sisters so I am very, very happy to hear that you have contacted them! :) No matter where God is calling you, however, you have my daily prayers! :amen:

[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]
Hardest part of your discernment:[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"]I want my pretty white habit and I want it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/font][/color]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="5"][color="#595959"][size=2][b]
[/b][/size][/color][/size][/font][/quote]

:woot:

[/quote]

I know. I feel like a little kid waiting to get my Christmas/Birthday presents. In my head I am even throwing a temper tantrum. I love the DSMME's habit. The big, long, full Dominican habit. It makes me happy. Then I get jealous because I want mine soooooo bad. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/stubborn.gif[/img]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1300660846' post='2221972']
Prayers coming your way! :) You know I have a special interest in this group of Sisters so I am very, very happy to hear that you have contacted them! :) No matter where God is calling you, however, you have my daily prayers! :amen:
[/quote]

Thank you. My main goal is to stay positive and not let anything in my discernment stand in the way of my relationship with God. I did that in the past and when something would go wrong, I would act like He was punishing me. It was a very flawed way of thinking.

Sister asked me about my discernment and I told her basically everything except my history of depression and the fact that I am still on meds and will be on them for life. I really want to build up a good relationship with this community before I tell them so that they won't see me as someone who is depressed. My depression doesn't define me. I need antidepressants like a diabetic needs insulin. I function 100% normal on my meds, so I pray that if God is calling me there, they will see past my history and be willing to give me a chance. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300661700' post='2221977']
Thank you. My main goal is to stay positive and not let anything in my discernment stand in the way of my relationship with God. I did that in the past and when something would go wrong, I would act like He was punishing me. It was a very flawed way of thinking.

Sister asked me about my discernment and I told her basically everything except my history of depression and the fact that I am still on meds and will be on them for life. I really want to build up a good relationship with this community before I tell them so that they won't see me as someone who is depressed. My depression doesn't define me. I need antidepressants like a diabetic needs insulin. I function 100% normal on my meds, so I pray that if God is calling me there, they will see past my history and be willing to give me a chance. :)
[/quote]

Mater (haha! I called you Mater not Master!) I had the same kind of thing for many years where I thought God was punishing me for some sin I had committed. I eventually figured out that God was not punishing me, it was just life and people's free will.

I love the way you perceive your depression. You have broken out of the mold. So many people see their diagnosis as who they are. They say "I'm a depressive" as though the diagnosis owns them. I imagine you say something like "I have depression" which means it does not own or define you. You are amazing and that is so wonderful. I too have had to go through similar things with communities because I have a traumatic past, but my past does not define who I am now, nor does it haunt me. The community that accepts you will be very fortunate to have someone with such an amazing outlook. God bless you and my prayers are with you.

Emilie

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300596161' post='2221887']
[b]The food you hate the most:[/b]
[i]Anything squishy is disgusting like mushrooms (excluding portobello and cremini mushrooms), cooked zucchini and squash, ocra, and squid. I also cannot stand cilantro. BLECH!
[/i]
[/quote]
:ohno: No cilantro?! I always ask for extra. :blush:

[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]
The food you hate the most:[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"]Beans[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
:o Not even black beans?! Black beans are the BEST!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1300605693' post='2221895']

Spaghetti. Ick.
[/quote]
:nono:

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1300629729' post='2221915']
Caramel.
[/quote]
:banned:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1300640727' post='2221941']
[b]The food you hate the most:[/b] chili and meatloaf
[/quote]
:blink: CHILI?! More for me. :like:

You people are strange. :|

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300662454' post='2221978']
Mater (haha! I called you Mater not Master!) I had the same kind of thing for many years where I thought God was punishing me for some sin I had committed. I eventually figured out that God was not punishing me, it was just life and people's free will.

I love the way you perceive your depression. You have broken out of the mold. So many people see their diagnosis as who they are. They say "I'm a depressive" as though the diagnosis owns them. I imagine you say something like "I have depression" which means it does not own or define you. You are amazing and that is so wonderful. I too have had to go through similar things with communities because I have a traumatic past, but my past does not define who I am now, nor does it haunt me. The community that accepts you will be very fortunate to have someone with such an amazing outlook. God bless you and my prayers are with you.

Emilie
[/quote]

Aw, you brought tears to my eyes. Emilie, you are so kind. Thank you for your support. You are right about the depression. In saying, "I have depression," it sounds as if I own it and it doesn't own me. You want to know how long it took me to get to this point? 10 years! Even after I reverted to the Church in 2007, I still had negativity about the disorder and tried my hardest to get off the medication, but I didn't want to listen to doctors and nurses who told me that I needed to stay on it. I was convinced that if I stayed on it, it was going to define who I was to other people and that was the last thing I wanted. Now, I look at it as a learning exercise in humility. I know that God gave me this disorder to help me grow closer to Him, not to punish me. The things I have learned about myself are amazing gifts. Thank you for your prayers! God bless you. I will be praying for your discernment also. :nun1:

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300678348' post='2222021']
:ohno: No cilantro?! I always ask for extra. :blush:

You people are strange. :|
[/quote]

:o

What?!?!? ME STRANGE!?!?!? NEVER!!! ;)

The funny thing is, since you hang out here, too, you are just as strange as us. LOL! :whistle: :flowers: :kiss:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300679057' post='2222024']
Aw, you brought tears to my eyes. Emilie, you are so kind. Thank you for your support. You are right about the depression. In saying, "I have depression," it sounds as if I own it and it doesn't own me. You want to know how long it took me to get to this point? 10 years! Even after I reverted to the Church in 2007, I still had negativity about the disorder and tried my hardest to get off the medication, but I didn't want to listen to doctors and nurses who told me that I needed to stay on it. I was convinced that if I stayed on it, it was going to define who I was to other people and that was the last thing I wanted. Now, I look at it as a learning exercise in humility. I know that God gave me this disorder to help me grow closer to Him, not to punish me. The things I have learned about myself are amazing gifts. Thank you for your prayers! God bless you. I will be praying for your discernment also. :nun1:

:o

What?!?!? ME STRANGE!?!?!? NEVER!!! ;)

The funny thing is, since you hang out here, too, you are just as strange as us. LOL! :whistle: :flowers: :kiss:
[/quote]

I know how that is. It took me years to accept that the bad things that happened to me were not my fault, that God was not punishing me for some imagined sin. I eventually learned to look at the things that had happened to me as advantages. They have brought me to where I am and made me who I am and allow me to understand things in a way most people can't.

You are so amazing and such a beautiful person. I am so glad I was introduced to PM.

Everyone here is strange. If we were normal we wouldn't be here :lol:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300683083' post='2222030']
I know how that is. It took me years to accept that the bad things that happened to me were not my fault, that God was not punishing me for some imagined sin. I eventually learned to look at the things that had happened to me as advantages. They have brought me to where I am and made me who I am and allow me to understand things in a way most people can't.

You are so amazing and such a beautiful person. I am so glad I was introduced to PM.

Everyone here is strange. If we were normal we wouldn't be here :lol:
[/quote]

LOL, if we weren't crazy in some way, we wouldn't be called to religious life. :dance: :clapping:

God bless you. :flowers: :nun1:

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300679057' post='2222024']
[/quote]
:blush:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300684192' post='2222033']
LOL, if we weren't crazy in some way, we wouldn't be called to religious life. :dance: :clapping:

God bless you. :flowers: :nun1:
[/quote]

Yay for being crazy!!!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]