An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Movie Joshua

Theoketos

littleflower+JMJ

i haven't seen the movie but i agree with anna on these parts...(by the way anna thanks for all your posts on this matter)

and if you ever feel unsure about something on this subject, go with your gut feeling, because its more than likely is...i mean we all know when something smells fishy or raises red flags, its for a pretty darn good reason right?

oh well.....i'll stick with moses and the ten commandments:unsure:, our lady of fatima, the song of bernandette...good movies..... lol_grin.gif

+JMJ

In the Song of Bernadette, I always cry when Our Lady proclaims, "I am the Immaculate Conception." Geesh, I've got goosebumps just writing it! wooooooooh.

That's because, as I understand it, the theologians of the time were arguing over the possibility of Mary having been immaculately conceived. She appeared to a child with that revelation, and it blew all the scholars away.

The Fatima movie, my kids always ;) when the sun begins dancing, and one lady rushes into the camera screaming like a banshee.

I like Hugo...another loveable cinema scoundrel. (See the Do see Pirates of the Carribean thread.)

Pax Christi. <><

IcePrincessKRS

The Fatima movie, my kids always rotfl when the sun begins dancing, and one lady rushes into the camera screaming like a banshee.

Haha! It's been awhile since I watched the Fatima movie, I'd forgotten about that part! ;)

We used to watch all those older movies over and over... 10 Commandments, Song of Bernadette, Fatima, Ben Hur, The Robe, etc. The 10 Commandments was my brother Michael's favorite movie. We watched Ben Hur so much that when Mama went into the hospital to have my brother Matthew and told us all to pick out some names we liked, Mary, who was 3 at the time, wanted to name him A) Ben Hur or B ) Patrick Hur! ;)

Don John of Austria

Anna As I remember Burnedette had her vision just after the Immaculate Conception had been declared by the Pope( which I believe was Blessed Pius the IX) what was so shocking was that an poor girl in Rural france would have known about it--- as I understand it she didn't even know what Immaculate Conception ment

Gospel Dropper

I am deeply suprised at all of your comments- I thought the movie Joshua was beautiful and did not bash Catholicism in any way. It portrayed a priest who was having difficulty loving and accepting people instead of holding so fastly to what he was used to.

I think we need to evaluate our stance in life sometimes and make more room for love. The fact that Joshua makes reference to the pope as Peter only villifies the fact that we have apostolic succession and that he is the leader of the church- if that wasn't true then why didn't he go to Willow Creek's pastor in Chicago?

I am deeply suprised at all of your comments- I thought the movie Joshua was beautiful and did not bash Catholicism in any way. 

Hi Gospel Dropper,

I haven't seen the movie; I've read the book.

Didn't you notice that Joshua is actually Jesus Christ, reincarnated as a new human being with a new name?

It so incorrectly portrays Christ and His Church.

Those who know the Church's teachings and love Her should be offended when reading this simplistic, but taunting book.

It portrayed a priest who was having difficulty loving and accepting people instead of holding so fastly to what he was used to.
In the book, it was every Catholic clergyman who held to the doctrines of the Faith, not one lone priest. They were all portrayed as rigid, unloving, and legalistic--the pope included. The pope gets ticked off because Joshua won't kiss his ring.

I think we need to evaluate our stance in life sometimes and make more room for love.
I'm all for that! Just as long as we don't check our ability to reason at the door.

The fact that Joshua makes reference to the pope as Peter only villifies the fact that we have apostolic succession and that he is the leader of the church- if that wasn't true then why didn't he go to Willow Creek's pastor in Chicago?
It's more popular to bash Catholicism than Willow Creek Fellowship.

By the way....villify? Was that a Freudian slip? :(

Pax Christi. <><

littleflower+JMJ

yeah don johns's right....bernandette had troubling learning her studies including her religion, she was behind in her class and the nun wanted to hold her back since "she didn't know anything", so the bishop was surprised when she said "immaculate conception" because he knew she had never heard those words before Nor understood, thus allowing that it has to be true, since only scholars of that time, knew what that meant.....

as for the ten commandments,my lit brother would always watch that movie, and every single day he would go around the house say.."Moses...oh Moses!!" and "So it shall be written, so it shall be done" and it sounded pretty funny coming from a lit 4 yr old.....

and the bernandette movie, he would play out the parts and actually sing to the choir-type background music...it was hilarious!

Anna As I remember Burnedette had her vision just after the Immaculate Conception had been declared by the Pope( which I believe was Blessed Pius the IX) what was so shocking was that an poor girl in Rural france would have known about it--- as I understand it she didn't  even know what Immaculate Conception ment

Thank you, Don Jon, for that historical clarification. The movie doesn't go into all the details, but with Bernadette being a simpleton, the pastor seems amazed that she would come up with such a phrase.

Were you aware of St. Maximillian Kolbe's role in translating the French saint's depositions?

Pax Christi. <><

Jake Huether

Can you rent the Song of Bernedette at Blockbuster? I don't wan't to have to buy it to watch it. (I'm a little tight on the funds as of late).

IcePrincessKRS

as for the ten commandments,my lit brother would always watch that movie, and every single day he would go around the house say.."Moses...oh Moses!!" and "So it shall be written, so it shall be done" and it sounded pretty funny coming from a lit 4 yr old.....

and the bernandette movie, he would play out the parts and actually sing to the choir-type background music...it was hilarious!

lol I bet.. I can only imagine my little borthers saying that--I have heard them quote "Willy Wonka" though and say "I have a blueberry for a daughter!!!" :lol:

Gospel Dropper

Anna,

I did not read the books, but as far as the movie goes, this is a fictional tale...a what if. And I disagree that it was actually Christ Himself coming back, I would say more like a messanger of Christ.

Do the books clarify this specifically, because it is not clarified in the movie, so one is led to believe that through knowledge of scripture, any good Christian would not pose the idea that Christ would come back for a little love-giving joy ride.

As far as the book portraying Catholic bishops and even the pope as being "rigid", let me quote Pope John XXIII at the second vatican council...just as food for thought- I'm not siding with the book or movie here :)

"We need to rid ourselves of the imperial dust which has collected on the throne of Peter"

This really is food for thought, and I would have to agree that I was disappointed that the movie only chose to show Catholic rigidity, because it exists in many churches. Nonetheless, you have to admit that tis was a great message.

I have met priests who were like the one spotlighted in the movie- rigid, no room for the spirit of the law, little show of love, and those priest left bad traces with me.

I would have to say that the message is real.

Gospel Dropper

I am new to this website, but I have to ask. WHy is it that under my name I have the description of LUrker???